Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Zboril

Ullmark
Swayman

Swayman 3 million
Frederic 2 million
Lauko .900k

0.3 million in space..........plus 2.35 if we send down Megna, Wortherspoon and Brown which gives us 2.65 total. This team looks completely different if Bergy and Krejci come back for a million each. Zacha moves to 2LW. Or if Bergy comes back and no Krejci, try Merkulov in the top 6 with Zacha and Pasta.

Outside of Bergy and Krejci, I really hope one or both of Gryz and Forbort get dealt. Hanifin with McAvoy would be my pipe dream.

I think when we make out our lineups we need to take into account that the Bruins promised Geekie more opportunity in Boston and that is why he signed here.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
well half measures wont work. they need a new center core

Zacha is a pretty solid #2 and only 26yrs old. You have guys like Frederic, Harrison, Locmelis, Merkulov, Beecher that could fit somewhere in those bottom 2 center roles (though I have higher hopes for Harrison). So really you need a #1C, which is we're being honest there are very few legit #1C's in the NHL. Again I have hopes of Harrison playing more to the 2C level and then you throw is Poitras who has top 6 upside as well. Do we have any of those sexy name/can't miss center prospects? no, but I thinking blowing it up to hope you can try and draft one isn't the best idea either.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
& yet with all that scoring he’s s losing player on the ice.
He doesn’t play a second of defense and his the longer the Bruins delay the rebuild signing old players the easier it will be for teams like Florida and Carolina to send them to the shuffle board and golf
Oh my Bergeron and Scheif Me !!!!

Report: Bruins ‘have expressed some interest' in Jets center Mark Scheifele

Mon, Jul 3, 2023, 10:45 AM EDT·2 min read

The Boston Bruins are going to need another top-six center in the very near future, regardless of whether Patrice Bergeron and/or David Krejci retire this offseason.
Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle played well as the top two centers in Games 3 and 4 of last season's first-round playoff series against the Florida Panthers, but you're probably not winning a Stanley Cup if those two guys are your No. 1 and No. 2 centers. Zacha and Coyle are better suited as No. 2 and No. 3 centers, respectively.
The Bruins are well-positioned to take advantage of next summer's expected increase in the salary cap. Boston is projected to have around $30.8 million in cap space next offseason, per CapFriendly.

This was in article which jives with moving Ullmark would be $35 M

The Bruins are not down on Ullmark where he’s got to be guy going

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’d love Lindholm

I’d like Scheifele. But I also wouldn’t pay a premium to acquire him. And honestly- with all the noise that surrounds him and the contract coming due I don’t think it would take a premium package to get him. If he’s as much of a defensive anchor as we believe then you better believe front offices across the league know it too

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Bruins are well-positioned to take advantage of next summer's expected increase in the salary cap. Boston is projected to have around $30.8 million in cap space next offseason, per CapFriendly.

This was in article which jives with moving Ullmark would be $35 M

The Bruins are not down on Ullmark where he’s got to be guy going
Just to be clear that would be with a 10 man roster. Gives them some flexibilty and room to sign 1 big ticket piece if someone's available.

Assuming Swayman and Frederic sign this year for a combined 5.5m, that leaves 30 million for 6 or 7 more Fs and 4 more D.

Pencil in Lysell, Beecher, Laukko and Lohrei and Bussi as backup.

Leaving about 25 million for 3Fs and 3D. 1 10 million guy at F. and a handful of 3m guys.

If Aho doesn't re-up (I think he will) he'd be the guy to go after. None of the other Cs are all that attractive, except for Matthews and he's either resigned or traded to someone who will resign him.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Avs fan here, I made a roster from both sides on capfriendly, and I didn't really know your side of things but would you accept a trade of

Girard
Oskar olausson (20yr Rw)
Draft pick

Grzelyck
Frederic's rights
Draft pick

Your top 4 would be a combo of Girard, McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo basically the next 4 years
No from the Bruins........

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just to be clear that would be with a 10 man roster. Gives them some flexibilty and room to sign 1 big ticket piece if someone's available.

Assuming Swayman and Frederic sign this year for a combined 5.5m, that leaves 30 million for 6 or 7 more Fs and 4 more D.

Leaving about 25 million for 3Fs and 3D. 1 10 million guy at F. and a handful of 3m guys.

If Aho doesn't re-up (I think he will) he'd be the guy to go after. None of the other Cs are all that attractive, except for Matthews and he's either resigned or traded to someone who will resign him.
I know he’s not a center but I’d love to get Nylander at RW

He’s impressed me the most

Give me him resign DeBrusk & sign Hanifin

Marchand - Zacha - Pastrnak
DeBrusk- ??????- Nylander

??? Could be Coyle, merkulov a UFA or guy developed

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Zacha is a pretty solid #2 and only 26yrs old. You have guys like Frederic, Harrison, Locmelis, Merkulov, Beecher that could fit somewhere in those bottom 2 center roles (though I have higher hopes for Harrison). So really you need a #1C, which is we're being honest there are very few legit #1C's in the NHL. Again I have hopes of Harrison playing more to the 2C level and then you throw is Poitras who has top 6 upside as well. Do we have any of those sexy name/can't miss center prospects? no, but I thinking blowing it up to hope you can try and draft one isn't the best idea either.

unfortunately those center options arent getting the Bruins anywhere against the elite talent of the league. maybe they can fill a roster but elite talent wins

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I doubt Sweeney does anything else. He’s going to make the goalies work hard this year. He’s got his vets that he signed. He’ll bring in a couple of rooks and hope they play good with the help of the vets. Looks like TFred gets a bridge along with Swayman. Also the big issue with DeBrusk is to go with him I guess.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Don't count on Lysell not physically ready , as a matter of fact he should be a piece used in a deal that helps this team.
I would like to see Loheri but the question is he ready yet , maybe 15-20games in Providence , I am not sure.....
Lauko has earned a shot to be a regular on this team...
Beecher the clock is ticking , has the tools size, speed and plays a position that is needed ,. I say give a good run of games and it is up to him to take advantage if can't time to move on..........

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
On the Jets board the two deals that Jets fans likes were:

Swayman + Carlo

Or

Swayman + Lysell + 2025 1st

After you bend over and take it from the Jets, you get to sign MS to a let’s say 6x9 deal that takes him from 31-37. What could go wrong?
Yeah but you have to cut that in half because it’s the Jets board. No different than here. Nobody wants to do a deal unless it’s completely lopsided and we’re only giving up players we don’t want anymore.

That said, rumors I read on the Jets board said there is very little interest in Scheifele, so the Jets are trying to decide if they should just keep him or trade him at a discount.

Fwiw, I think Scheifele would be an exciting experiment for a year, but I wouldn’t give up Sway for him, and I wouldn’t want to extend him long term at age 30.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Marchy-XXXX-Debrusk
XXXX-Zacha-Pasta
JVR-Coyle-Frederic
Lucic-Geekie-Lauko
Greer

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Zboril

Ullmark
Swayman

Swayman 3 million
Frederic 2 million
Lauko .900k

0.3 million in space..........plus 2.35 if we send down Megna, Wortherspoon and Brown which gives us 2.65 total. This team looks completely different if Bergy and Krejci come back for a million each. Zacha moves to 2LW. Or if Bergy comes back and no Krejci, try Merkulov in the top 6 with Zacha and Pasta.

Outside of Bergy and Krejci, I really hope one or both of Gryz and Forbort get dealt. Hanifin with McAvoy would be my pipe dream.
They’re not putting Geekie on the 4th line. Get that out of your heads now.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah but you have to cut that in half because it’s the Jets board. No different than here. Nobody wants to do a deal unless it’s completely lopsided and we’re only giving up players we don’t want anymore.

That said, rumors I read on the Jets board said there is very little interest in Scheifele, so the Jets are trying to decide if they should just keep him or trade him at a discount.

Fwiw, I think Scheifele would be an exciting experiment for a year, but I wouldn’t give up Sway for him, and I wouldn’t want to extend him long term at age 30.
I am with you not giving up Sway or Carlo for him and his next contract will suck much like his defense , so lets move on from him..........

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

The issue is even a Ryan Johansen deal for him would require a major move to fit him. Not sure that’s worth it.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
& yet with all that scoring he’s s losing player on the ice.
He doesn’t play a second of defense and his attitude is abysmal.

There’s plenty of people who see him more as a winger than as a center.

Now give up all the rest of the valuable assets they have and sign him to a longterm 9M deal at 31y.
It’s going to be an achor and his game screams red flags all over
Everyone wants out of Winnipeg. Wheeler, Hellybuck. His lack of D is exaggerated, he’s had selke votes before and is a plus player for his career. He also has more takeaways than giveaways. That whole Winnipeg culture is toxic, not just a single player.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He'd need to seriously improve his defensive effort to make us a "contender" honestly. As I mentioned in a previous post, he was on the ice for nearly 40% of WPG's GA at 5v5 last season. You just cant have that with your #1C, at least not in my book.
I don’t think your math is right on that. According to NaturalStatTrick, Scheifele was on the ice for 55 goals against at 5v5. Connor was on the ice for 59 goals against. Dubois, Wheeler and Lowry are all in the mud-30’s for goals against.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
That was the first time MS hit 40, but he is a PPG center. But what is he scoring if he isn’t cherry picking AS A CENTER all the time and actually plays average defense? 70 points? 60? I think it would be worth it to bring him in, but not paying a premium in trade assets AND then giving him a big long bad contract. Jets fans are currently wanting the moon for him and while that’s just the fan base, it’s also a group that the Jets will have to sell the trade to. I think he stays a Jet and they overpay him.
He scored 29+ goals 6 times. 40 isn’t a huge reach for him. Playing between Pasta & Marchand would bring him closer to 90-100 pts. Not 60pts

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Avs fan here, I made a roster from both sides on capfriendly, and I didn't really know your side of things but would you accept a trade of

Girard
Oskar olausson (20yr Rw)
Draft pick

Grzelyck
Frederic's rights
Draft pick

Your top 4 would be a combo of Girard, McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo basically the next 4 years
I don't know why folks are down on this deal. I quite like it.

Girard is legit top four and would pair very well with Carlo. He'd also become the Bruins' top powerplay point man, as he has been a little squeezed out of that role in Colorado. The vast majority of his point totals have come even strength as a result, but I doubt the thought of trading him would even be entertained if he was given PP1 duties and the opportunity to produce at his 2021 level.

Olausson I'm sure has disappointed a little since his draft year, but he is supremely talented and would automatically be in the Bruins top 5 prospects (3rd arguably). Excellent shooter, natural RW. He's young and a great prospect.

I don't know what the picks are, but I assume they were put in to the proposal to even out either side. I say leave em out. That's a great trade proposal - thoughtful to both teams' needs. And one I would absolutely accept.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That was the first time MS hit 40, but he is a PPG center. But what is he scoring if he isn’t cherry picking AS A CENTER all the time and actually plays average defense? 70 points? 60? I think it would be worth it to bring him in, but not paying a premium in trade assets AND then giving him a big long bad contract. Jets fans are currently wanting the moon for him and while that’s just the fan base, it’s also a group that the Jets will have to sell the trade to. I think he stays a Jet and they overpay him.
No part of this character.

the longer the Bruins delay the rebuild signing old players the easier it will be for teams like Florida and Carolina to send them to the shuffle board and golf courses.
I'm fine with a bridge year.

It is past time for the Bruins to see what they have in their prospects and begin integrating them with the big club.

As Nick Colagio recently pointed out, Boston doesn't hand their prospects a job.

They have to earn it.

Bringing in veterans past their prime who nonetheless are proven NHLers is one way to ensure this.

None of those contracts are onerous in any fashion and can be jettisoned at any time.

If the vets are needed, they can certainly hold the fort for a single season. At 24, Geekie's contract is basically 2X2, as he may prove part of the plan going forward.

Will they make the playoffs? That may depend on Bergeron's decision.The Bruins are unlikely to go far in any case.

Again, I'm okay with that. I'm more interested to see how the kids do. The return of Looch should be entertaining (and instructive for the prospects) as well.

Boston will be an underdog, below the radar. As noted elsewhere, Jim Montgomery might be better suited to coaching a team like this than a loaded one.

I'm curious. It should be fun.

Last edited:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I don’t think your math is right on that. According to NaturalStatTrick, Scheifele was on the ice for 55 goals against at 5v5. Connor was on the ice for 59 goals against. Dubois, Wheeler and Lowry are all in the mud-30’s for goals against.

He's actually correct. It's 37% of the 5v5 goals but its also 33% of the 5v5 ice time.

Scheifele is one of the worst defensive centers around but so is everyone in WPG (except my boy Ehlers.) Their D is bad, their forwards don't play defense and their system yields a lot of chances. Most of their forwards score but the production is totally empty. Connor, Scheifele, Wheeler etc all put up points every year but they give back as much as they gain. It would be worse if Helly wasn't an all world goalie.

I don;t think this player makes much sense but I also don't think a contending team is playing Geekie in their top 9 so I'd open minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad