Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That first penalty lauko took was absolute horseshit tho in fairness
Amongst all the bad things that went wrong the last 3 games that series this has kind of been forgotten, but it really was atrocious and it's entirely possible that if they don't make that horrendous call right off a faceoff right after we just tied it, leading to Florida taking the lead right back, we probably close that series out that night. One of the worst penalty calls of the whole postseason, pure star favoritism/punishing a rookie. Changed the gameflow altogether.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We lost Hall because Sweeney and guys like you wanted Bertuzzi ,and that blew up in his face..........You have to Coyle because you have two centers that might not comeback , and that is turning into a ritual that we have to wait to see who wants to play next year.................

Nothing blew up in Sweeney’s face.
I’m not even a fan of his but you can’t blame him for giving us all the best RS team of all time, a team that blew it!

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I will keep saying it until somebody listens: Coyle does not fill a role on a traditionally built team. Even improved Coyle is not a good enough checker to play checking center. He also is not a good enough scorer to play a regular top 6 role. He is the leagues' most individually talented tweener, and very lucky to have his contract and not be a journeyman.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Coyle was 49th among centers in even strength points last year. Here's a list of centers he outscored...

Patrice Bergeron
Elias Lindholm
Nazem Kadri
Sam Bennett
Sam Reinhart
Max Domi
William Karlsson
JT Compher
Kevin Hayes
Kuznetsov
Anders Lee
Eriksson Ek
Phillip Danault

He doesn't put up big point totals because he doesn't get much PP time on a team with Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, DeBrusk... but at even strength he was better than a lot of 2nd line centers, despite getting 3rd line minutes and starting 54% of his shifts in the Dzone.
He also can play with talent jumping up games 3 and 4 in Florida to center Marshy & Jake

We lost Hall because Sweeney and guys like you wanted Bertuzzi ,and that blew up in his face..........You have to Coyle because you have two centers that might not comeback , and that is turning into a ritual that we have to wait to see who wants to play next year.................
Hilarious take
Thank you for making me laugh

Reactions: Number6

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
By this logic, neither Swayman nor Ullmark look like #1 Gs and McAvoy doesn't look like a #1 D.

Like you said, handful of games really isn't what you should make season long decision on.

I'm saying my assessment that Charlie Coyle is not a viable #2C is based on seasons worth of games I've watched him play and his career stats, and a small handful of games does not change that assessment.

How is that anything even remotely illogical?

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
By this logic, neither Swayman nor Ullmark look like #1 Gs and McAvoy doesn't look like a #1 D.

Like you said, handful of games really isn't what you should make season long decision on.

I'm responding twice to this because it pissed me off after I saw a bunch of people liked it.

This isn't even remotely related to what I said. It's literally the opposite. Someone said Coyle looked pretty good playing up in the start of the series. I said a handful of games is meaningless.

By THAT logic I am not saying ullmark and swayman suck. That's literally the opposite of my point.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Coyle was 49th among centers in even strength points last year. Here's a list of centers he outscored...

Patrice Bergeron
Elias Lindholm
Nazem Kadri
Sam Bennett
Sam Reinhart
Max Domi
William Karlsson
JT Compher
Kevin Hayes
Kuznetsov
Anders Lee
Eriksson Ek
Phillip Danault

He doesn't put up big point totals because he doesn't get much PP time on a team with Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, DeBrusk... but at even strength he was better than a lot of 2nd line centers, despite getting 3rd line minutes and starting 54% of his shifts in the Dzone.
AND, HIS ROLE IS NOT TO SCORE POINTS FOR THE BOSTON BRUINS.

HIS ROLE IS TO PREVENT POINTS BEING SCORED ON THE BOSTON BRUINS.

Are we clear?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He also can play with talent jumping up games 3 and 4 in Florida to center Marshy & Jake

Hilarious take
Thank you for making me laugh
Glad I could help , sounds like you could use it...........now I am laughing

Nothing blew up in Sweeney’s face.
I’m not even a fan of his but you can’t blame him for giving us all the best RS team of all time, a team that blew it!
had nothing to do with the RS , I was talking about him wanting to sign Betuzzi and trading Hall ........

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I will keep saying it until somebody listens: Coyle does not fill a role on a traditionally built team. Even improved Coyle is not a good enough checker to play checking center. He also is not a good enough scorer to play a regular top 6 role. He is the leagues' most individually talented tweener, and very lucky to have his contract and not be a journeyman.
So he’s a 3C? Ok.

Reactions: hrdpuk

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If Bergeron is coming back, I feel like Freddy gets traded after his arbitration outcome, assuming it’s closer to his number than the Bruins numbers. They’ve signed plenty of low risk bottom six guys and have several young guys that could potentially fill that gap.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm responding twice to this because it pissed me off after I saw a bunch of people liked it.

This isn't even remotely related to what I said. It's literally the opposite. Someone said Coyle looked pretty good playing up in the start of the series. I said a handful of games is meaningless.

By THAT logic I am not saying ullmark and swayman suck. That's literally the opposite of my point.
Sorry, I was agreeing with you. The logic I was talking about was the one that said 3 games is enough to say someone will be good as a 1st line C.

I guess I wasn't clear enough.

• Love
Reactions: EverettMike

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Tanner Jeannot signs for 2 years at $2.665M AAV. Wonder if we'll see Frederic sign around that number.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yeah, 70% Dzone starts in the playoffs and people are mad because he didn't score more?

If ever there was a case for an 'eye test' guy this is it.

Charlie Coyle's career playoff numbers are an abomination, and that's even when you include 2019, the only playoff run of his life when he was a + player.

In 2019 he was +8 and had 16 points in 24 games while being a total beast, but that is a huge outlier compared to literally every other post-season of his NHL career.

His career playoff numbers tell a far more complete story: 106 games, 47 points, -29.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Preach! He is Morgan Frost or Frederic Gaudreau at more than twice the cap hit.

It is amazing that there are always one or two polarizing players on this team who are overrated by their supporters and don't get enough credit from their detractors. I love Frederic but lots on this board don't value him or flat out hate him. I think Coyle is a decent 2 million cap hit 3rd line center with plenty of flaws others see him as a second line center which I think is absolutely insane. Same with Grizz, to me nothing more than a bottom pair or depth D, others the greatest thing size sliced bread.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Tanner Jeannot signs for 2 years at $2.665M AAV. Wonder if we'll see Frederic sign around that number.
Good comparable. I love Jeannot but would not trade Federic for him straight up. I can see Frederic getting 3m plus now

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille