2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
any breakdown?
I will do one for Dvorsky and Sale because I was really interested in both of them.

Dvorsky
I will start with the good his faceoff ability and defensive positioning were both on display. He knows where to be on the ice on both sides of the puck. His passing was good on the powerplay he made a couple of nice passes. One was a Sedin tip try, he also made a really nice cross-ice pass that his teammate flubbed and did nothing with.
But there was a bunch of bad for the most part on the powerplay he was content to defer. He was not looking for his shot which is a strength and also did not seem to possess high-end offensive IQ or creativity. Looks to make the safe play too much. Obviously, it was one game but he needs to assert himself more in this tournament because he is the best player on his team. His skating looked terrible worse than I have seen when I watched him play this season. Maybe it was because it was my first time watching him on a big screen but wow did he look slow. He was caught not moving his feet multiple times when he was trying to take off and go full speed it looked like he was going 80% as fast as some of the other players on the ice. Compete looked bad tonight which is not something that I have seen before. In the first minute of overtime, he brought the puck up from the goal line and there was no explosiveness or burst in his skating he tried to take the defencemen wide and he realized it was a bad idea so he cut back and circled into the offensive zone.

Sale
Again will start with the good his puck skills and creativity are high-end, and there will be small subtle plays he does that are really impressive. He looked a lot bigger against kids his own age than against men was surprised how big he looked. Skating was good not a ton of explosiveness but in small areas, he was a little quicker than I originally thought. On his goal not sure he could have placed that shot any better. Spent some time on the penalty kill although I think everyone had to pk (Czech was very undisciplined). But he made a couple of nice defensive plays.
Again same with Dvorsky, they were some bad things. He looked disengaged for large parts of the game, especially in the first half where he looked invisible. Did not look like a play driver and waited for his teammates to do the heavy lifting for him. His playmaking which is usually a strength was not very good tonight outside of one or two plays. He had a really bad turnover in overtime that lead to a good chance for Dvorsky which he shot right into the goalie's crest. Puck control was not good and his compete for loose pucks was almost non-existent. There were plays where if he was more aggressive he easily wins the puck battle instead he just disengaged.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Pellikka dominated and looked like Heiskanen. Smooth and elite hockey sense.

Could see Washington take him at 8. Would love him on the Canucks giving a future top 4 of

Hughes - Hronek
Pettersson - Sandin Pellikka

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
That’s the issue with ASP, great talent, but is the team built to take on another 5’10” OFD? I’ve seen him listed at 5’9” on a few sites.

Still, I’d have no problem with the Canucks drafting him if they think the answer is yes though. I’ve been on the fence about it. High probability he makes the NHL with his IQ and skill.

By the time ASP is in his prime Hughes will be gone so it's fine. He's 6 years younger than Hughes.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Axel Sandin Pellikka is elite and a player the Canucks seriously consider at 11 if he is available.

His skating is remarkable and rivals Quinn Hughes but he is a RHD.

I like Reinbacher but Sandin Pellikka is a special talent in a position of need for tha Canucks.

I have seen several of the highly rated prospects play live and by comparison, Sandin Pellikka appears to be a true phenom.

He is a player to watch at the U18s.

Check this out:

Shit he looks unreal

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Axel Sandin Pellikka is elite and a player the Canucks seriously consider at 11 if he is available.

His skating is remarkable and rivals Quinn Hughes but he is a RHD.

I like Reinbacher but Sandin Pellikka is a special talent in a position of need for tha Canucks.

I have seen several of the highly rated prospects play live and by comparison, Sandin Pellikka appears to be a true phenom.

He is a player to watch at the U18s.

Check this out:

All this whining about missing out on Reinbacher but Sandin Pellikka legitimately looks better than him.

Dude's skating is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo smooth. He's got some swagger too.

A Quinn Hughes-esque defenseman on the right side would be massive.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That’s the issue with ASP, great talent, but is the team built to take on another 5’10” OFD? I’ve seen him listed at 5’9” on a few sites.

Still, I’d have no problem with the Canucks drafting him if they think the answer is yes though. I’ve been on the fence about it. High probability he makes the NHL with his IQ and skill.
The short answer is yes.

Reactions: andora

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Short ha, gotcha.

In any event, he should go higher than 11 now...

Edit: Interesting, Malloy said no Dman should be taken in the top10. Hmmm...

Just listened to Shane Malloys interview on Canucks Talk

Ill summarize for those who didnt listen:
-hard to predict who Canucks will pick and what attributes they value
-not much different from 7th to 11th spot
-likes Dvorsky. Says he’s improved his skating and Canucks could like him especially since theyre thin at C. Big body, playing in the pro league. Fits what the Canucks need, probs 2-3 years away. Very young, only 17
-Not super convinced on ASP - sees him top out as a #3 guy
-Sees Reinbacher as a two way guy but also tops out at a #3 as well but bigger
-doesnt see any top pairing dmen in this draft at all… just see #3/4 guys in the first round. No top pairing guys in this years draft. However sees a lot of too end forwards
-says he will be surprised if a dman goes top 10
-says Yager might slip on draft day but could be a steal
-thinks Sale is a high risk/high reward player. Reminds him of Daniel Sprong. Hasnt been too impressed with his game, doesnt think he should be drafted that high

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
At our drafting position, I think it's best to aim for a player with the highest ceiling since we don't even have 1 elite prospect atm.

ASP sounds like a very good option.

At this point we might not even be able to get him.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Craig Button on the broadcast said he thinks ASP is the best defenceman in the draft also, said he has top pairing potential. When asked who he reminds him of he compared him to Sergei Zubov.

Also side note Lardis, and Wood looked really for Canada earlier. And Stenberg is legit some swedish posters on here have said his season was more impressive than Dvorskys.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here's Dobber Prospect's spring ranking. Fun read with a decent write up for each player.

1) Connor Bedard
2) Adam Fantilli
3) Matvei Michkov
4) Leo Carlsson
5) Zach Benson
6) Oliver Moore
7) Will Smith
8) Andrew Cristall
9) Dmitri Simashev
10) Axel Sandin Pellikka
11) Jayden Perron
12) Ryan Leonard
13) Gavin Brindley
14) Riley Heidt
15) Quentin Musty
16) David Reinbacher
17) Dalibor Dvorsky
18) Nate Danielson
19) Mikhail Gulyayev
20) Luca Cagnoni
21) Otto Stenberg
22) Colby Barlow
23) Samuel Honzek
24) Calum Ritchie
25) Brayden Yager
26) Oskar Fisker-Molgaard
27) Caden Price
28) Eduard Sale
29) Gabe Perreault
30) William Whiteclaw
31) Luca Pinelli
32) Ethan Gauthier

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Here's Dobber Prospect's spring ranking. Fun read with a decent write up for each player.

1) Connor Bedard
2) Adam Fantilli
3) Matvei Michkov
4) Leo Carlsson
5) Zach Benson
6) Oliver Moore
7) Will Smith
8) Andrew Cristall
9) Dmitri Simashev
10) Axel Sandin Pellikka
11) Jayden Perron
12) Ryan Leonard
13) Gavin Brindley
14) Riley Heidt
15) Quentin Musty
16) David Reinbacher
17) Dalibor Dvorsky
18) Nate Danielson
19) Mikhail Gulyayev
20) Luca Cagnoni
21) Otto Stenberg
22) Colby Barlow
23) Samuel Honzek
24) Calum Ritchie
25) Brayden Yager
26) Oskar Fisker-Molgaard
27) Caden Price
28) Eduard Sale
29) Gabe Perreault
30) William Whiteclaw
31) Luca Pinelli
32) Ethan Gauthier
Interesting list: like seeing Moore ahead of Smith. Canucks could use that kids speed

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I keep watching ASP really close, I just don’t see it.

There’s no doubt his skating, passing, and overall vision is up there.

I just don’t feel he’s creative enough with the Puck, I also don’t feel he has confidence, which can be taught, when he does have the puck in the defensive zone, mostly.

He’s pretty good on the powerplay, don’t let some of his goals for you, his shot from what I have seen, seems to be below average.

He’s really good at getting it through though, so I could definitely see him, putting up a ton of points from that, but velocity, I just don’t see it.

I’m gonna continue keeping an eye on him.

I haven’t seen many defensive breakdowns from reports, I also feel his board work has been pretty decent.

He is a bit of a rover on the point as well, always moving, I love that aspect.

Overall, I think getting picked around 15 makes sense.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I also want to update my opinion on Cristall.

I think the thing I’m missing with him is that, a lot of people think that his quick edge, Work, Turns, reading the play, and making that quick move from side to side will translate.

I just don’t see it, I think that’s why so many people have him ranked higher, he does have a elite vision, he does have elite passing ability, his office of tool kit is really nice.

But again, I don’t see it translating. When you have big defenseman’s coming at you, those little moves left, and right, will become nonexistent.

And he’s gonna kind of be floating around.

He’s either going to be the next, Kyle wellwood, or the next Johnny Gaudreau.

I’m gonna continue to watch his tapes, and focus closely on them, as well as others as the tournament goes through.

Here is a good example of a play im talking about.

It’s fancy, highlight reel, but I just don’t see it translating.

I really hope I’m wrong

Last edited:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Yager is interesting, what I’m really liking about his game, he has a serious tenacity about him.

He also has a serious knack at being in the right position.

Also, it’s clear that he’s a step up above so many players, when it comes to two way ability, proper positioning, is easy for him, being on the right side of the puck, just a lot of small things I’m noticing.

Impressive

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Eduard Sale is another interesting name I’m keeping an eye on.

Let’s start with the negatives this time, I don’t want to use the word lazy, but the lack of compete is hilarious.

So many times I’ve seen him go into a corner, and basically say f*** it, no hit, nothing just a fly by.

But whats really interesting about him, is when he has the puck, he might be one of the most fun prospects to watch.

Just a bull, really good hands, skating is better than I thought.

And when he shoots, he has this cool lean back effect, similar to how bedard rips it.

Must be deceptive, keep an eye on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad