2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously we're not getting Bedard, but even moving up four five spots in this draft would be huge.

But every draft lottery is the same......You say that surely this has to be the one where the Canucks actually move up a few places. And then the lottery balls fall and they're either staying put where they are or even dropping a few spots.

That's just the 'Canuck curse' when it comes to lottery balls.

Reactions: wetcoast

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I love that when someone brings up experience playing hockey as a reason that perhaps their insight might be more in-depth compared to someone who can't skate it gets poopooed on these boards. But please tell me more about your gambling and how that means you're an expert on the NHL draft.

relax... he was literally just chatting about his past time. jfc

Obviously we're not getting Bedard, but even moving up four five spots in this draft would be huge.

But every draft lottery is the same......You say that surely this has to be the one where the Canucks actually move up a few places. And then the lottery balls fall and they're either staying put where they are or even dropping a few spots.

stop trying to make this a thing. it's not a thing

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Teams move way up to the top 3 all the time. Bedard is going to be an instant star and being four or five spots higher would have had a tangible and significant value.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019

What is this? Why do I repeatedly see people talking about moving up a few spots in the draft lottery? Are there new rules to the lottery this year or am I so dumb that I can't comprehend the basic rules? Because as far as I know, you either win 1st place, or you win 2nd place. With an incredibly small chance of a near-playoff team moving up only ten spots. That is all the moving up you can do. And the odds are basically so small that it isn't worth discussing moving up for any team let alone ours.

But I keep seeing people talk about the draft lottery say things like it would be nice to move up just a few spots. What is this? Please help.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
What is this? Why do I repeatedly see people talking about moving up a few spots in the draft lottery? Are there new rules to the lottery this year or am I so dumb that I can't comprehend the basic rules? Because as far as I know, you either win 1st place, or you win 2nd place. With an incredibly small chance of a near-playoff team moving up only ten spots. That is all the moving up you can do. And the odds are basically so small that it isn't worth discussing moving up for any team let alone ours.

But I keep seeing people talk about the draft lottery say things like it would be nice to move up just a few spots. What is this? Please help.

Unless they are talking about a trade you’re right, it’s utter nonsense.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Because people here (on twitter, CDC, everywhere to be honest) are crying that if we did this and did that instead we MIGHT have ended up with a SLIGHTLY better draft position. Mostly people just whining for the sake of whining... it doesn't help when we have guys like Thomas Drance pounding the drum about OH IF WE DID XYZ WE WOULD HAVE BEEN 8th INSTEAD!!!

Completely disregarding that the draft is completely open this year aside from the top 4 talents. 5-13 is pretty much a toss-up at this point.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Its your opinion.

Did you forget we are 2 regulation losses from 8th? We can get to that by just doing simple deployment changes.

Sell Kuzmenko at the trade deadline and give Demko ~4 less starts and we are in 7th territory.

What a weird response by you yet again.

Youve really dedicated your self to this narrative of yours (and ~5 other posters) here havent you?

Yes trading Kuze is living in a fantasy world...

Reactions: alternate

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don't want to say you're wrong... because you're certainly entitled to your own opinion.

But there's literally no professional scouts saying this at all.

Curious if you think this is still the case.

Looks like there are 10-13 prospects in about the same range after the top 4 talents.
I still think there is a top 8/9
I watched multiple separate Podcasts, and even watched some of the local shows, including faber and co, and they have all mentioned how the drop is after moore, solidifying my stance.

That being said, there is one player that slowly perking up for me.

I’m gonna post my top 10 soon, I just wanna see a bit more

Last edited:

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I still think there is a top 8/9
I watched multiple separate Podcasts, and even watched some of the local shows, including faber and co, and they have all mentioned how the drop is after moore, solidifying my stance.

That being said, there is one player that slowly perking up for me.

I’m gonna post my top 10 soon, I just wanna see a bit more

Is Moore even going to go ahead of Leonard or Perreault? Their draft stock is going way up from this WJC.

Last edited by a moderator:

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Because he's arguably the team's most important player, is returning from a serious injury, and needs to play and rebuild his confidence. Any team outside of maybe Arizona would do exactly the same thing -- it doesn't mean they aren't strategically taking reasonable steps to get a better pick.

The type of tanking you're suggesting the Canucks should do is only done infrequently by teams planning to bottom out for several seasons, because the human/psychological cost for teams in any other situation is too high.
If Petey extends and quotes the fact we gave it our darndest to fight for 22nd place rather than 28th, I'll give it to you. Otherwise a losing season is a losing season.

Reactions: Lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad