2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

Axel Sandin Pellikka is elite and a player the Canucks seriously consider at 11 if he is available.

His skating is remarkable and rivals Quinn Hughes but he is a RHD.

I like Reinbacher but Sandin Pellikka is a special talent in a position of need for tha Canucks.

I have seen several of the highly rated prospects play live and by comparison, Sandin Pellikka appears to be a true phenom.

He is a player to watch at the U18s.

Check this out:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
What on earth does what the team was doing in 2015 have to do with what they're doing now?

This 'doing the same thing for the last 10 years' is such a lazy take it's unbelievable.

From 2014-2018 they were trying to extend the Sedin window and failed miserably. They failed so miserably that they out-tanked teams actually trying to lose and accidentally ended up with a good core of young high draft picks.

They built around those young high draft picks for exactly 1 offseason (2019) and had reasonable success until their previous stupidity and terrible signings came back to bite them in the ass, and they spent the 2020 and 2021 offseasons going backwards.

Trying to build around Hughes/Pettersson/Demko isn't something that 'been happening for the last 10 years' and is in fact something that hasn't really even happened yet at all.

You think this would be pretty obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills ... but apparently not.
If you forget history your doomed to repeat it, ever heard that before?

Maybe you just don't like it because your so consumed with believing in a false hope?

Anddddddd then proceeded to f*** up by not surrounding them with balance and more good young players, and then traded away multiple 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, 3rd rounders, good young players etc. and now have one of the worst prospect pools in the league all while being one of the most mediocre teams out there, with a management group that has no interest in filling it back up.

Reasonable success? LOL they got into the playoffs because of a f***ing pandemic, had the season gone on they would have finished near the bottom of the league the way the team was playing. Getting into the playoffs that year was probably the worst thing that could have happened to this team, it gave our boneheaded owner and GM ridiculous hopes that never ever existed in real life.

No it hasn't, but this same playbook of trading picks and being up against the cap, along with an absolutely useless ability to build a blue line, both with free agent signings, drafting and trades. Even Hronek, good dman, wrong timing, both injured and requiring a hefty raise on a team with no money and no hope.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Who are you guys most looking forward to seeing at the U18s? will be interesting to see who rises their stock.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Axel Sandin Pellikka is elite and a player the Canucks seriously consider at 11 if he is available.

I like Reinbacher but Sandin Pellikka is a special talent in a position of need for tha Canucks.

I have seen several of the highly rated prospects play live and by comparison, Sandin Pellikka appears to be a true phenom.

Check this out:

He is talented, but does he fit what we need, we already have Quinn, Hughes, I’m guessing Hronik it’s going to be here for a while.

We have a serious I need for defensive D with size, and Center depth.

I don’t think it would be a reach, but where does he fit exactly?

Especially if he won’t be on the first pp

Reactions: Raistlin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He is talented, but does he fit what we need, we already have Quinn, Hughes, I’m guessing Hronik it’s going to be here for a while.

We have a serious I need for defensive D with size, and Center depth.

I don’t think it would be a reach, but where does he fit exactly?

Especially if he won’t be on the first pp
Never draft for need. We don't know when or if the player joins the NHL club. We don't know what we will need at that point.

Just pick the most valuable asset available. (See. I ducked the nasty phrase that some people here hate)

Reactions: Nomobo

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Check this out:

Thanks for finding this. ASP looks like a dynamite talent who could be a top pairing guy. He's got some flaws but there's no denying he's very skilled with a high ceiling.

The same guy has a video for Reinbacher.

I am just a casual draft fan but Reinbacher seems somewhat meh for someone touted as a top-ten pick. He also seems to suffer a bit from tylermyersitis, also known as chaosgiraffium.

I should add that I like the style of the guy who made these videos. He's got a bunch more that are worth a look.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Several of the Top Canadian Prospects are on the team but the Swedes appear to be a cut above them.

Following the U18s over the years, there appears to be a high concordance between performance at this tournament and performance in the NHL.

The Canucks should probably consider adjusting the draft rankings accordingly.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Not surprising that ASP looks good at u18. He even looked good at the u20 WJC.

Thought both Carlsson and him stood out positively.

Thing is that's another sub 6 foot defenseman. Eventually we need dman with size.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Did not know Matthew Wood had ties to Nanaimo. Love that :')

Although, good god:

I was in my first year of high school by the time this guy was born, I'm getting old

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I dont think we can afford to draft ASP but I think there will be teams ahead of us who will. He just have too many of the same type of Dman and as you saw with Karlsson and Burn in San Jose it doesnt work

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The key is to get rid of other dead weight sub 6' foot Dmen and replace one of them with ASP.

The team that drafts him will likely get a steal and those that don't will probably take a "Granlund" like Detroit did instead of taking Quinn Hughes.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
If you want an idea of Dvorsky skating. Watch the 15:30 mark of the third period of the Czech vs Slovakia game.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Not surprising that ASP looks good at u18. He even looked good at the u20 WJC.

Thought both Carlsson and him stood out positively.

Thing is that's another sub 6 foot defenseman. Eventually we need dman with size.

That’s the issue with ASP, great talent, but is the team built to take on another 5’10” OFD? I’ve seen him listed at 5’9” on a few sites.

Still, I’d have no problem with the Canucks drafting him if they think the answer is yes though. I’ve been on the fence about it. High probability he makes the NHL with his IQ and skill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad