Rumor: 2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: Will Sleepy Mac wake up for the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There was a comment after the Eller trade that the Avs don’t necessarily see him as a bottom 6 player. Compher has been productive and actually has been more than a grinder this year (a contract year). But there are still times when he doesn’t convert chances when set up by someone else. If you put Eller with Rantanen, you might see more chances being converted. The problem is what happens in the bottom 6?
If the Avs view Eller as more than a bottom 6 guy, the problems run WAY deeper.

Good news, they don’t view him as more than that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
FWIW, Friedman said there was no chance Lindholm was getting traded and "basically" no chance Backlund was getting traded.

Both him and Marek also said they wouldn't be surprised if Hayes is going to CBJ around the draft.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I kinda wonder if they're trying to force Mikko into the 2C role.

I'd be like we have one, you did it in the playoffs just fine. You'll do it when you want to win and it matters because you're making 9M and you want to win.

What if not getting a 2C was making a point. Either you want the job when it matters or you don't. We know he can.

I believe we have such a deep forward squad, that doesn't even have to reply on JT in the top 6.

+ Erod played with Crosby, and did really well. He could do that with Mackinnon
+ Rants is an amazing center - every time he gets a chance there, he excels. We'd have a Crosby / Malkin combo
+ Our 3rd and 4th line full strength is possibly the best I've ever seen it if the below happened:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - E-Rod
Lehks - Rantanen - Nuke
Newy - Eller - Compher
Cogs - Helmer - LOC
(Nieto)

Then imagine Makar, Toews, G, Byram, EJ and Manson feeding them all the puck ! OOOOOFFFFF !!

The Colorado All Stars !

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
FWIW, Friedman said there was no chance Lindholm was getting traded and "basically" no chance Backlund was getting traded.

Both him and Marek also said they wouldn't be surprised if Hayes is going to CBJ around the draft.
Lol the punishment for Hayes continues eh. First in Torts' doghouse, then scratched, then moved to wing, then sent to Ohio.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Bednar’s exact statement.
I don't rememeber which reporter made the comment about Eller possibly playing above 3C but I doubt they had a reason to make it up. But fair enough.

I'll also point out that the person you're quoting is the same person who said Newhook would be the 2C for several months. He pivoted on that pretty quickly. For all intents and purposes, Rantanen is the 2C - at least at the offensive end. If you look at Compher's stats, he's comparable to other 2Cs - because he's playing next to Rantanen. Given what it would cost, I'm not sure they're hype focused on following the classic template for line construction.

You might as well say the Avs are trying to replace Giambi. Because what they're doing is kind of the same thing.

Last edited:

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
If we can get to the finals, I'm pretty confident. Whoever comes out of the east will have been through hell
Will have been thru hell, and will be all revved-up & rarin' to put JTC, Jack Johnson, Lars Eller, Sam Girard, Evan Rodrigues, Dennis Malgin & few other guys thru hell too...possibly including Gimpy Gabe & Pylon EJ!

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
"I certainly don't know where they're at in terms of return to play. We'll get a further update on EJ next week."

So, let me get this straight. Even keeping his cards close to his vest, does that comment sound like CMac is a confident guy who knows that Landeskog is gonna be the knight in shining armor showing up to save the day come playoff time? Or that EJ is gonna come back healthy & rarin' to go, and capable of skating more than 3mph? What about Josh Manson?

I'm also of the belief that Avs upper management has no faith that this team has the horses to go on another successful Cup run, so they got a couple of retreads in Eller & Johnson to make it look like they were "all-in," knowing full well those 2 deals barely moved the needle even 1°. Only time will tell, but I'm predicting Avs fans are gonna be cursing CMac's name if the Avs are able to scrap their way into the Finals, only to be overwhelmed by a stacked top-to-bottom Boston, Rangers, NJ, or Toronto team (or whoever), who actually did go "all-in."

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moops

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I have an issue with the waiting. Avs wait too long to do business. For instance, if we had put EJ on LTIR immediately after knowing the extent of his injury, and were serious about upgrading, we could've got Henrique before Anaheim stupidly kept playing him.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
I have an issue with the waiting. Avs wait too long to do business. For instance, if we had put EJ on LTIR immediately after knowing the extent of his injury, and were serious about upgrading, we could've got Henrique before Anaheim stupidly kept playing him.
Yup, seems like McDud doesn't know how to and will never know how to play 5D chess

Reactions: AvsWraith

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I may have missed it but have we heard what the cap is gonna be and if not when should we hear?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I am truly disgusted that a team, in the middle of their contending window, added Lars Eller as their main deadline piece. Say the prices were too high, say the right players weren’t there, it doesn’t matter. Five years from now we’ll look back on this and wonder why they didn’t do anything. Look how aggressive TBL have been in the last few years, and tell me there’s nothing the Avs can do. Chris MacFarland should be ashamed.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Omg that goal against was the Avs trade deadline in hockey form! Lol

Wrong thread whoops: point still stands tho

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
13 million of LTIR room wasted because McFarland is a p***y.

I was told by many knowledgeable posters that having no LTIR space due to the aforementioned returning early was likely the reason we didn't make a move...as opposed to CMac being an awful GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad