Rumor: 2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: Will Sleepy Mac wake up for the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I would've total phrased a question at his presser like this, with the imminent return of EJ and Gabe do you feel comfortable with the lineup?

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’m much less of a “spend everything this season no matter what to have the best chance at this years cup” poster than most are here, mainly because I think the Avs will remain top 10 contenders for the next 5+ years and that this year is not the be all end all like some do. I do agree that this year is one where the team is best positioned to win and that it will become more difficult as the years go on, but often times teams in that 5-10 range go on to win the whole thing so I do not think saving this years 1st is the end of the world. The Avs are about to enter their San Jose, Pittsburgh, or Washington phase where they make the playoffs for a decade straight, there will be many chances in this window no doubt about it.

Knowing what we know now, I would not have minded a Puljujarvi or Drouin trade for what would have amounted to basically nothing.

I don’t hate keeping the first though, Avs will be one of the only contending teams along with Carolina this summer that has one for when a good player inevitably becomes available.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I’m much less of a “spend everything this season no matter what to have the best chance at this years cup” poster than most are here, mainly because I think the Avs will remain top 10 contenders for the next 5+ years and that this year is not the be all end all like some do. I do agree that this year is one where the team is best positioned to win and that it will become more difficult as the years go on, but often times teams in that 5-10 range go on to win the whole thing so I do not think saving this years 1st is the end of the world. The Avs are about to enter their San Jose, Pittsburgh, or Washington phase where they make the playoffs for a decade straight, there will be many chances in this window no doubt about it.

Knowing what we know now, I would not have minded a Puljujarvi or Drouin trade for what would have amounted to basically nothing.

I don’t hate keeping the first though, Avs will be one of the only contending teams along with Carolina this summer that has one for when a good player inevitably becomes available.
Or Jakub Vrana. The Blues picked him up (50% retained) for absolutely NOTHING--a 2025 7th round pick & a 27 yr. old career minor league nobody who'll never play a single NHL game. That's an absolute no lose steal of a deal for the Blues, and it could've been for the Avs too.

The Avs could've played him the rest of the regular season to see if he developed some chemistry with the team, while seeing how committed he was to working hard & keeping himself on the straight and narrow. Francouz could've befriended the guy too giving him a fellow Czech to lean on if needed.

If Vrana heated up, you'd have a legit top 6 offensive threat for NOTHING. If he became another Galchenyuk, you'd bury his ass in the AHL & cut him loose after next season. That was a no risk, high reward kind of move that could've been pulled off by CMac if he had inquired about the guy. Not to be though, since dumpster diving was the "safer" course of action in his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I's starting to think we are working with a real money cap.
It's not even that. Contracts are usually LTIR insured. So Landy's (on anyone on LTIR) paychecks are partially or entirely paid with insurance money.

Also there's not a lot of real money left to be paid at this time of the year anyway.

The only logical thing I can see right now is they plan on using that first round pick in a way to help them with next year's cap crunch.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh there is one in one respect at least. It’s pretty obvious. Just look at how few buyouts the Avs have ever executed. And never, not once did they utilize amnesty buyouts both times they were available.
Avs are definitely a budget team when not contending but that's not the reason they didn't make any trade at the deadline.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I am truly disgusted that a team, in the middle of their contending window, added Lars Eller as their main deadline piece. Say the prices were too high, say the right players weren’t there, it doesn’t matter. Five years from now we’ll look back on this and wonder why they didn’t do anything. Look how aggressive TBL have been in the last few years, and tell me there’s nothing the Avs can do. Chris MacFarland should be ashamed.
Call me crazy, but I'd rather give up an entire draft class for the guy that could be the missing piece than give up a 2nd for Lars f***ing Eller :dunno:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

I said it about a month ago! Landeskog wont play a single game this season. Not even in the playoffs. It´s becoming more and more clear.

Same goes for EJ. Whoever thought his revocery time will be 6 weeks must have been heavy drunken.

We had 13 Mill in capspace and did nothing, not even made the broker to grab a pick or something....

That´s just unforgivable. Period. Our GM has thrown away this season on friday afternoon. And the day after we got spanked by a team whose GM at least understood he needs to add some depth.

Lars Eller for a 2nd (i heard the party in Washington is still going) and the anual AHL-Swap..... Man, i´m pissed. And more so 2 days later when reading that statement from Bednar. What a gong-show..... Unbelievable.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I said it about a month ago! Landeskog wont play a single game this season. Not even in the playoffs. It´s becoming more and more clear.

Same goes for EJ. Whoever thought his revocery time will be 6 weeks must have been heavy drunken.

We had 13 Mill in capspace and did nothing, not even made the broker to grab a pick or something....

That´s just unforgivable. Period. Our GM has thrown away this season on friday afternoon. And the day after we got spanked by a team whose GM at least understood he needs to add some depth.

Lars Eller for a 2nd (i heard the party in Washington is still going) and the anual AHL-Swap..... Man, i´m pissed. And more so 2 days later when reading that statement from Bednar. What a gong-show..... Unbelievable.

Ownership might not have been willing to spend 13 million (or any amount) above the cap. The teams that troll the cap regularly have owners that are willing to overspend, like Tampa, Vegas, Toronto, Chicago

It was a big paradigm shift to get a really goalie coach or to start hiring people from outside the org like Macfarland and Bednar, and we were a budget team until we became contenders.

Remember that the purpose of the cap is cost certainty for owners, not league parity. So some teams find ways to overspend, some like Arizona underspend, and others like Colorado are in the middle, relying on that cost certainty.

Reactions: Galactico

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

How much did the Avs pro scouts take a hit because of this?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

How much did the Avs pro scouts take a hit because of this?

It’s hard to tell for certain after just one year, he was part of the team when we had an almost identical trade deadline two years ago. Maybe they make trades like they did this season to lull teams into a false sense of security…?

If we would have had a good trade deadline I think we clearly would have been placed at the top of the West. CMac got to confident with the Avs ability due to that 6 game win streak.

I think we’re probably around the third choice in the West for the cup after Dallas and Edmonton.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s hard to tell for certain after just one year, he was part of the team when we had an almost identical trade deadline two years ago. Maybe they make trades like they did this season to lull teams into a false sense of security…?

If we would have had a good trade deadline I think we clearly would have been placed at the top of the West. CMac got to confident with the Avs ability due to that 6 game win streak.

I think we’re probably around the third choice in the West for the cup after Dallas and Edmonton.

That reply has a lot of bonus opinion. LOL. But regarding the change in scouting. I point this out because there’s a lot of truism amongst Avs fans about how great the pro scouting is. But is it still? You’d think losing one scout wouldn’t make a huge difference but who knows? The article said he had been advising the GM. Maybe he was crucial in tying all the information together or maybe he became extraneous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad