Rumor: 2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: Will Sleepy Mac wake up for the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If we're healthy I feel the same, but we're not lmao
Would John Klingberg have made you feel better or worse?

I do wonder how far we pushed out the boat in talks with other teams like Philly, Florida, and Calgary. Who knows what Philly is doing, strange that they didn't try to gather some picks.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Would John Klingberg have made you feel better or worse?

I do wonder how far we pushed out the boat in talks with other teams like Philly, Florida, and Calgary. Who knows what Philly is doing, strange that they didn't try to gather some picks.
Klingberg >>>> Dermy

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It wasn't a good deadline, but the rest of the West didn't get much stronger either. So if the Avs can get healthy and stay relatively healthy in the playoffs they'll have a shot at getting back to the finals, then hopefully whoever makes out of the bloodbath that is the East went through a long first 3 rounds.

I wish we would have added someone and Compher as 2C isn't ideal but the top 6 is still really good and the team should be able to hang in the West.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
So that tells me he got offered a 5th or less.

Just take the pick, dude. JVR is walking for nothing now.
Fletcher probably thought he was getting a return like Nashville got from Tampa Bay, not realizing his player didn't hold any real value.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not using the LTIR money is the biggest missed opportunity Imo.

It’s pretty rare that the most convenient contract (EJ) suffers a season ending injury.
I was so f***ing happy when I learned that EJ broke something and would likely miss the rest of the season.

I'm sure not proud of that now.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It was recognized at the end of last season that the team required a legitimate 2C. Mgmt had all season long to address the issue. All ..... season ...... long.

And did not do so in any substantive way.

Instead, they bring in Eller to play 3C which solidifies JTC as 2C.

Hope it works. But this years trade deadline reminds me of the past Soderberg and Nemeth exercise in futility.

P.S. Maybe I missed it but has EJ been placed on LTIR? Yet?

Does this mean they expect him to play before they exit the Playoffs?

To me, none of this adds up to a successful 2023 repeat. Hope I am wrong...

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So that tells me he got offered a 5th or less.

Just take the pick, dude. JVR is walking for nothing now.
Well, to be fair, the deal fell through because Yzerman couldn’t clear the cap room in time.

Still, he did absolutely NOTHING to try and move players for futures. Like, what the f*** are they doing in Philly? Are they rebuilding? Are they tanking? Are they just retooling? What are they doing?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Shocking result. This deadline should prove the Avs front office are not an ambitious group. They don't understand the cup window and won't go all in when they should. Eventually the window will pass and they went for it once, such a missed opportunity as this group could have done more.

Last year was an exception. Every other season it has been the same dumpster diving cautious approach.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Shocking result. This deadline should prove the Avs front office are not an ambitious group. They don't understand the cup window and won't go all in when they should. Eventually the window will pass and they went for it once, such a missed opportunity as this group could have done more as opposed to chasing a 2nd Cup.

Last year was an exception. Every other season it has been the same dumpster diving cautious approach.
Avs leadership is probably real proud of themselves for hanging on to their 1st round pick. Wow! Like that guy is gonna be a big difference maker 5 yrs. from now when the Avs are in the NHL doormat club instead of chasing a 2nd Cup.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs will have a cap nightmare this off-season. They're at $70M with 13 players signed. I suspect that weighed too heavy on their mind. They didn't want to add any kind of salary or salary commitment (in the form of an expensive RFA). We complain about JTC as a 2C, but Avs won't be able to keep him next year because he'll be too expensive.

Sometimes you have to deal with the future when it comes and just go nuts anyway. You can always cover that face tattoo with a clown motif in the future.

I'm sure they tried finding out what was out there and deemed it too costly one way or another given that most sellers were in the West and prefer to trade their players to the East but that's no excuse. They have to find a way.

Last edited:
Reactions: dahrougem2

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Thanks mate - I love you too :thumbu:

I kinda wonder if they're trying to force Mikko into the 2C role.

I'd be like we have one, you did it in the playoffs just fine. You'll do it when you want to win and it matters because you're making 9M and you want to win.

What if not getting a 2C was making a point. Either you want the job when it matters or you don't. We know he can.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
But.. they still didn't add a top six forward. JT is more valuable as the 3C. So who is the 6.

Yeah, they think they can just swap JT and Mikko. Maybe they can, but I'm sorry. I don't really believe in Eller as a contending 3C. More of a 4C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia