Rumor: 2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: Will Sleepy Mac wake up for the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
After sleeping the night, I guess you can draw the conclusion that they are expecting all of our injured guys back. And well before the end of RS. Now that's 6 weeks from now. But they must be expecting even Landy to be back 2 weeks before the end.

I'm still confident in this teams ability to beat anyone if healthy. A big if, considering how things went down last playoffs. The style of play will be different, as it has been the whole season. We lost a lot of scoring depth, but our defense as a whole has been better, and our goaltending has been very stellar all season. The latter part is especially important here.

Reactions: Foppberg

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Avs will have a cap nightmare this off-season. They're at $70M with 13 players signed. I suspect that weighed too heavy on their mind. They didn't want to add any kind of salary or salary commitment (in the form of an expensive RFA). We complain about JTC as a 2C, but Avs won't be able to keep him next year because he'll be too expensive.

Sometimes you have to deal with the future when it comes and just go nuts anyway. You can always cover that face tattoo with a clown motif in the future.

I'm sure they tried finding out what was out there and deemed it too costly one way or another given that most sellers were in the West and prefer to trade their players to the East but that's no excuse. They have to find a way.

If that's the case we should have gone all-in now.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
After sleeping the night, I guess you can draw the conclusion that they are expecting all of our injured guys back. And well before the end of RS. Now that's 6 weeks from now. But they must be expecting even Landy to be back 2 weeks before the end.

I'm still confident in this teams ability to beat anyone if healthy. A big if, considering how things went down last playoffs. The style of play will be different, as it has been the whole season. We lost a lot of scoring depth, but our defense as a whole has been better, and our goaltending has been very stellar all season. The latter part is especially important here.
My theory is that either they feel all the injured guys are coming back fine before the end of the RS and they didn't want to play the Kucherov game
OR
they feel too many guys wont be able to comeback, even in the playoffs, and that puts them in a hole that they can't trade themselves out of

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m still not sure whether any team in the East is better than Tampa. Vasilevskiy is a huge advantage that they have.

Like with Kuemper on the Avs last year, several East teams have goalies who are playing above themselves and can easily come crashing down to earth. Then what? That’s not a prediction but would it really be shocking?

I’m just floored that the Avs still have their 1st. And if they still have their 1st, maybe they’re not bothered if it’s not the 32nd pick?

Reactions: AvsWraith

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
If that's the case we should have gone all-in now.
There should have been no other option in MacFarland's mind other than going all-in at the TDL. No one says he had to pull off a Pierre Lacroix level blockbuster trade, but only adding Jack Johnson & Lars Eller? Seriously? Sorry Chris, but this current Avs team is nowhere close to being as good as they were last season (other than in net), and you didn't do a damn thing to shore things up other than going bargain bin hunting at the Dollar Store yet again. Nice job buddy!

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
There should have been no other option in MacFarland's mind other than going all-in at the TDL. No one says he had to pull off a Pierre Lacroix level blockbuster trade, but only adding Jack Johnson & Lars Eller? Seriously? Sorry Chris, but this current Avs team is nowhere close to being as good as they were last season (other than in net), and you didn't do a damn thing to shore things up other than going bargain bin hunting at the Dollar Store yet again. Nice job buddy!
Avs are fine, I'm glad they didn't throw away assets. All Tampa did was pay through the nose for 5 goal scorer Jeannot.

Enjoy the ride a healthy Avs team is still the team to beat. I mean the Oilers only added Ekholm. Far too much over reaction here

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I kinda wonder if they're trying to force Mikko into the 2C role.
He's been running his own line and it's been effective. He's having a career year, and doing it away from Mackinnon for the most part.

We didn't have that last year. Not like we do now.

I don't think many people here are considering how successful the second line has been this season.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
The day after... and i still can´t believe this deadline.....

Prayin that some players get healthy or this team stay healthy (because your depth is shit) and that JT Compher can hold the fort as 2C in the playoffs isn´t exactly a good plan.....

In my personal opinion our GM threw away this season yesterday.

But whatever, it´s done. Let´s hope for the best.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Prayin that some players get healthy or this team stay healthy (because your depth is shit) and that JT Compher can hold the fort as 2C in the playoffs isn´t exactly a good plan.....

If we can get to the finals, I'm pretty confident. Whoever comes out of the east will have been through hell

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

Same. But I’m less worried about Compher. I’m just surprised the Avs still have their first. And I think there’s a lot to interpret from that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s not about any positional need for me. It’s just that they had assets (1st rounder) and endless cap space and didn’t do anything. Just utilize it man. I know they struck out on the real target (ROR) but that doesn’t mean you can’t use your 1st on anything else.

The only way Cmac can prove me wrong that this deadline wasn’t a failure is if he wins the cup. Anything less than a Stanley Cup means it was a complete failure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’s not about any positional need for me. It’s just that they had assets (1st rounder) and endless cap space and didn’t do anything. Just utilize it man. I know they struck out on the real target (ROR) but that doesn’t mean you can’t use your 1st on anything else.

The only way Cmac can prove me wrong that this deadline wasn’t a failure is if he wins the cup. Anything less than a Stanley Cup means it was a complete failure.
The 2nd paragraph 100%. Is what it is now, but that’s the measuring stick. If it works, he’s a genius. If it doesn’t, he failed.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I think CMac did not like any of the options he had, when it comes to 2C, so he decided to stay put. Which is something i understand. I saw someone here posting “we were dreaming about Hayes, but CMac this and that….” and thought what the f***, no, i was definitely not dreaming about run of the mill average player like Kevin f***ing Hayes. Its like saying you were dreaming about JT Compher.

Better get proper players when they become available, dont panic buy bang average players that are not much better what we already have, because its what we should be doing because thats the norm or everyone else does.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Everyone still acting like the LTIR money is a sure thing. We may have no one on LTIR come playoffs time. Sakic and CMac aren't the type to stash someone on LTIR for longer than necessary. If they were, they would have done so. This tells me they think Landy, and EJ will be back before the playoffs. Or they didn't like any of the options enough.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I think Eller is a good add. He has a lot of skill that’s useful around the net. Not many guys are currently providing scoring finish. I know he hasn’t been productive with Washington this year but he’s been a productive player recently and he might have more scoring opportunity if the Avs have a mostly healthy D group.

I can also see this as a mini audition. He’s 33 and so his next contract probably isn’t going to be overly tremendous. So the Avs might have it in mind to keep him as a cost effective bottom 6 player.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Everyone still acting like the LTIR money is a sure thing. We may have no one on LTIR come playoffs time. Sakic and CMac aren't the type to stash someone on LTIR for longer than necessary. If they were, they would have done so. This tells me they think Landy, and EJ will be back before the playoffs. Or they didn't like any of the options enough.

I think EJ’s timeline puts him our until the playoffs. Just from a standard recovery time for a broken ankle.

I imagine they would like to get Landeskog into a few regular season games though.

I do think there’s some validity to the thought they didn’t love some of the options available. I’m not saying it’s the right decision, but it may have factored in. Colorado likes very specific players that fit within their system. That’s why they go after players who have played for them before. They also put a lot of stock into having a strong locker room. Having guys who are high character and play for one another.

I’m not letting them off the hook, because I think those things can be accomplished while still adding a player, but it’s probably part of their thinking.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
As we saw last year, when Kadri went down and Compher was elevated to 2C we were no longer the well oiled juggernaut in the playoffs. We actually looked quite vulnerable at times during this. Same as two years ago when Kadri was suspended.

JTC might prove as all wrong but once playoffs come around, all bets are off when the pressure and intensity is revved up. I just lack any confidence in him and his abilty to form a great Stanley Cup winning 2nd line. If our 2nd line is exploited, we are cooked. Our top six was the difference last year and being able to roll essentially two 1st lines.

The LTIR money, retention on the Eller deal, and keeping our 1st round picks, I just can't wrap my head around not be aggresive and going all in on the last year of Mackinnons sweetheart contract.
I agree with what you're saying but there is one difference regarding JTC : in those previous seasons, he wasn't in a contract year like he is this year. If he gets caved-in regularly or plays with indifference like he's not dialed-in, it's going to cost him real $$$ this summer. I think JTC has the ability to play well when he's focused, moving his feet and giving it his all - he just doesn't do it consistently and for the first 3 years of that contract, he did it very sporatically.

I think CMac did not like any of the options he had, when it comes to 2C, so he decided to stay put. Which is something i understand. I saw someone here posting “we were dreaming about Hayes, but CMac this and that….” and thought what the f***, no, i was definitely not dreaming about run of the mill average player like Kevin f***ing Hayes. Its like saying you were dreaming about JT Compher.

Better get proper players when they become available, dont panic buy bang average players that are not much better what we already have, because its what we should be doing because thats the norm or everyone else does.
I think you're right. It's very possible that CMac called Calgary about Lindholm and they told him that they don't want to do that right now but if they can't re-sign him with 1 year left on his contract this summer, that they will move him. Pretty much the same situation the Avs are in with Devon Toews.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I think CMac did not like any of the options he had, when it comes to 2C, so he decided to stay put.

Sorry, but that´s a lame excuse. He had, what, 8 months to solve this hole. Everyone knew by the end of november that Newhook is not going to be this 2C, neither is Compher (and don´t get fooled on that).

Many in here warned what will happen if you wait until TDL: You will find yourself in a bidding war and out of options pretty soon. And that´s what happened. Simple as that. It´s ok and what´s done is done, but i don´t need to hear any standard phrases afterwards in any presser.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't know who said it yesterday on here but the more I think about it, it's the only logical explanation as to why we did nothing yesterday.

Internally they know we are f***ed this year with injuries and we aren't going to get anybody back any time soon. So they didn't bother wasting resources trying to go all in. They'll just see what happens this year, and hopefully get some injury luck next season.

If that isn't the explanation, then CMac should be shown the door, for incompetence. Hell even if it is the explanation his seat should be extremely hot, still doesn't explain why a 2C wasn't found in 9 months. 1 gaping hole never even remotely addressed. Literally he had 1 job and failed.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

He's had 9 months to find a 2C. You can't tell me that in 9 months not one viable trade option or ufa for a 2C hasn't come up.

In fact I can guarantee Kadri wanted to be here, unfortunately our dipshit GM couldn't make the tough decision and choose Kadri over EJ or Girard.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
There was a comment after the Eller trade that the Avs don’t necessarily see him as a bottom 6 player. Compher has been productive and actually has been more than a grinder this year (a contract year). But there are still times when he doesn’t convert chances when set up by someone else. If you put Eller with Rantanen, you might see more chances being converted. The problem is what happens in the bottom 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad