Rumor: 2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: Will Sleepy Mac wake up for the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Sucks for the Leafs that they are in the East and will face Tampa in the 1st round no matter what. Boston in the 2nd if they get that far.

Any playoff spot in the West would be an easier path.

Last edited:

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If Calgary continues to faulter, maybe go after Lindholm.
I can't see that happening considering he has one more year after this one and Flames and Treliving are very much in win now mode with the amount of contracts they have that will turn into pumpkins in a couple years' time.

Even if they drop out of the playoff race this year, they'll want to give it another go next season.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Great trade by Toronto. I mean whose going to compete with Matthews, Tavares, and ROR down the middle. ROR is going to wreck havoc on the third line and as a plus act as a shut down line.

Seems like the name of the game is to get creative and get teams to take on salary in order to stack your roster.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Center is obviously not the Leafs are of greatest need but they sure could use more guys like ROR. They’re at least starting to identify the type of players you need to win in the playoffs.

As for us, is it sounding like we’ll be able to make use of EJ’s cap hit for the rest of the year? That would definitely open up our trade options.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Center is obviously not the Leafs are of greatest need but they sure could use more guys like ROR. They’re at least starting to identify the type of players you need to win in the playoffs.

As for us, is it sounding like we’ll be able to make use of EJ’s cap hit for the rest of the year? That would definitely open up our trade options.
You have to wonder about the ask on D. Teams are probably tethered to the Chiarot deal. So maybe you can be creative and help your D by adding a “buy low” option like ROR. There’s some risk but this is not the worst move you will see.

And for all we know, the foot might have been a problem from the outset of the season.

At least he’s going to the East.

Reactions: tucker3434

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
You have to wonder about the ask on D. Teams are probably tethered to the Chiarot deal. So maybe you can be creative and help your D by adding a “buy low” option like ROR. There’s some risk but this is not the worst move you will see.

And for all we know, the foot might have been a problem from the outset of the season.

At least he’s going to the East.

A 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is not buy low. Buy low would have been like a 2nd and a 4th

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
You’re really going to go into this nitpicking tedium? There were other parts of the deal.

And you can view 1sts in different ways based on circumstance, no? Dubas and the Leafs have a lot riding on this season. In relative terms, yes, you can say it was a small price to pay.

@Linds

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Great trade by Toronto. I mean whose going to compete with Matthews, Tavares, and ROR down the middle. ROR is going to wreck havoc on the third line and as a plus act as a shut down line.

Seems like the name of the game is to get creative and get teams to take on salary in order to stack your roster.

This trade is going to turn out terrible for them if they don’t do damage in the post season. And with Tampa and Boston practically locked in as their first two opponents there’s a good chance everyone is laughing at Toronto again come April.

Murray/Samsonov vs Vasey? Lol good f***ing luck.

This reeks of a desperate move from a GM who has spent his entire tenure not understanding where his teams weaknesses are.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
You’re really going to go into this nitpicking tedium? There were other parts of the deal.

And you can view 1sts in different ways based on circumstance, no? Dubas and the Leafs have a lot riding on this season. In relative terms, yes, you can say it was a small price to pay.

@Linds
Yes, Dubas is definitely on his last straw. He's going to push all his chips forward this year. They probably add a top 4 d man as well at the TDL

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I’m not threatened by Toronto. Their Cs except Matthews are aging and their backend isn’t strong. Tampa will eat them.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Calgary continues to faulter, maybe go after Lindholm.
Never gonna happen.

I’m not threatened by Toronto. Their Cs except Matthews are aging and their backend isn’t strong. Tampa will eat them.
If their goaltending holds up and the important players stay healthy, Toronto should take care of Tampa. The Bolts’ best chance is if Vasilevskiy goes full beast mode.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That trade is another example of why Friedman’s speculation can’t be ignored, even if he does it more and more.

Yesterday on the podcast he “wondered” if the Blues might package two of their tradeable assets together and specially mentioned O’Reilly and Toronto. Then like 14 hrs later the trade happens. He knew that was being worked on when he said it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think people are really underrating Toronto’s defense… it isn’t high end, but it is deep. Lilj is fantastic, Timmy is coming into his own, Brodie and Gio are old, but still legit top 4 guys. Sandin has legit top 4 talent if he gets going. Reilly is flawed, but no doubt a legit top pairing guy. They could certainly use Chychrun, but they have a lot of good depth that can rotate through games. Now they also have two very high end defensive centers and arguably the best defensive wing in the game.

Going for a goalie… not needed IMO. You can win with average goalies. Guys like Vasi can cover up a lot of issues, but those guys are rare and Toronto doesn’t have the cap to fit it. Better for them to build up elsewhere.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Toronto are damn good. Also ROR being a 3C with the Leafs isn't the same as ROR being a 2C here. Not because he wasn't the guy for us that he isn't the guy for them. He has 0 pressure to produce offensively over there, their top 6 can take care of that. He can still be a damn good defensive center however.

Leafs are better than Tampa and much better than Boston on paper. They are the best team in the East.

Leafs
Canes
Rags
Bolts
Bruins
Devils

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I think Toronto is the best team in the league. I don’t really believe in Reilly as a #1D but aside from that they’re loaded.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
That trade is another example of why Friedman’s speculation can’t be ignored, even if he does it more and more.

Yesterday on the podcast he “wondered” if the Blues might package two of their tradeable assets together and specially mentioned O’Reilly and Toronto. Then like 14 hrs later the trade happens. He knew that was being worked on when he said it.

Who reported that Dubas questions the idea of trading a 1st for rentals?

If Friedman is right less than 10% of the time, that doesn't mean he's accurate when he finally gets one right. It's not like he's Schefter or Wojo.

I think people are really underrating Toronto’s defense… it isn’t high end, but it is deep. Lilj is fantastic, Timmy is coming into his own, Brodie and Gio are old, but still legit top 4 guys. Sandin has legit top 4 talent if he gets going. Reilly is flawed, but no doubt a legit top pairing guy. They could certainly use Chychrun, but they have a lot of good depth that can rotate through games. Now they also have two very high end defensive centers and arguably the best defensive wing in the game.

Going for a goalie… not needed IMO. You can win with average goalies. Guys like Vasi can cover up a lot of issues, but those guys are rare and Toronto doesn’t have the cap to fit it. Better for them to build up elsewhere.

Who is underrating Toronto's defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad