Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Whats the likelihood of getting him and But over after next season? Would we just need to buy out their contracts? I'd love for them to do one more year in the KHL and then one in Tucson.
Craig brought that up on the PHNX podcast today. He said they might prefer to stay in Russia over going to the AHL. Nothing to base it on, just sounded like he was just speculating that it's either the KHL or NHL.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
@Grimes mentioned Seabrook earlier to me, and I think that's a phenomenal comp.

Seabrook, Jay-Bo, Vlasic, Dahlin... Whoever we compare and contrast, I am increasingly loving this pick.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Two years ago Detroit picked a kid 6th overall who extremely similar scouting reports and production. He had different placement on the mocks because he wasn’t Russian. But I think the pre-draft narrative around Edvinsson is similar to what people say about Simashev after they say “Russia stuff aside…”

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
After finding out Michkov ghosted them the picks are appropriate. Forward thinking, even. But given that HF posters have a 30 second understanding of prospects based on what the television just told them, of course people hate it on the main board.

I don't think a single credible person involved in the draft process has come out and said "Bill Armstrong and Darryl Plandowski really f***ed up here."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
After finding out Michkov ghosted them the picks are appropriate. Forward thinking, even. But given that HF posters have a 30 second understanding of prospects based on what the television just told them, of course people hate it on the main board.

I don't think a single credible person involved in the draft process has come out and said "Bill Armstrong and Darryl Plandowski really f***ed up here."
99% of those offering criticism have never seen either play a hockey game in their entire life.

Reactions: Summer Rose

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Almost cried (absolutely not) to hear that story of coming to Minsk to watch the guy. Sorry, but where you were 30 years ago, why not you came to Yekaterinburg to watch and than to draft Pavel Datsyuk. Why you doing so in the broadband era when MHL well streamed on YouTube and you can watch almost all KHL games. Instead they pretend like they found hidden gem on the other side of the planet and nobody else seen those players. Haha. Wake up.

If Simashev would be able to develop his attack he easily can be our Vlasik/Bou but what if non? Hello Klas Dahlbeck.

Reactions: Freddy Sjostrom

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Almost cried (absolutely not) to hear that story of coming to Minsk to watch the guy. Sorry, but where you were 30 years ago, why not you came to Yekaterinburg to watch and than to draft Pavel Datsyuk. Why you doing so in the broadband era when MHL well streamed on YouTube and you can watch almost all KHL games. Instead they pretend like they found hidden gem on the other side of the planet and nobody else seen those players. Haha. Wake up.

If Simashev would be able to develop his attack he easily can be our Vlasik/Bou but what if non? Hello Klas Dahlbeck.

Damn, that's a blast from the past. haha

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

If you only video scout then get you a bunch of Chayka picks.

On video, how do you evaluate a player when he doesn’t have the puck? The camera only follows the puck. You can’t.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If you only video scout then get you a bunch of Chayka picks.

On video, how do you evaluate a player when he doesn’t have the puck? The camera only follows the puck. You can’t.
I think Chayka was pretty darn good at drafting. He valued very different things than Bill does.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

We got him (Datsyuk) in the end, not sure what more you could ask for!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Chayka was pretty darn good at drafting. He valued very different things than Bill does.

Fair. I’m a Hayton fan. I’m saying 70 points this season. Soderstrom, I like him too but I don’t know if the “premium” factor is there to take him when we did. Traded up for him too. Next couple picks were Boldy, Knight, Caufield. POJ was an awful pick but that was a pretty unremarkable draft class at least.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Ch
Fair. I’m a Hayton fan. I’m saying 70 points this season. Soderstrom, I like him too but I don’t know if the “premium” factor is there to take him when we did. Traded up for him too. Next couple picks were Boldy, Knight, Caufield. POJ was an awful pick but that was a pretty unremarkable draft class at least.
Chychrun, Keller, Maccelli, Garland

Reactions: Ebbisen and Jakey53

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
K'Andre Miller comp from Mitch Brown at EP Rinkside on the PDOcast with Dimitri Filipovic. They loved both picks.

Reactions: rt

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I am liking this pick more and more…

I am not worried about his offence either … look at him in these videos … he is setting everyone up .. but no one is finishing.. having a puck mover like that on our team , He will generate 40 points at least I bet

Even if all he did was skate the puck out of the zone like he is in these videos. I would be happy because that will generate offence

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Look if you can't draft McDavid or Bedard, drafting the D with the mobility and reach to stop them makes a ton of sense. I remember last year in the playoffs, McDavid coming down the boards full gallop, 1:1. I was so sure a highlight goal was about to happen, feeling for the lonesome Colorado player about to be embarrassed. To my surprise, Makar was able to skate well enough to stay with him and then at the critical moment calmly swat away the puck. It was such a wow moment for me. That's how you beat a team that has an unstoppable player. Simashev with his skating and elite defense, and at least competent offense really fills a hole on this team that you really do only get in the draft. If he keeps developing his offense, he will be a special player in the league indeed.
I agree. I remember when Colorado picked Makar I was thinking, are they crazy. That's how little I know about these kids.:laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Really? You do know that watching any hockey player live is totally different than any kind of streaming. If this wasn't true, all the scouts could sit in their homes watching players. Hell, you would only need a couple of scouts.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Really? You do know that watching any hockey player live is totally different than any kind of streaming. If this wasn't true, all the scouts could sit in their homes watching players. Hell, you would only need a couple of scouts.
Really? Coyotes scouting on russia and Sweden make me think that scouts even did not see any videos, just read the stats and report. Zero effect.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Really? Coyotes scouting on russia and Sweden make me think that scouts even did not see any videos, just read the stats and report. Zero effect.

Reportedly, the Coyotes have a scout in Russia. I tried researching who it is but came up dry.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
BA saw him in person. You are totally wrong if you think for one second that all you need is a zoom call or to watch a kid with some kind of streaming is the same as in person.

A large portion of their scouting staff went to see them play in a tournament in Belarus.
Including BA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad