Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Trying really hard not to get too excited about this guy. Moving around the ice like Dahlin is one thing but if you’re gonna run your opponent through the boards with that kind of vigor and at that size it’s hard not to take notice.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Trying really hard not to get too excited about this guy. Moving around the ice like Dahlin is one thing but if you’re gonna run your opponent through the boards with that kind of vigor and at that size it’s hard not to take notice.
For sure. What the Coyotes are hoping for Dmitri and Daniil is plenty of ice time next year. Both are probably too good for MHL games, so a regular role in the VHL mixed with some KHL would be ideal. As we saw from Duda and Fedotov this year, that’s easier said than done.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think he was expecting them to take him at #12, not at #6. Kid was as surprised as all of us!

SimashevSurprised.png

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think it s absolutely incredible that this dude taught himself English and that his English is so good. He’s better than half the Russian NHLers in their 30s. Also plays chess twice per day. Could be a special kid.
Even better, plays chess twice a day specifically because it works his brain out!

Jesus that hit then sidestep at 40 seconds into the 2nd video is hilarious. Dude is scary.
I like the one where he went for the poke check but the forward was making it a hassle so Simashev just knocked him over instead. :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This is what I was just discussing. Haha. I also said Simashev kinda reminds me of OEL in style. (The very very little I’ve seen of Simashev)
I totally see the OEL butter smooth stride. He isn't as upright though, but he glides like OEL did.

He broke at least two ankles in those clips. If he can develop any offense, he has the chance to be a top pair guy.
He's like a leopard attacking his prey. He literally pounces on people.

I know, watching clips is getting me extremely excited. Did not realize he was that great of a skater. Please please please develop some offense and we got a keeper. Shades of Pietrangelo if he can develop that shot.

I don’t know shit about Simashev besides he’s 6’4. And you can’t teach 6’4. Haha
This was your tag line at the draft party haha.

I think he was expecting them to take him at #12, not at #6. Kid was as surprised as all of us!

View attachment 723320

I thought Plandowski read the 12th pick instead of the 6th too. Also, were we the only team where only our scouts made our two picks? BA did not announce anything. Kind of cool. I remember last year BA announced Cooley and then Plandowksi and Jankowski.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Ok. Feeling much better after watching video of him and his skating and seeing commentary from others. So much for reading and looking over all the mock draft stuff. Giving BA and the staff benefit of the doubt plus they want to be here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who is the best defense prospect this season? Who’s number two? How high should they go? Anyone people are sleeping on?

Scout 1: “It’s Reinbacher for sure at the top. He looks like a legit pro defenseman, shades of Noah Dobson. Don’t be surprised if he goes top five.”

Scout 2: “I think Oliver Bonk is going to surprise people with where he goes. First round for sure, could even see him go comfortably in the top 20, there’s a lot of NHL in his game. You look at the playoffs, all those big, mobile puck-moving defensemen, teams will covet a player like him.”

Scout 3: “Simashev should be the first defenseman picked on pure ability. He has top pair tools. Will someone actually do it, especially with how good Reinbacher looked? I’m guessing unlikely.”

Executive 2: “I don’t think Gulyayev is the best, but he’s close. He has high-end hockey sense, he can create versus men with dynamic skating and skill. There’s a lot of modern-day NHL defenseman in his game.”

Executive 3: “I wouldn’t take any defenseman in the upper half of the first. I think guys like Reinbacher, Sandin Pellikka, etc., are being propped up because of the scarcity of D in this draft.”

Scout 4: “Reinbacher is the clear top defenseman, I think he could go top five. After that on talent, it’s Simashev, but in reality, it will likely be Sandin Pellikka or Tom Willander.”

Scout 5: “I’ll go rogue and say Willander is the best defenseman. He’s such a good skater, I think he’s just going to keep getting better and better.”

Scout 6: “He’s not the best, but Tanner Molendyk is not far from the top of the D group for us. He’s an elite skater, a true competitor. He will have a long NHL career.”

Executive 4: “Reinbacher is the best defenseman. I would take Willander next, but in terms of pure ability I would have Simashev narrowly ahead.”

Scout 7: “Simashev is the best D in the draft. Reinbacher and Willander are good players but Simashev is a 6-4, excellent skating defenseman with skill. You can’t find those guys on the open market.”

Scout 8: “Willander is a stud. Not everyone on our staff agrees but he’s the best D for me and would be comfortably in the top 10.”

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah not gonna lie this kinda endeared me to these kids. It’s always nice seeing some kids who look legit excited to be part of our unfortunate little franchise. So I’m really pulling for both of the Russian twins
Yeah they seem super easy to cheer for, I hope they come here and help the rest of the youngsters build this franchise into something special.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Always a bummer to stay up late to watch the Draft only to have your team pick two players that isn't even on your radar.

Starting to love this pick after reading up and watching highlights though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad