Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
IMG_5894.png

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Unless he manifests some kind of offensive game he's a Siegenthaler type which is a bad use of a top 10 pick. Ideal scenario is a 6'4 Orlov.

Reactions: Nowotny

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
I am glad to see an elite D added to the stable, but at 6? The 6th best player in the draft? Only thing I can imagine is with Reinbacher gone and a suspicion that the Canucks would be in on Willander at 11, maybe they didn't want to risk someone else going rogue and him not being there at 12.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am glad to see an elite D added to the stable, but at 6? The 6th best player in the draft? Only thing I can imagine is with Reinbacher gone and a suspicion that the Canucks would be in on Willander at 11, maybe they didn't want to risk someone else going rogue and him not being there at 12.
May also have been some fear that Detroit especially would take him.

You’re all about to see some clips posted soon that will make you say “huh?” when it comes to the speed he can generate through the neutral zone at his size and level of physical aggression.
His skating is incredible for his size.

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta
what The Athletic wrote in March
10. Dmitriy Simashev, D, Yaroslavl Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)

Feb. 4, 2005 | 6′ 4.0″ | 198 pounds | Shoots left

March 2023 Ranking: 17

Tier: Projected top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Adam Larsson

Background: Simashev made a strong KHL team out of camp as a 17-year-old defenseman before being sent back to junior, although he came up to Lokomotiv at times during the rest of the season. At the junior level, he didn’t post huge offensive numbers, but he’s played a significant role on a top junior team in Russia. He represented Russia’s U18 team in the 2022 season at the European Youth Olympics and the Black Sea Cup.

Analysis: Simashev is a toolsy defenseman as a 6-foot-4 blueliner who skates quite well for his size. He’s not dynamic offensively, but he has good puck skills, can beat checkers one-on-one with his hands, makes a solid outlet pass and makes some plays from the offensive blue line. He’s smooth and solid defensively, being good on his gaps and retrievals. Simashev competes hard, has some physicality in his game, and showed in the first half he could play against men at a young age. There is some debate on how much offense he has, but I think he has offense, and on a lesser junior team he would have scored more. You saw in the MHL playoffs when they leaned on him the offense came out more consistently. I see a lot of indicators of a two-way top-pair defenseman in the NHL even if I don’t think he’ll put up big point totals.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
I do not follow Russian Hockey, so I went to Sportsnet.ca to find out more. When I tried to click on both of their names neither had any info. The only 2 players in the first round that had no information about them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad