Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I read through the long main board prospect thread on Simashev before asking a few questions here:

1. Do you believe that the Coyotes would have taken Reinbacher if he had been available and is that why Montreal didn't trade down?
2. Did Michkov not fit with the team you are building?
3. I feel like I saw in that thread that Simashev has some resemblance to Slavin in his game. Is that true? (If so that's amazing)
4. After having some time to reflect, do you feel the same way as you did when he was drafted?
5. Who would you realistically liked to have gotten with #6 and #12?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I read through the long main board prospect thread on Simashev before asking a few questions here:

1. Do you believe that the Coyotes would have taken Reinbacher if he had been available and is that why Montreal didn't trade down?
3. I feel like I saw in that thread that Simashev has some resemblance to Slavin in his game. Is that true? (If so that's amazing)
4. After having some time to reflect, do you feel the same way as you did when he was drafted?
1) No

2) Michkov made it clear to multiple teams he didn't want to get drafted by them. He did the work for us.

3) Slavin has been mentioned as a comp. Also K'Andre Miller.

4) Yes

5) I like Simachev and But, a lot. Because of the Russian factor, both were underscouted.. Leonard, Dvorsky, Moore, Benson and Yager were my personal preferences at the time of the entry draft for #6 and #12.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

1. Couldn't say for sure, but I'd think they keep their picks the same.

2. It seems like Michkov made the decision for a lot of teams.

3. We'll need to see the final product, but they have some comparable traits. I'm in the camp of more physical JBO, and am totally happy with that player comp as an outcome.

4. Yea I'm cool with the selections now, initially I was shocked. Looking at it now it makes a lot of sense and I'm happy with the selections. I'll be a bit uppity if Benson ends up the best of the 3, but I'm happy with the choices bill made. This isn't like the JC Soderstrom draft where we didn't take Caulfield, that quite literally floored me.

5. I was leaning Benson (6) (I had Benson as the 3rd best prospect in that class) and Dvorsky or Danielson (12).

• Love
Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

No. I think Arizona had Simashev ahead of Reinbacher.
I think they didn’t want a small, one dimensional winger without elite skating and a bunch of red flags. Which is why other teams passed, also.
I could see that, to some extent. My comp is always K’Andre Miller.
I still don’t have him 6th on my board. There are plenty of prospects drafted after him that I’d consider trading him for. But having watch a couple dozen of his MHL games last season, I’m excited about his future.
I’d have taken Leonard 6th and Benson 12th. I had Benson 3rd on my list but I was 100% sure he’d fall to 12th (and I was right). I’d have considered Dvorsky over Leonard there at 6th, too. Two wingers isn’t ideal.

I actually like Daniil But a bit more than Simashev, myself. But I’m no scout. Just a guy who watches a lot of hockey.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I wanted Leonard or Benson at 3rd

If we were going for a D ( I was hoping we weren’t) I wanted Simashev at 12.

But wasn’t even on my radar at where were picking.

I would have liked Moore at 12 if we weren’t getting a D

Having said that, after watching the videos and seeing behind the scenes with BA and the staff talking how they went over there and scouted them in person and met with their families etc I am pretty excited as to what these 2 can become

I think our whole front office and scouting department is under rated and am thinking these 2 will shock people when they are finally ready

• Love
Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With Michkov and especially Benson doing what they’re doing it’s going to be hard to keep the faith on this one.

Cooley looking so good while Wright treads water helps me trust our guys. As does Moser’s career-arch thus far, finding Vejmelka out of nowhere, plucking Valimaki off waivers, and the hot starts in the CHL by Geekie and Lamoureux. Not to mention Doan’s great camp and Guenther lighting it up in the AHL. Plus Lutz toying with the USHL and Nordh leading all players under 20 in scoring in the Allsvenskan.

I’ll continue to trust our scouts. Boy oh boy are they putting our faith to the test with this one, though. Especially me, being Zach Benson’s biggest fan and most vocal cheerleader all of last season.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With Michkov and especially Benson doing what they’re doing it’s going to be hard to keep the faith on this one.

Cooley looking so good while Wright treads water helps me trust our guys. As does Moser’s career-arch thus far, finding Vejmelka out of nowhere, plucking Valimaki off waivers, and the hot starts in the CHL by Geekie and Lamoureux. Not to mention Doan’s great camp and Guenther lighting it up in the AHL. Plus Lutz toying with the USHL and Nordh leading all players under 20 in scoring in the Allsvenskan.

I’ll continue to trust our scouts. Boy oh boy are they putting our faith to the test with this one, though. Especially me, being Zach Benson’s biggest fan and most vocal cheerleader all of last season.
It will be a couple years of hand wringing. Wont even get to see them at the WJC because of the international ban. Limited news on them is tough as a fan.

Reeks a lot of smartest guy in the room drafting Simashev so early. Nobody would have batted an eye if they drafted any of Benson, Leonard, Dvorsky.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
we can't continue to think that Michkov was going to be the pick, because there are certainly enough rumors to say the least that he wasn't interested in us and a few other teams that were picking high.

There are probably a lot more teams that are wishing they didn't pass on Benson...but again, it's early.

Sillinger looked like a fantastic pick in his draft year because he played early and put up some good numbers while looking like he belongs. I'm still of the mindset that those kids need at least 1 year to grow some more and I believe without a shadow of a doubt that keeping them up as 18yr olds in their first year is a mistake for their development.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

In the eyes of the experts, Benson dropped for a reason. Time will tell if they or the player were correct.

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Guenther lighting it up in the AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad