Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I think it’s fair to acknowledge that it’s a bit ridiculous that you still have to do this every time you post something from X…months after the name has been changed.
It’s taken months to make changes just to insert the X brand into Twitter without borking it anymore than they have.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So is Simashev gonna keep switching teams whenever both are in town? He’s a Yo-Yo so far. It’s probably easy to do when Lokomotiv and Loko both play in Yaroslavl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
He wil likely shuffle back and forth as well. If u would have asked me before the draft i would have said But was the better prospect.
Having watched a couple dozen Loko games from last season, that’s still my opinion. But this season could easily change everything.

Reactions: hbk

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Had a friend give me access to his scouting site that I used to use today. Watched all of Simashev's KHL shifts from this season and I will say he is not ready for the KHL. He needs to make quicker decisions, really needs to get stronger for that frame and settle down when the puck is on his stick. His defensive awareness is very good, he is great in front of the net and is always aware where the other team is around him though and his skating is smooth. I hope he gets to 230+lbs with his skating ability.
Watched 5 minutes of his MHL game and stopped... he is too good for that league. It was great seeing him actually want the puck on his stick though.
Think both Simashev and But should be in the VHL.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Every article that mentions X: "X (formerly known as Twitter)"

How long does that go on for? Lol

It's up there with "the artist formerly known as Prince"

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I've never created an account on that platform but I see that it's important. I'm curious why you think it's moving backwards.

Every article that mentions X: "X (formerly known as Twitter)"

How long does that go on for? Lol

It's up there with "the artist formerly known as Prince"
Took it to the lounge

“correctly”? Haha.
You figure it out yet?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Just got his first 3rd period action in the KHL since September 3rd last game. Played a season high in minutes with around 14.

Unfortunately, he is still a black hole offensively, he's not doing a good job receiving passes and isn't helping his team much on the breakout either.

That being said, he is using his body. Playing great positional defensive hockey, and when he actually allows himself skates with the puck he looks incredible. He is playing very conservative hockey and I'm not sure if its because he's scared to make mistakes and get sent down or the team has asked him to, but once he allows himself to start doing more and moving the puck up ice like he did in his one MHL game, I think he will start looking much better.

On a side note, not sure if anyone remembers Yaroslav Likhachyov, he came to our prospect camp years back on a PTO and was one of the few players who could make some offense happen with Tocchet around. I wanted to draft this kid back in 2019, then hoped we'd sign him on the PTO. He is currently Lokomotiv's leading scorer. I'm hoping we try bringing him over with or before Simashev/But because he really makes things happen. Great stickhanding, not afraid to drive the net and a solid passer with some vision as well. Got 27 points in 59 KHL games as a 21 year old rookie last season, just turned 22 this month. I haven't looked much into it but I believe his KHL contract expires after this season. Would likely be worth giving a chance

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I'd fully agree if it wasn't for the fact he seems nervous with the puck most of the time. He doesn't look like someone who wants the puck on his stick and when it comes to him he's fumbling or just not receiving passes too often. In the MHL I agree that he's not afraid so you have to wonder whats throwing him off the most in the KHL. Is the game moving too fast for him or is he just scared of making a mistake.. Id naturally assume the later but even when he has lots of time, his breakout passes haven't been achieving much.
Only thing I can say for sure is without the puck he processes the game just fine at this level, just needs to add weight and muscle to that frame.
I'm not worried at all, just being a 18 year old at this level in impressive and he is practising with pro level players 4-5 times a week vs U20 players. Just think he'd be better off at a lower level for the time being (VHL) until you see that level of comfort you'd want from a player of his potential.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd fully agree if it wasn't for the fact he seems nervous with the puck most of the time. He doesn't look like someone who wants the puck on his stick and when it comes to him he's fumbling or just not receiving passes too often. In the MHL I agree that he's not afraid so you have to wonder whats throwing him off the most in the KHL. Is the game moving too fast for him or is he just scared of making a mistake.. Id naturally assume the later but even when he has lots of time, his breakout passes haven't been achieving much.
Only thing I can say for sure is without the puck he processes the game just fine at this level, just needs to add weight and muscle to that frame.
I'm not worried at all, just being a 18 year old at this level in impressive and he is practising with pro level players 4-5 times a week vs U20 players. Just think he'd be better off at a lower level for the time being (VHL) until you see that level of comfort you'd want from a player of his potential.
My preference would be that he play in the MHL and try to add a more significant offensive dimension to his game there. He was not very productive even on the MHL.

I don’t understand the rush to the KHL. Daniil But was a much more dominant MHL player, IMO. And they’re not giving him KHL time.

I worry the KHL team is fine with what he provides as a defensive bottom pit time and are fine with squandering him in such a way. But it’s too early to be actually concerned.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
My preference would be that he play in the MHL and try to add a more significant offensive dimension to his game there. He was not very productive even on the MHL.

I don’t understand the rush to the KHL. Daniil But was a much more dominant MHL player, IMO. And they’re not giving him KHL time.

I worry the KHL team is fine with what he provides as a defensive bottom pit time and are fine with squandering him in such a way. But it’s too early to be actually concerned.
I personally don't see a SIGNIFICANT offensive game. I think he has the potential to be like a 6'6 Ryan Mcdonagh though, maybe 30-40 points and eating a lot of minutes against top line players. I would rather he had more freedom to try things/ get middle pairing minutes and practise with older players so he can see where he needs to get to strength wise. I think the VHL achieves that the best. Skating around U20 kids all season because its easy for him might provide him with easy confidence but I'd like to see him challenged more.
I also don't think Lokomotiv is just looking at him as a bottom pairing player. You can tell by his usage that they are trying to develop him themselves In my opinion. He clearly isn't ready for the KHL in a large role but they are giving him ice time where they can to give him opportunities without hurting the team (thats why he rarely gets out in the 3rd unless they have a decent lead), they are also sending him down to play full MHL games while still keeping him close to the KHL team (I assume he still practises with main KHL squad).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad