Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Simashev can be overly confident and calm with the puck under pressure. It’s both a blessing and a curse. It buys him time but can also lead to disaster.

Also, his shot needs to improve a lot. The absence of a credible threat of a point shot will limit his offensive potential considerably. If nobody is worried about it, his options dwindle fast.

Additionally, his highlight reel puck rushes are breathtaking. But he often rushes right into two defensemen. That’s a nitpick because he gains the zone and it usually generates something. But he’s not technically going end to end. He’s going zone to zone because he doesn’t make it to the net. I’d often rather see him take the outside and wait for a centering pass opportunity.

For But, I would say the standard concern of what will happen when he has less time and space and less of a physical advantage. Right now he can toy with the opposition due to speed, strength and puck protection ability. How will bigger, stronger, faster, more adept defenders that can close on him more quickly limit this ability? That’s a key question for any prospect like this however.
He should do whatever Crouse did the last couple years. Crouse had the muffiniest of muffins in his first few years, especially for someone his size

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
6’6/6’7 simashev and 6’7 lamoureux, who are both great skaters could be a pairing in the future. Which is crazy.

Hopefully we add another offensive dman so we can have the big defensive pair and then a more defensive pair.

Moser - levshunov?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Levshunov would be an amazing get. Would have to win a lottery, finally, to have a chance at him.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
My best friend is 6’4 and his brother is 6’7. Watching the draft and seeing But and Simashev approach the stage, couldn’t help but feel they looked bigger than their listings. But I can believe is 6’8. Baby faced and all he’s just long in all areas. Scary to think that he’s John Scott sized, but can dangle like Semin. Simashev I would lean more 6’5 but I haven’t see them in person before. So what do I know, but I wonder if there’s new info on that for this season? The interview all but confirms BA’s size preference. The way he let that news out made it very clear, almost giddy about it. The comment about how as you go deeper into the playoff rounds, there's less skill and more will and the analytics support it. It was very interesting. Even talking about what months injuries happen and such. We were all hoping for that superstar player ala McDavid during the rebuild but it didn’t happen but BA’s plan never was for that to happen. He was going to a build a deep roster built for playoff hockey and consistently compete.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
BA’s plan never was for that to happen.
He wasn't going to plan for Bedard because it's a 30% shot at best but you can bet your ass he would've been doing flips in the parking lot if the Coyotes could've landed Bedard. He's got a plan and he's got a type but he recognizes size doesn't trump everything which is why he wasn't afraid to take Cooley.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He wasn't going to plan for Bedard because it's a 30% shot at best but you can bet your ass he would've been doing flips in the parking lot if the Coyotes could've landed Bedard. He's got a plan and he's got a type but he recognizes size doesn't trump everything which is why he wasn't afraid to take Cooley.
For every Tage Thompson BA took a Fabbri, Kyrou, or Thomas in StLouis.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
6’6/6’7 simashev and 6’7 lamoureux, who are both great skaters could be a pairing in the future. Which is crazy.

Hopefully we add another offensive dman so we can have the big defensive pair and then a more defensive pair.

Moser - levshunov?

Jiricek! Don’t have to win the lottery to get him. Or so it seems currently. A lot will change between now and the draft.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
I feel like we're sleeping on some of the talent in our own pool. But I guess I need to remember many won't pan out. Either way, real excited about Duda. And still expecting more from Moser.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Wasn’t insinuating that it wouldn’t have been a joy to be able to draft Bedard. They were even bummed about dropping in the Cooley draft despite getting their guy. The scouts even made a comment about the sting of not being able to draft such a talent(Bedard) in the lottery result interview. I meant that it was never the plan to hope for that generational talent to fall into your lap, but to draft and a develop a big heavy team full of depth and commitment to a play style. A team built for sustained playoff births year in and out.

rt

May 13, 2004
Reactions: Kai Yo T

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Since the draft I have correlated these two as "big Russian kid who skates very well" and "bigger Russian kid who skates well". Meanwhile Maverick is label as this unicorn project pick.

Thing is But and Simashev don't feel like project picks because of their skating. Of course they are in the sense they won't be coming over immediately but these are two GIANTS who skate like they are 5'10"

Reactions: lanky

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've read some quotes that were critical of But's skating. In the snippets of video I've seen it looks like a strength, so I agree that he's a giant that skates like he's 5'10. There are some out there who disagree and they've likely seen more of But than I have.

Simashev is an incredible skater and I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

May 13, 2004
I've read some quotes that were critical of But's skating. In the snippets of video I've seen it looks like a strength, so I agree that he's a giant that skates like he's 5'10. There are some out there who disagree and they've likely seen more of But than I have.

Simashev is an incredible skater and I don't think anyone can disagree with that.
Anyone critical of But’s skating is an absolute fraud. He’s an excellent skater.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I love that slightly maniacal laugh at the end of the BA clip haha, good stuff. “What they don’t know is that he’s actually 6’7…Muahahaha!”
I wonder if Bill knew he was three inches taller than advertised when he drafted him. Not that it would've mattered but it's interesting that got missed. I doubt he grew three inches since June.
Elite Prospects still lists him at 6'4.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if Bill knew he was three inches taller than advertised when he drafted him. Not that it would've mattered but it's interesting that got missed. I doubt he grew three inches since June.
Yes he knew.

Reactions: Jakey53

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Yeah I’m assuming he did, especially like you said…that’s a big growth spurt in a short amount of time. I can’t claim to know all the details of how all the teams in the league operate obviously, but it really seems like BA just pulled a fast one on his colleagues because, for whatever reason, this whole “Russia bad” thing prevented many GM’s and/or scouts from really truly doing their due diligence on Russian players. Seems to have worked nicely in BA’s favor but time will tell I guess…

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Yeah had to know. Probably also a big reason why they felt they couldn't wait until 12

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
BA is listed at 6'5", you can see when Simashev and But walked on stage at the draft both where clearly taller than him. Given he went to see them play live, I'm sure it wasn't his first in person meeting with them.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad