Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I personally don't see a SIGNIFICANT offensive game. I think he has the potential to be like a 6'6 Ryan Mcdonagh though, maybe 30-40 points and eating a lot of minutes against top line players. I would rather he had more freedom to try things/ get middle pairing minutes and practise with older players so he can see where he needs to get to strength wise.
I see K’Andre Miller type offensive upside. The way he moves offensively with the puck on his stick at the MHL level definitely speaks to there being a lot of unrealized offensive potential.
I think the VHL achieves that the best. Skating around U20 kids all season because its easy for him might provide him with easy confidence but I'd like to see him challenged more.
When I was poking around a month or so ago looking at previous seasons, it seemed like Lokomotiv hasn’t really leaned on the VHL for their top prospects too much. Maybe it’s the physical distance between? Or maybe I just missed some key guys?
I also don't think Lokomotiv is just looking at him as a bottom pairing player. You can tell by his usage that they are trying to develop him themselves In my opinion. He clearly isn't ready for the KHL in a large role but they are giving him ice time where they can to give him opportunities without hurting the team (thats why he rarely gets out in the 3rd unless they have a decent lead), they are also sending him down to play full MHL games while still keeping him close to the KHL team (I assume he still practises with main KHL squad).
I hope thats the case.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I personally don't see a SIGNIFICANT offensive game. I think he has the potential to be like a 6'6 Ryan Mcdonagh though, maybe 30-40 points and eating a lot of minutes against top line players. I would rather he had more freedom to try things/ get middle pairing minutes and practise with older players so he can see where he needs to get to strength wise. I think the VHL achieves that the best. Skating around U20 kids all season because its easy for him might provide him with easy confidence but I'd like to see him challenged more.
I also don't think Lokomotiv is just looking at him as a bottom pairing player. You can tell by his usage that they are trying to develop him themselves In my opinion. He clearly isn't ready for the KHL in a large role but they are giving him ice time where they can to give him opportunities without hurting the team (thats why he rarely gets out in the 3rd unless they have a decent lead), they are also sending him down to play full MHL games while still keeping him close to the KHL team (I assume he still practises with main KHL squad).
I think we are looking at a Bouwmeester type player with bigger range but a solid all around game but mainly a minute muncher who will likely put up 20-30 points per year with an outlier year(s) of 40+. I don't think we drafted him expecting him to be Karlsson. That's just me.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we are looking at a Bouwmeester type player with bigger range but a solid all around game but mainly a minute muncher who will likely put up 20-30 points per year with an outlier year(s) of 40+. I don't think we drafted him expecting him to be Karlsson. That's just me.
Maybe not Karlsson, but he better be better than 20 pts. with all the TOI he should be getting. 6OA comes BIG expectations. Bouwmeester in his prime would be good, or OEL in his prime as well.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe not Karlsson, but he better be better than 20 pts. with all the TOI he should be getting. 6OA comes BIG expectations. Bouwmeester in his prime would be good, or OEL in his prime as well.
Bouwmeester was the 3rd overall pick. Check out his stat lines. Also while you are at it check out his cup ring.

Reactions: Summer Rose

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
For me, I'd just be worried people are wanting to expect Hedman potential because of how we reached and built up a 6'6 smooth skating defenceman after the draft that most other teams didn't even get a chance to properly scout and how other scouting companies came out saying they were higher on him than they let on... I just don't think it's the case and it might work against him. It might actually be a good thing he can't come over and play till he's 21 and hopefully ready to jump right in.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
For me, I'd just be worried people are wanting to expect Hedman potential because of how we reached and built up a 6'6 smooth skating defenceman after the draft that most other teams didn't even get a chance to properly scout and how other scouting companies came out saying they were higher on him than they let on... I just don't think it's the case and it might work against him. It might actually be a good thing he can't come over and play till he's 21 and hopefully ready to jump right in.
Until we see consistent offense it’s hard to expect it at a higher level.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bouwmeester was the 3rd overall pick. Check out his stat lines. Also while you are at it check out his cup ring.
For 3 OA his stats are not eye popping. There are many players much better than Bouwmeester without a ring. Don't get me wrong, he was a pretty good overall D, but for 3 OA I would expect more.

rt

May 13, 2004
Simashev is much meaner than Bouwmeester who was rather soft. I like the McDonaugh comp better for that but Simashev is like 4-5inches taller and a better skater. I’m sticking with K’Andre Miller.

Reactions: Jakey53

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Until we see consistent offense it’s hard to expect it at a higher level.
I'd just be worried with how much scrutiny this kid might start receiving because lots of people don't think like that or have seen him play enough to expect that a player that was reached for might only have 20-30 point potential. He will be compared to Michkov and even likely Leonard/Dvorsky who were passed on. Many won't see it as having Simashev and But made it easier to get both over here (But looked really good last game in the MHL too), possibly opened us up to getting more Russians in the future while also having 2 players that tower over everyone else.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd just be worried with how much scrutiny this kid might start receiving because lots of people don't think like that or have seen him play enough to expect that a player that was reached for might only have 20-30 point potential. He will be compared to Michkov and even likely Leonard/Dvorsky who were passed on. Many won't see it as having Simashev and But made it easier to get both over here (But looked really good last game in the MHL too), possibly opened us up to getting more Russians in the future while also having 2 players that tower over everyone else.
I haven't seen him as much as rt who did a deep dive in summer online. I can only base my opinion on what I saw before the draft where I had him certainly in my top 25 but I didn't have him in my top 10. I get the upside and excitement but I prefer to base my expectations based on what I see and not what I hope to see. With bigger players it takes more time and he's going to have as much as he needs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This kid should be under scrutiny, comes with the territory being picked 6OA. I don't think picking both had anything to do with making it easier to get them over here, rather BA thought they were the best playing available.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I don't think picking both had anything to do with making it easier to get them over here, rather BA thought they were the best playing available.
I don't think it hurt. But and Simachev are very good friends. They kind of are a package in that sense. If you're going to gamble on Russians, this was a pretty solid approach. Both speaking English pretty well shows some commitment too. I like the picks a lot.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I was thinking a taller version of Keith Carney as a low end comparable and for high end why not shoot for the moon and say a less dickly Chris Pronger

Cameron Poe Dameron

Jul 19, 2022
I like But better as a prospect, though Simashev plays a more valuable position so they’re pretty even to me.
Were you able to find full KHL games of either of them? I've just been able to find clips.

For me they're pretty even too. I think maybe Simashev has the higher upside by a bit, But seems farther along with his game but that's not unusual for a winger vs d.

Miller looks pretty spot on to me for a Simashev comp. Biggest difference I can see is his shot doesn't have the same power but that can be worked on and should hopefully get better even just as he fills out. Projecting obviously but I think that's a reasonable upside.

rt

May 13, 2004
Were you able to find full KHL games of either of them? I've just been able to find clips.

No. I’ve watched a couple dozen of their MHL games from last season. All of their playoff games and alter season regular games.
For me they're pretty even too. I think maybe Simashev has the higher upside by a bit, But seems farther along with his game but that's not unusual for a winger vs d.
True
Miller looks pretty spot on to me for a Simashev comp. Biggest difference I can see is his shot doesn't have the same power but that can be worked on and should hopefully get better even just as he fills out. Projecting obviously but I think that's a reasonable upside.
Agree

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

Nice username.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thanks, it's something haha.

Bummer. Hopefully we get a few this year. I've only seen the belarus tournament and a few midseason games but I love the progress I saw in both players.
You can watch all MHL games for free on YouTube. Including last playoffs and last regular season. I watched a ton of them this summer. Especially Loko (Simashev, But and Surin) and Dynamo Moskva (Chernyshov, and Taimazov) and also Silayev.

You can pay for KHL games. If both start getting regular ice I might do that. But I just bought the CHL tv package so I’m probably gonna focus more on MHL and CHL and less on KHL.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
You can watch all MHL games for free on YouTube. Including last playoffs and last regular season. I watched a ton of them this summer. Especially Loko (Simashev, But and Surin) and Dynamo Moskva (Chernyshov, and Taimazov) and also Silayev.

You can pay for KHL games. If both start getting regular ice I might do that. But I just bought the CHL tv package so I’m probably gonna focus more on MHL and CHL and less on KHL.
the yotes might have to get you on their pay role

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino