Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He signed ANOTHER 3yrs in Russian. He’s a long way away.

Demidov is neck and neck with Celebrini for 1st overall.

Chernyshov is right but BA’s alley. Big burley winger with tons of skill, skates like the wind and isn’t afraid to go hard to the inside.
Is there any good C's next draft? Who is the highest rated D? Probably change by next draft anyways.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've had moments of clarity in my life so I get where you are coming from. That being said I think a lot of society is just concerned about having a place to sleep or food to eat right now.
I think much of society is more concerned watching social media and letting someone else make up their minds. Thirty years ago or so you at least had to use your brain just a bit to make your own decisions. Now, society is too lazy to think for themselves. All we do is fire up the computer and read made up lies, the we believe to be true, without giving it a thought.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I wish that was the case but unfortunately he signed right after or during development camp. So post draft. He's been playing well by all accounts but just doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get here like Duda does.

This will be a huge test for our Russian scout, because no matter how good these kids are, if he misjudges their desire to play in NA it will be a huge miss. We have now used two early 2nds and two top 15 picks on Russians. I sure hope it pays off.

100% agree, but keep in mind Simashev literally taught himself English, he did all his interviews in English and even speaks without too much of an accent. I'd be shocked if he doesn't come over here. And But's his teammate, would be shocked if he doesn't come over as well. And then since we'd then have a few Russians on our team... you get the idea.

Re: Simashev specifically, I've watched a few interviews, guy was really excited to be picked so high and repeatedly said it was his dream to play in the NHL (came across as very sincere). Personally am not really worried about him at all

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I’ve seen about 45 sec of tape on Shimshov. Less on But. I suspect that the vast majority of the critics out there haven’t seen much more. Picking on the Coyotes is a high reward/low risk action given the general animosity against the team in parts North.
By parts north you mean every franchise in traditional markets, right?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is there any good C's next draft? Who is the highest rated D? Probably change by next draft anyways.
Celebrini and Catton are the two highest rated centers. Celebrini is the favorite to goes 1st overall. Catton is likely to be a top five pick.

The highest rated D is probably Levshunov who’s a Belarusian that played in the USHL last year and will playing for what looks to be a powerhouse Michigan State team this year. He’s also seen as a top five pick currently.

100% agree, but keep in mind Simashev literally taught himself English, he did all his interviews in English and even speaks without too much of an accent. I'd be shocked if he doesn't come over here. And But's his teammate, would be shocked if he doesn't come over as well. And then since we'd then have a few Russians on our team... you get the idea.

Re: Simashev specifically, I've watched a few interviews, guy was really excited to be picked so high and repeatedly said it was his dream to play in the NHL (came across as very sincere). Personally am not really worried about him at all
Better win 2nd overall lottery and draft Demidov just to be super extra safe. ;)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think much of society is more concerned watching social media and letting someone else make up their minds. Thirty years ago or so you at least had to use your brain just a bit to make your own decisions. Now, society is too lazy to think for themselves. All we do is fire up the computer and read made up lies, the we believe to be true, without giving it a thought.
To take this ti the Coyotes this is where i am concerned that the only voice we have is Morgan. I like his coverage but we need dissenting views to push us to form our own opinions.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

But is not only his teammate, they are pretty tight friends. They will come as a package, like the Sedins. :sarcasm: But also put in the time to learn English and both were in Nashville for the draft. These two seem pretty excited to play in the NHL together on the same team. I like both picks a lot for many reasons.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
To take this ti the Coyotes this is where i am concerned that the only voice we have is Morgan. I like his coverage but we need dissenting views to push us to form our own opinions.

Have you read any actual conversations in F40. Many of which you've participated in (thx for that btw).

If I read your last statement wrong and you're talking about opinions of other folks (ie non-Yotes fans) I honestly think it's far too late for that, too much messed up history. We're going to be hated on for being a poverty franchise until we become a legit SC contender, then we'll be hated on for that instead. Imo it's us against the world and imo the best way to internally respond to / process this to embrace the TrollYote.

Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Have you read any actual conversations in F40. Many of which you've participated in (thx for that btw).

If I read your last statement wrong and you're talking about opinions of other folks (ie non-Yotes fans) I honestly think it's far too late for that, too much messed up history. We're going to be hated on for being a poverty franchise until we become a legit SC contender, then we'll be hated on for that instead. Imo it's us against the world and imo the best way to internally respond to / process this to embrace the TrollYote.

Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you
Why do u think i am here?

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
@hbk I wasn't going after you (hard to show tone over the internet). More like giving you shit but based on respect, if that makes sense.

I'm assuming your response was intended in the same spirit, I'm here for the same reason you are ie to learn things about a team / hobby I am passionate about. I also think it's only fair to learn things if you can contribute something in return, which is literally the only reason I post here at all. Unless it's to go after a troll I suppose (and to be esp clear you are not this troll)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
@hbk I wasn't going after you (hard to show tone over the internet). More like giving you shit but based on respect, if that makes sense.

I'm assuming your response was intended in the same spirit, I'm here for the same reason you are ie to learn things about a team / hobby I am passionate about. I also think it's only fair to learn things if you can contribute something in return, which is literally the only reason I post here at all. Unless it's to go after a troll I suppose (and to be esp clear you are not this troll)
Nah i get it. I find myself parroting the views of Phnx more than i like. They may be right but i like these boards for other perspectives.

Take Simashev. I liked him. Had him on my draft list. I don’t believe based on his draft position that we should be touting him as a future 1D just yet. Let him prove himself this season. If you weren’t claiming he was a 1D before the draft and unless u have legitimately watched (like rt) I think we are really just waiting to see where he’s at and/or if our scouts are guilty of reaching.

rt

May 13, 2004
You dont see fans of NYR, NYI, Detroit, Boston, Chicago et al taking cheap shots at the Coyotes (and their fans) at every opportunity?
No, not really. Not in my experience. At least not nearly as much. There’s more a of a busy-body element of horning in to lecture and criticize from Canadian fans. It’s more smug. But the Canadian Coyotes fans are all the better and more awesome because of how nasty the others are. :)

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Nah i get it. I find myself parroting the views of Phnx more than i like. They may be right but i like these boards for other perspectives.

Take Simashev. I liked him. Had him on my draft list. I don’t believe based on his draft position that we should be touting him as a future 1D just yet. Let him prove himself this season. If you weren’t claiming he was a 1D before the draft and unless u have legitimately watched (like rt) I think we are really just waiting to see where he’s at and/or if our scouts are guilty of reaching.

Yeah all good.

To me... for whatever reason I really trust our current scouting staff. Probably because of what Bill Armstrong was able to do in STL. I don't really follow prospects but basically after we draft players I watch some highlights, re: Simashev / But I was like, "holy ****" -- but obvi highlights don't tell the full story, not even close. But the highlights were good / borderline elite.

Regardless, BA was able to draft guys like Robert Thomas (20th overall), Tage (26th overall), Kyrou (35th OA), Vince Dunn (56th OA), Barbashev (33OA), Parayko (86th OA), Edmunson (46th OA), Tarasenko (16th OA respectively), etc etc.

I mean, wtf additional track record do you need. The guy knows how to draft. So if he picks up some random draft ppl like Simashev or But (who by the way were also rated highly by a few other respected pubs), wtf do I know about these players. All I know are the highlights are amazing. More importantly based on BA's track record in STL imo YES he absoutely deserves the benefit of the doubt. At least until one (or more) of his highly touted picks is clearly not working out.

But yeah, I'm not under the illusion that I'm a better scout than Bill Armstrong. And in my opinion (and this is my opinion only), I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt based on what he was able to do in STL. So I'm more than happy to give Simashev / But / Cooley the benefit of the doubt until they show me otherwise.

That said, am happy all of us are passionate ppl who are passionate about the same thing. Disagreement is more than fine, absolutely no worries from over here

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah all good.

To me... for whatever reason I really trust our current scouting staff. Probably because of what Bill Armstrong was able to do in STL. I don't really follow prospects but basically after we draft players I watch some highlights, re: Simashev / But I was like, "holy ****" -- but obvi highlights don't tell the full story, not even close. But the highlights were good / borderline elite.

Regardless, BA was able to draft guys like Robert Thomas (20th overall), Tage (26th overall), Kyrou (35th OA), Vince Dunn (56th OA), Barbashev (33OA), Parayko (86th OA), Edmunson (46th OA), Tarasenko (16th OA respectively), etc etc.

I mean, wtf additional track record do you need. The guy knows how to draft. So if he picks up some random draft ppl like Simashev or But (who by the way were also rated highly by a few other respected pubs), wtf do I know about these players. All I know are the highlights are amazing. More importantly based on BA's track record in STL imo YES he absoutely deserves the benefit of the doubt. At least until one (or more) of his highly touted picks is clearly not working out.

But yeah, I'm not under the illusion that I'm a better scout than Bill Armstrong. And in my opinion (and this is my opinion only), I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt based on what he was able to do in STL. So I'm more than happy to give Simashev / But / Cooley the benefit of the doubt until they show me otherwise.

That said, am happy all of us are passionate ppl who are passionate about the same thing. Disagreement is more than fine, absolutely no worries from over here
I will be happy to jump on bandwagon when i see some more recent games.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah all good.

Now do Hepple and Plandowski. :)

rt

May 13, 2004
I will be happy to jump on bandwagon when i see some more recent games.
I’ve been watching a bunch of Loko games. All the playoff games and at least a dozen regular season. Very impressive stuff. Especially But. I will say that Simashev really stepped it up on the playoffs. I wish we could see them best on best internationally. Oh well.

Their teammate Egor Surin is a fun player to watch. Reminds me of Max Domi a little. Small but nasty. Always involved after the whistles. Big time gambler. Takes so many risks. Good and bad results. Roller coaster player. Plays C but isn’t big and might be too much of a wild card to stick at that position. Might be winger long-term. Currently projected to go late 1st in 2024.

Reactions: Foggy1097

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I’ve been watching a bunch of Loko games. All the playoff games and at least a dozen regular season. Very impressive stuff. Especially But. I will say that Simashev really stepped it up on the playoffs. I wish we could see them best on best internationally. Oh well.

Their teammate Egor Surin is a fun player to watch. Reminds me of Max Domi a little. Small but nasty. Always involved after the whistles. Big time gambler. Takes so many risks. Good and bad results. Roller coaster player. Plays C but isn’t big and might be too much of a wild card to stick at that position. Might be winger long-term. Currently projected to go late 1st in 2024.

Do Sima and But have any warts / traits you're not sure will project at the NHL level?

rt

May 13, 2004
Do Sima and But have any warts / traits you're not sure will project at the NHL level?
Simashev can be overly confident and calm with the puck under pressure. It’s both a blessing and a curse. It buys him time but can also lead to disaster.

Also, his shot needs to improve a lot. The absence of a credible threat of a point shot will limit his offensive potential considerably. If nobody is worried about it, his options dwindle fast.

Additionally, his highlight reel puck rushes are breathtaking. But he often rushes right into two defensemen. That’s a nitpick because he gains the zone and it usually generates something. But he’s not technically going end to end. He’s going zone to zone because he doesn’t make it to the net. I’d often rather see him take the outside and wait for a centering pass opportunity.

For But, I would say the standard concern of what will happen when he has less time and space and less of a physical advantage. Right now he can toy with the opposition due to speed, strength and puck protection ability. How will bigger, stronger, faster, more adept defenders that can close on him more quickly limit this ability? That’s a key question for any prospect like this however.

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Simashev can be overly confident and calm with the puck under pressure. It’s both a blessing and a curse. It buys him time but can also lead to disaster.

Also, his shot needs to improve a lot. The absence of a credible threat of a point shot will limit his offensive potential considerably. If nobody is worried about it, his options dwindle fast.

Additionally, his highlight reel puck rushes are breathtaking. But he often rushes right into two defensemen. That’s a nitpick because he gains the zone and it usually generates something. But he’s not technically going end to end. He’s going zone to zone because he doesn’t make it to the net. I’d often rather see him take the outside and wait for a centering pass opportunity.

For But, I would say the standard concern of what will happen when he has less time and space and less of a physical advantage. Right now he can toy with the opposition due to speed, strength and puck protection ability. How will bigger, stronger, faster, more adept defenders that can close on him more quickly limit this ability? That’s a key question for any prospect like this however.

All of that makes sense. Thx!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad