Line Combos: 2023-24 too early line combos

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
As much as I’d like to keep G with Brady and Jimmy…
I think the is lineup makes the most sense. I debated flipping G and Batherson as well.

Tkachuk Stutzle Tarasenko
- two volume shooters one with our most dynamic playmaker/player. One is a net front and the other fires from everywhere. Nice fit all around.
Kubalik Norris Giroux
- G is still a high end playmaker, paired with a couple of shooters
Grieg Pinto Batherson
- this line could really take advantage of 3rd pairings, does a bit of everything well.
Smejkal Kastelic Macewen
- monster 4th line :)

Chabot Chychrun
Sanderson Zub
Branny Hamonic

Korp
Fors

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Tkachuk-Norris-Tarasenko
Kubalik-Stutzle-Giroux
Joseph-Pinto-Batherson
Smejkal-Kastelic-Macewen

Chachrun
Branny-Zub
Sandy-JBD/Ham

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Tarasenko - Norris - Batherson
Kubalik - Pinto - Joseph
?? - Kastelic - ??
I like keeping Tkachuk with Stutzle and Giroux because they seemed to develop excellent chemistry together last season.
Tarasenko-Norris-Batherson is worth a trial run to start the season, or have T and B switch wings (or move Kubalik up to 2LW with Tarasenko being 2RW.
Kubalik-Pinto-Joseph might be worth a trial run too (could bring Batherson down to 3RW and Joseph to 3LW if he is still here.
Your ?? players on the 4th line are pretty much set with Kelly and MacEwen under contract and the cap situation we find ourselves in at this moment.

I think the D will be something as follows:

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic (same as last season)
Chychrun - Brannstrom (or switch sides)
JBD as 7th D with Kleven arriving after Christmas at TDL.

Running 3 D pairings with about equal ES TOI will now be possible. PP and PK will raise the TOI of our better Ds, as it should. Chabot won't get over-used this way and thus hopefully play a better overall game without having to pace himself for larger TOI as in prior years.

The goaltending should be improved but I am concerned about the health of our 2 goalies:

Korpisalo
Forsberg

I think the is lineup makes the most sense. I debated flipping G and Batherson as well.

- two volume shooters one with our most dynamic playmaker/player. One is a net front and the other fires from everywhere. Nice fit all around.
Kubalik Norris Giroux
Grieg Pinto Batherson
- this line could really take advantage of 3rd pairings, does a bit of everything well.
Smejkal Kastelic Macewen

Chabot Chychrun
Sanderson Zub
Branny Hamonic

Korp
Fors
I like the idea of Smejkal on the 3LW because of his size, but I want to see if he plays as BIG as he is. Kelly plays BIGGER than he is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Kubalik Norris Giroux
Grieg Pinto Batherson
Smejkal Kastelic Macewen

Chabot Chychrun
Sanderson Zub
Branny Hamonic

Korp
Fors
Certainly have more quality depth which was missing. Having 3 lines that can roll offensively will be nice. More commitment to team defense will be needed from some of the forwards. The C depth and slotting should be good but we are a little vulnerable there to anything longer term.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I like keeping Tkachuk with Stutzle and Giroux because they seemed to develop excellent chemistry together last season.
Tarasenko-Norris-Batherson is worth a trial run to start the season, or have T and B switch wings (or move Kubalik up to 2LW with Tarasenko being 2RW.
Kubalik-Pinto-Joseph might be worth a trial run too (could bring Batherson down to 3RW and Joseph to 3LW if he is still here.
Your ?? players on the 4th line are pretty much set with Kelly and MacEwen under contract and the cap situation we find ourselves in at this moment.

I think the D will be something as follows:

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic (same as last season)
Chychrun - Brannstrom (or switch sides)
JBD as 7th D with Kleven arriving after Christmas at TDL.

Running 3 D pairings with about equal ES TOI will now be possible. PP and PK will raise the TOI of our better Ds, as it should. Chabot won't get over-used this way and thus hopefully play a better overall game without having to pace himself for larger TOI as in prior years.

The goaltending should be improved but I am concerned about the health of our 2 goalies:

Korpisalo
Forsberg

I like the idea of Smejkal on the 3LW because of his size, but I want to see if he plays as BIG as he is. Kelly plays BIGGER than he is.
I like keeping the top guns in the top six, so I'd probably see what Tarasenko can do on LW, but...there is always something to be said for spreading things out a bit and putting Batherson on line 3.

Needless to say, we finally have some options.

Reactions: Cosmix

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Tkachuk - Stü - Tarasenko
Giroux - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Kubalik
Smejkal - Kastelic - Macewen

Sanderson - Chychrun
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Scratches: JBD, Kelly

I know it’s not a popular opinion but I’d rather ride out Joseph and trade Brannstrom for a pick.

Reactions: Senovision

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Chychrun - Sanderson
Kleven - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD

Chabot is not 8 million dollar player. Should be traded asap. Kleven is more then ready. Sanderson is a number one dman on a team right now. Chabot plays like a rookie, never learns, 4-5 crucial mistakes a game. Just getting rid of him will give Sens 4-5 more wins.
too young of a d roster. insert karlsson.

but yea why pay chabot 8 mill to not even be one of your best two d if you can just pay Brannstrom 2-3m and have 5-6 mill to splash around.

every single time Brannstrom has played Chabot minutes he has been around the same level as Chabot. Chychrun and Sanderson are both better than Chabot.

Reactions: Hun

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like keeping the top guns in the top six, so I'd probably see what Tarasenko can do on LW, but...there is always something to be said for spreading things out a bit and putting Batherson on line 3.

Needless to say, we finally have some options.
I like to search for and find chemistry on lines rather than "level out the skill" on all the lines, so I agree in a way with what you say about keeping the high end skill in the top 2 lines. Having options is great for the top 3 lines. Switching Tarasenko in and Giroux out as 1RW could be a great thing so I would like to see DJ try that combo in preseason.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I like to search for and find chemistry on lines rather than "level out the skill" on all the lines, so I agree in a way with what you say about keeping the high end skill in the top 2 lines. Having options is great for the top 3 lines. Switching Tarasenko in and Giroux out as 1RW could be a great thing so I would like to see DJ try that combo in preseason.
Yeah, whatever works for sure.

We're lucky in that we know Chuck, Norris and Batherson work, so if Giroux can move to LW, we can put him with Stutzle and Tarasenko in what would be (in theory) a filthy line.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tkachuk - Stü - Tarasenko
Giroux - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Kubalik
Smejkal - Kastelic - Macewen

Sanderson - Chychrun
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Scratches: JBD, Kelly

I know it’s not a popular opinion but I’d rather ride out Joseph and trade Brannstrom for a pick.

That's gotta be the best roster we've had in almost 15+ years, no?

Even if Batherson situation falters, I like Garland or Tatar to move into 3rd line with Kubalik moving up a slot. Still a solid group of top 9. That defense is where the magic should happen, no question about it. We are looking at 3 top 30 defenders and a legit top 4 + above average 3rd pair.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Tkachuk - Stuztle
Norris - Giroux
Pinto - Batherson

build the lines around these pairs. We need all these guys to be better in their own end

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Kubalik - Pinto - Joseph
Smejkal - Kastelic - Sokolov/MacEwen

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brännström - Hamonic
JBD

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Send Kelly down to the minors, such lack of foresight signing him to a guaranteed 1-way deal. A dime a dozen player, but salary is low enough to bury it for inevitable injury call ups.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Kubalik - Pinto - Joseph

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brännström - Hamonic
JBD

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Send Kelly down to the minors, such lack of foresight signing him to a guaranteed 1-way deal. A dime a dozen player, but salary is low enough to bury it for inevitable injury call ups.

I think Kelly “could” get claimed some team will see he makes less than current league minimum and can kill penalties and worst case they can bury him themselves .

Don’t know how much sleep I would lose if we lose Kelly but I think he could be useful for the PK

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Its looking that way. but gotta wait for the penalties to come out. It seems there are three tiers of offences in this. There is the ring leader who found the victim and convinced her to come back, then there are the 5-6 players who participated in the crime, and lastly there is the player who came upstairs and left without reporting the incident. NHL likely expels one player, long term suspensions to the rest and a smaller suspension to the last.

Or nothing happend because the NHL floated the rumours of suspensions without any criminal action a few weeks ago and NHLPA said "No Thanks, see you in arbitration" and a bunch of player Agents said "Look forward to incoming defamation suits".

If the NHL had a solid plan, they would have executed it by now. They still could go either way but I think they are delaying out of a perceived no win situation.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Stutzle, Giroux, and Batherson should all be on seperate lines if we actually want balanced scoring across the line-up.
All three are good play drivers as well. Norris, Tarasenko and Kubalik are all shooters and would make sense to have them on separate lines as well or at least two of them.

Maybe this for three balanced lines:
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Kubalik-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Kelly-Kastelic-Joseph
MacEwan

I actually think Joseph is likely to be moved but you can fill that spot with several different options if so. If he's with us, Greig could start in the AHL and Joseph slides into the 3rd line.

If you get those lines to commit defensively and if they stay reasonably healthy.. they are very strong lines and we'll have a dynamite PP.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
(Drafted Players) - The Sens have 10 players on this current roster potentially on their team.

Tkachuk - Stutzle
- Tarasenko
Kubalik - Norris - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Batherson
Joseph - Kastelic - MacEwen/Kelly

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD

Korpisalo - Forsberg

Depth: (Drafted Players) - the Sens have 11 drafted players in Belleville. That's 21 drafted players playing on their two pro teams which basically makes up an entire team's roster, seems like their drafting is quite strong.

Crookshank - Jarventie - Sokolov
Ostapchuk
- Chartier - Boucher
Reinhardt
- Smejkal - Highmore
Imama - Pilon - Curry/Daoust

Larsson - Guennette
Sebrango - Thompson
Heatherington - Matinpalo

Sogaard - Merilainen/Mandolese/Sinclair

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kubalik - Pinto - Joseph

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brännström - Hamonic
JBD

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Tarasenko played LW for one stint back in 2013 and that’s it.

Meanwhile, Giroux played LW on the top line in Philly with Couturier and Voracek.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Meanwhile, Giroux played LW on the top line in Philly with Couturier and Voracek.
I also think the fit is better, Giroux can be the playmaker for Norris and Bath, Stü for Tank and Tkachuk

Reactions: Icelevel

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yup. Tarasenko's best seasons have been with playmaking centres as well.

Giroux-Norris-Batherson
Grieg-Pinto-Kubalik

Look like the top 9 best bet. However, I wouldn't be least bit surprised to see this top 6 as being extremely effective:

Giroux-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson

2nd line is proven... and 1st line has a bit of everything. Stutzle has turned into a goalscorer himself so having 2 guys who can score and dish will complement Tarasenko very well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Giroux-Norris-Batherson
Grieg-Pinto-Kubalik

Look like the top 9 best bet. However, I wouldn't be least bit surprised to see this top 6 as being extremely effective:

Giroux-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson

2nd line is proven... and 1st line has a bit of everything. Stutzle has turned into a goalscorer himself so having 2 guys who can score and dish will complement Tarasenko very well.

I would go with your second top 9 to start.

We’ll see what happens in camp.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Giroux-Norris-Batherson
Grieg-Pinto-Kubalik

Giroux-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson

What about switching Batherson with Grieg in your first top 9?

Batherson and Giroux are both play drivers so I wouldn’t mind separating them and giving each line the benefit of their creativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad