Line Combos: 2023-24 too early line combos

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... How do we line up next Oct and how does it differ from last year?

As a refresher, game 1 last year looked like this:

Tkachuk-Stützle-Batherson
DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

Forsberg
Talbot* technically he was injured

This year, we have the following pieces locked in or likely to be

???-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-???

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-???
???-???

Forsberg
???

RFA/UFA that decisions need to be made on:
DeBrincat
Brannstrom
JBD
Gauthier
Hamonic
Watson

Possible internal options:
Sogaard
Kleven
Sokolov
Crookshank
Guénette
Thomson

Assuming we go completely internal

DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Gauthier

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
JBD/Kleven-Brannstrom

Forsberg
Sogaard

So, big upgrade on the backend, Greig adds more offense than Motte so a bit of an upgrade on the third line imo. Watson vs Gauthier is probably a wash,

Talbot vs Sogaard, is a real question mark, both were inconsistent, but Sogaard should improve. Certainly don't want Talbot back, but a cheap alternative to Sogaard might be a guy like Stalock.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Norris Batherson
Greig Pinto Joseph
Crookshank Kastelic Gauthier
Sokolov

I think we re-sign Brassard but he might not be ready to start the season

Sanderson Zub
Chychrun Chabot
Klevin Brannstrom
JBD

I predict that we can’t afford Hammer and Klevin wins the spot out of camp.

Forsberg
Anderssen

Sogaard gets to play 50 games in the A. Not my first choice for my tandem starter but most realistic.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Crouse-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Formenton
Kelly-Kastelic-Gauthier

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
JBD/Kleven/Brannstrom/ Hamonic

Forsberg
Swayman or some other goalie who is more experienced and solid to make a tandem with Forsberg while Sogaard develops nore and can be brought up when injuries occur.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Debrincat-Stu-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Formenton*-Kastelic-Brown
Sokolov* + FA depth player

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic
JBD

This team doesn't need bottom 6 help if Norris is healthy. And Especially not if Formenton is back. If hes not, we are one solid bottom six winger away from being done for this year imo.

And the top 6 can compete with any group in the league if healthy imo.

Goalies - who knows?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I know it doesn't sound minor, but either the DBC thing gets worked out and he stays, or we get a solid 25-30 goal player with his money.

Defence is good IMO.

Goaltending depends on Forsberg and it also depends on if we want Sogaard to have another year in the AHL. I don't really know if he needs it or if he needs NHL practices.

It also depends on Formenton.

I mean...these are all small(ish) things IMO, the core is set, we're ready to go, relatively loaded for bear if you will.

DBC - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - FREE AGENT VETERAN
Formenton - Kastelic - Joseph

Sanderson - Chychrun
Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
JBD/Thomson

Forsberg
?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I know it doesn't sound minor, but either the DBC thing gets worked out and he stays, or we get a solid 25-30 goal player with his money.

Defence is good IMO.

Goaltending depends on Forsberg and it also depends on if we want Sogaard to have another year in the AHL. I don't really know if he needs it or if he needs NHL practices.

It also depends on Formenton.

I mean...these are all small(ish) things IMO, the core is set, we're ready to go, relatively loaded for bear if you will.

DBC - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - FREE AGENT VETERAN
Formenton - Kastelic - Joseph

Sanderson - Chychrun
Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
JBD/Thomson

Forsberg
?
NHL practices are not really great as a development tool for goalies. They are usually about 45 minutes and there aren’t that many.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
NHL practices are not really great as a development tool for goalies. They are usually about 45 minutes and there aren’t that many.
Then we'll have to get a 1B. Talbot like - but who doesn't suck

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Then we'll have to get a 1B. Talbot like - but who doesn't suck
Depending on what happens with Debrincat a 1 year stop gap like Stalock or Darth Vladder would work although I think we’d miss the playoffs.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Do you honestly think Forsberg and Sogaard can get us into the playoffs ?
I like Forsberg personally. Will he be 100% healthy? If he is, then I feel ok with it, but we MUST make the playoffs, so if we have to acquire a 1B, then I'm all for it.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Tkachuk-Stützle-Giroux
Cat-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Formenton-Kastelic-Sokolov

No real 4th line, when Jesus Kastelic sits out a fighting major Greig can easily slide in. Or in case of injuries. Scoring in all lines with the ability to be aggressive in PKing resulting in more shorthanded opportunities.

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom/Kleven-Hamonic/Brannstrom

Forsberg
Sogaard

If there’s an opportunity to invest, it would have to be in a legit starter. If none available within the team’s price/cap range, then I am ok to start the season with Forsgaard.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Have to see how the off-season plays out but making the assumption Debrincat is back or there is a viable replacement I'd like to see the top 9 with a bit more balance.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Joseph
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson

I know Joseph had a disappointing season and a lot of folks are down on him but his best hockey he has played here has been next to Brady. I think they compliment each other really well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Have to see how the off-season plays out but making the assumption Debrincat is back or there is a viable replacement I'd like to see the top 9 with a bit more balance.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Joseph
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson

I know Joseph had a disappointing season and a lot of folks are down on him but his best hockey he has played here has been next to Brady. I think they compliment each other really well.
I pushed for something like that going intk this past season, except with Formenton in Greig's spot.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So... How do we line up next Oct and how does it differ from last year?

As a refresher, game 1 last year looked like this:

DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

Forsberg
Talbot* technically he was injured

This year, we have the following pieces locked in or likely to be

???-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-???

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-???
???-???

Forsberg
???

RFA/UFA that decisions need to be made on:
DeBrincat
Brannstrom
JBD
Gauthier
Hamonic
Watson

Possible internal options:
Sogaard
Kleven
Sokolov
Crookshank
Guénette
Thomson

Assuming we go completely internal

DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Gauthier

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
JBD/Kleven-Brannstrom

Forsberg
Sogaard

So, big upgrade on the backend, Greig adds more offense than Motte so a bit of an upgrade on the third line imo. Watson vs Gauthier is probably a wash,

Talbot vs Sogaard, is a real question mark, both were inconsistent, but Sogaard should improve. Certainly don't want Talbot back, but a cheap alternative to Sogaard might be a guy like Stalock.
I don't think Greig is locked in for the 3rd line LW. I think he would benefit from some time in the AHL.

I think Hamonic would add some physical toughness on RD and if he would sign a lower AAV contract for 2 years he might fit in well until someone else can take his place.

Brannstrom has played quite well and is improving so I would like to sign him for a few years (2-3).

JBD needs to do more than he has so far. Kleven seems to have the inside track for the 7th D position at this time; however, he needs to play so it may be the AHL for him for a year or so, giving 7th D to JBD who must start to show he can play at the NHL level.

Gauthier has shown flashes so I think he will be signed for another few years; however, he would not replace Watson who is our physical forward, PKer, and not-so-good enforcer (which I think we still will need in the future).

I pushed for something like that going intk this past season, except with Formenton in Greig's spot.
I would like to add Formenton to the 3rd line LW position.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Joseph
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson

Perhaps. I expect the coaches to spin the players in the first 3 lines like a one-armed bandit, as required, to see which combos work best.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Do you honestly think Forsberg and Sogaard can get us into the playoffs ?
Now that the defensemen have been improved, if the team adopts a more defensive-oriented system, I think the shots against can be reduced and thus reduce the goals against, which could lead to the playoffs. Signing Debrincat and Formenton (or a player like him) would be necessary.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think Formenton should be removed from any consideration until he actually signs a contract. I really liked what he brought as a player but if it wasn't ok to sign him last year, I doubt it will be next year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Bunting(5.75) - Norris - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto(2.2) - Greig
Gauthier - Kastelic - Watson(1.8)
Brassard

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chychrun
Kleven - Hamonic(2)
Guennette?

Gibson(6.4)
Soogard

Brannstrom is a G. After this year he likely commands a contract in the high 2s low 3s. We got Kleven and Sanderson on ELCs still we need to maximize our cap space.

Debrincat I have a feeling it’s going to be hard ball and the sens already have a bunch of forwards on his level or better. Don’t want to commit 8+ to him rather save on a “downgrade” + cap space.

Bunting is a free agent that Toronto likely loses because of their salary cap management and he has proven he can hold his own in a top 6. It would be hard trying to woo him but the sens need to take advantage of other good teams being cap strapped and Bunting would get real opportunity to play top 6 here and with good players.

Use assets from trading away Debrincat + Brannstrom to acquire Gibson and send Forsberg the other way. I would prefer to keep forsberg but the salary cap… Gibson gets an opportunity to compete on a team rather than piss away his career on the ducks that are still far. I picked Gibson because Demko/Saros/Hart/Swayman likely aren’t to actually be moved if one of those guys are actually on the market acquire them over Gibson for sure.

I think that line up is nasty. You got guys like Hamonic, Greig, Kleven, Watson, Tkachuk, Bunting and Kastelic who will play hard and mean all game.

You got high offensive skill in that top 6 and a sweet third line with Pinto player weaker competition.

Have Chabot - Chychrun get 80% of their starts in the oZone. Kleven - Hamonic will allow Hamonic to be a support player to Kleven similar to how he helped Sanderson this year and ya they will be punishing to play against. Lastly Sanderson - Zub would be able to shut down any line in the league.

Laugh but I think it’s a playoff lock and built to play in the playoffs to go against any team

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brady -Norris- Bath
xxx-Stu-Giroux
Grieg -Pinto -Joseph
xxx-Kastelic-Gauthier
Kelly

Sanderson Chychrun
Chabot Zub
Brannstrom JBD
Thomson

Forsberg
xxx

I'm assuming Cat doesn't stay, whomever we move him for or spend his cap space on will be on Stu's wing. I wouldn't surprised if a guy like Jarventie, Lodin, or Sokolov put in the work and get a chance to be on Stu's wing. A rookie being on their wing with a star like Stu who can distribute the puck & Giroux who can read the game so well might not get screwed.

Grieg will get PP time, but him Pinto and Joseph will be responsible for some energy and speed for the third line.

I'm hoping a stud like Crookshank can make 4LW. I'm not going to assume that Formenton is going to be back. If he is, awesome, but given the situation, I can't hope.

Sanderson is good enough defensively to let Chychrun be the dynamic skater that he is. Chabot and Zub is a tried and proven pairing. I think JBD compliments Brannstrom's game best.

Forbserg with the start, and any savings we have after Cat, Hamonic, etc... aren't kept is used for a 1b, no idea who.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Bunting(5.75) - Norris - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto(2.2) - Greig
Gauthier - Kastelic - Watson(1.8)
Brassard

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chychrun
Kleven - Hamonic(2)
Guennette?

Gibson(6.4)
Soogard

Brannstrom is a G. After this year he likely commands a contract in the high 2s low 3s. We got Kleven and Sanderson on ELCs still we need to maximize our cap space.

Debrincat I have a feeling it’s going to be hard ball and the sens already have a bunch of forwards on his level or better. Don’t want to commit 8+ to him rather save on a “downgrade” + cap space.

Bunting is a free agent that Toronto likely loses because of their salary cap management and he has proven he can hold his own in a top 6. It would be hard trying to woo him but the sens need to take advantage of other good teams being cap strapped and Bunting would get real opportunity to play top 6 here and with good players.

Use assets from trading away Debrincat + Brannstrom to acquire Gibson and send Forsberg the other way. I would prefer to keep forsberg but the salary cap… Gibson gets an opportunity to compete on a team rather than piss away his career on the ducks that are still far. I picked Gibson because Demko/Saros/Hart/Swayman likely aren’t to actually be moved if one of those guys are actually on the market acquire them over Gibson for sure.

I think that line up is nasty. You got guys like Hamonic, Greig, Kleven, Watson, Tkachuk, Bunting and Kastelic who will play hard and mean all game.

You got high offensive skill in that top 6 and a sweet third line with Pinto player weaker competition.

Have Chabot - Chychrun get 80% of their starts in the oZone. Kleven - Hamonic will allow Hamonic to be a support player to Kleven similar to how he helped Sanderson this year and ya they will be punishing to play against. Lastly Sanderson - Zub would be able to shut down any line in the league.

Laugh but I think it’s a playoff lock and built to play in the playoffs to go against any team
I like the idea of Bunting.

I think if we sign Hammy he has to be our 6. He’s not old enough to be a 7, he can still play. This would mean that Kleven starts in the AHL because we don’t want the 7 to be a guy who needs development. We can add a vet to play 7, and you just know we’ll injurie on the backend!

if we’re losing DBC and could fill the void with Bunting and let’s say Conor Brown, that would will a top 6 spot with Bunting, and that relentless G-light third line spot with Brown (I know he wanted more opportunty, but maybe he changes his mind after losing a season and is now a UFA).

Watson was solid on the 4th line and can Pk. Is there a younger big guy? Or can we let Kasty carry the fighting load and have a big fast guy like Goat play that spot. Love his speed, don’t love that he’s not very physical while being huge.

Interesting times :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like the idea of Bunting.

I think if we sign Hammy he has to be our 6. He’s not old enough to be a 7, he can still play. This would mean that Kleven starts in the AHL because we don’t want the 7 to be a guy who needs development. We can add a vet to play 7, and you just know we’ll injurie on the backend!

if we’re losing DBC and could fill the void with Bunting and let’s say Conor Brown, that would will a top 6 spot with Bunting, and that relentless G-light third line spot with Brown (I know he wanted more opportunty, but maybe he changes his mind after losing a season and is now a UFA).

Watson was solid on the 4th line and can Pk. Is there a younger big guy? Or can we let Kasty carry the fighting load and have a big fast guy like Goat play that spot. Love his speed, don’t love that he’s not very physical while being huge.

Interesting times :)
If we can sign lucic for a decent price I think lucic Kastelic Goatier would be a nice fourth line.

Bunting is perfect amount of weasel for this squad.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Formenton-Formenton-Formenton

Formenton-Formenton
Formenton-Formenton
Formenton-Formenton

Formenton
Formenton

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Realistically:
Captain - Stu - Giroux
DBC - Norris - Bath
Grieg - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Sokolov

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Chych - Brann

Forsberg - Sogaard

Ideally, if DBC doesn't sign we use the money to bring in player X for 5-6M (2nd line winger with 60 point potential) and sign player Y for 2-3M (veteran bottom-6 center who can put up 40 points and play well defensively).
Goaltending is still a big question mark, but with the defense getting better - they should allow less grade a opportunities.

Examples for player X - Bertuzzi, Terry (RFA), Killorn, Bunting
Examples for player Y - Nosek, Haula, Bjugstad, Toews?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad