Line Combos: 2023-24 too early line combos

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is probably getting too cute and flies in the face of the most obvious answer (keeping Brady/Tim/Claude together) but I couldn't help but think that if Tim is ready to carry his own line/take faceoffs consistently that something like this would look really nice.

Kubalik - Stutzle - Tarasenko
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Papa Claude
Kastelic and the gang

Giroux can spend another year babysitting a couple of kids and transferring his magic to them the same way he did with Brady and Tim. There's also the (admitedlly short lived) chemistry with Greig from last season. Brady goes back to playing with Norris and Bath to elevate both their games as they try to rebound from disappointing seasons, with the bonus that he can take faceoffs for JN if needed.

Obviously a lot of pressure on Stutzle in this scenario, as talented as he is. Kubalik and Tarasenko can both finish but they wouldn't offer the same support and/or insulation that Brady/Claude did.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Tarasenko
Giroux - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Kubalik
Smejkal/Kelly/Imama - Kastelic - Joseph/Sokolov/McEwen

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hammer/JBD

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Giroux-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Smejkal/Greig-Pinto-Kubalik
Greig/Kelly-Kastelic-McEwen/Soko

or flip giroux and tkachuk
I'm starting to warm up to moving Joseph as the Pinto solution.

Greig Pinto Kubalik
Smejkal Kastelic McEwen
Kelly as 13F

Soko is waiver fodder

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tarasenko prefers RW has mentioned he has played almost entirely RW. He will play RW
Agree, which means one of Giroux or Batherson moves down a line or plays their off wing. I would like to see them spread the wealth around to create three good lines & create some secondary scoring, but they have to move Joseph. Smejkal IMO continues to be a wild card, at his age why would he come to NA if they weren't going to give him a good look? He could probably make as much in Europe as he would in Belleville so why come over unless they thought he had a shot at making the team? He can play C or LW so is versatile & they could use another good C who can take draws & he also plays a physical game which we know DJ likes. The two interesting options in Training Camp could be Smejkal & Sokolov & whether eiher are NHL ready.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Tarasenko - two guys who can take draws
Kubalik - Norris - Giroux - left/right draws
Smejkal - Pinto - Batherson - left/right draws
Kelly - Kastelic - Sokolov/MacEwen - left/right draws

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We could go from Hamonic in the top 4 to being our 7th D depending on how good JBD looks in camp, that to me is huge.

3rd line should be much improved with Kubalik, Pinto and Greig. That's a big improvement over Brassard, Motte Joseph (Or Gaudreau and Brown later in the season)

Top 6 looks better on paper with Norris and Tarasenko instead of DeBrincat and Pinto, but the one returning player from our 2nd line should be primed for a much better season as he won't be coming off the High ankle sprain.

Lots to be excited about

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
This is probably getting too cute and flies in the face of the most obvious answer (keeping Brady/Tim/Claude together) but I couldn't help but think that if Tim is ready to carry his own line/take faceoffs consistently that something like this would look really nice.

Kastelic and the gang

Giroux can spend another year babysitting a couple of kids and transferring his magic to them the same way he did with Brady and Tim. There's also the (admitedlly short lived) chemistry with Greig from last season. Brady goes back to playing with Norris and Bath to elevate both their games as they try to rebound from disappointing seasons, with the bonus that he can take faceoffs for JN if needed.

Obviously a lot of pressure on Stutzle in this scenario, as talented as he is. Kubalik and Tarasenko can both finish but they wouldn't offer the same support and/or insulation that Brady/Claude did.
I like these lines the best. As long as Giroux is on the 1st PP unit, all is well. He's one of the best PP producers in the league since he entered and a PP unit with Giroux, Stu, Norris, Tkachuk and Stu would be lethal.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Two issues.
1) stu’s line is gonna be really slow
2) I think the only reason we have kubalik is to give greig a year to develop. I think the third line is
Kubalik-Pinto-Soko

A third line role for a 1st round draft pick in D+3 year isn't a bad development opportunity imo. He gets the luxury of playing against weaker D pairings enough minutes to contribute but not too much to get overwhelmed.

We could go from Hamonic in the top 4 to being our 7th D depending on how good JBD looks in camp, that to me is huge.

3rd line should be much improved with Kubalik, Pinto and Greig. That's a big improvement over Brassard, Motte Joseph (Or Gaudreau and Brown later in the season)

Top 6 looks better on paper with Norris and Tarasenko instead of DeBrincat and Pinto, but the one returning player from our 2nd line should be primed for a much better season as he won't be coming off the High ankle sprain.

Lots to be excited about

I feel Hammy doesn't even get the love. Guy looked great this year excited to see what he does as #6. Was worried we were gonna lose him and the element he brings to our D-Corps.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel Hammy doesn't even get the love. Guy looked great this year excited to see what he does as #6. Was worried we were gonna lose him and the element he brings to our D-Corps.
I like him as a 5/6, but if JBD can push him to a 6/7 and they alternate, or perhaps Kleven does it, that's a substantial improvement,

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Lots to be excited about
It is a team where everyone looks to be slotted correctly for the first time in a long time. Some young guys pushing for spots too. Definitely reason to be optimistic.

Makes me wish Formenton weren't gone and the dead money weren't there. Imagine the current squad without needing to shed for Pinto and with Forms just added in and still have room at the deadline to add. Too bad, but oh well.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It is a team where everyone looks to be slotted correctly for the first time in a long time. Some young guys pushing for spots too. Definitely reason to be optimistic.

Makes me wish Formenton weren't gone and the dead money weren't there. Imagine the current squad without needing to shed for Pinto and with Forms just added in and still have room at the deadline to add. Too bad, but oh well.
There's no cap room to add Formenton if he's suddenly able to be signed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Kastelic and the gang

I want Tkachuk with Stutzle, riding shotgun with him to address any liberties other teams might take.

Reactions: armani

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I feel like there will be some better options available on waivers to start the year than a few guys slotted on our 4th line.

Reactions: Agent Zub

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Sounds like top 6 and top 4 could look like this to start ;

Brady - Timmy - Tank
Giroux - Norris - Bath

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub

I like it a lot with only a slight concern for the defensive awareness of that top line. G and Norris are our two best defensive top 6 guys

Reactions: NB613

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Sounds like top 6 and top 4 could look like this to start ;

Brady - Timmy - Tank
Giroux - Norris - Bath

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub

I like it a lot with only a slight concern for the defensive awareness of that top line. G and Norris are our two best defensive top 6 guys

Yeah I think I prefer seeing Chabot with Zub and Sanderson with Chychrun...

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
With this set-up Sanderson-Zub will be relied on heavily as a shutdown pair and Chabot-Chychrun will get favourable matchups.

Greig - Norris - Giroux
Kubalik - Pinto - Batherson
??? - Kastelic - MacEwen

Big battle for 2 spots left. Kelly, Reinhardt, Sokolov, Smejkal, Crookshank all have a shot I would think.

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD/Hamonic

Kleven sent down because he's waiver exempt. Joseph traded I would guess since it gives us the most flexibility to re-sign Pinto longer term maybe.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yeah I think I prefer seeing Chabot with Zub and Sanderson with Chychrun...

I’ve thought about our top 4 quite a bit and Zub is our best defensive guy. If Sandy is paired with him to be put in a spot to green light offence I’m all for it.

We can see how much if a stud defensively he is, I’m hoping we can further gro his offence .

If he is paired with Zub to dimply
Play tough defensive minutes I’m not so on board with it as much

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I’ve thought about our top 4 quite a bit and Zub is our best defensive guy. If Sandy is paired with him to be put in a spot to green light offence I’m all for it.

We can see how much if a stud defensively he is, I’m hoping we can further gro his offence .

If he is paired with Zub to dimply
Play tough defensive minutes I’m not so on board with it as much

I think any set-up we have doesn't matter that much for Sanderson, he will be used to shutdown top offenses in the league whether he plays with Zub or Chychrun. Both Sanderson and Zub can skate well, defend, but they can also jump in on the offense effectively and carry the puck. I think in a way having Zub with him will give him the opportunity to have more freedom on the ice. If you pair him with Chychrun then that means he might have to stay back a lot more. With Zub he will also be relied on to carry the puck on that pair and provide offense.

I think there's a few ways to set-up this defense that could make sense but I can see what they're doing. They're giving Sanderson a solid player to grow with and that will allow him to pinch in more offensively with more confidence.

I also think that our offense is deep enough that even when Sandy-Zub are getting the tougher matchups they will also play with very very good players in front of them. This year we should drive the play a lot more so "shutdown" pair might not have the same meaning it did in previous years. Say you have Norris-Giroux playing against top lines that gives a ton of support offensively and defensively to that pair.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Greig - Norris - Giroux
Kubalik - Pinto - Batherson
I feel like that's a lot better than our top 9 last season.

OUT:
DBC, Motte, Joseph,

IN:
Tank, Kubalik, Greig

More importantly I'm looking for a healthy Norris, a bounce back Bath, and Pinto to take another step.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Tarasenko is playing at 6'1" 228 pounds.

I knew he was in the 200s but 228 at 6'1" is insane to be honest.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
1693784003789.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad