GDT: 2023-24 season game 26 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @7:30pm 12/13/23

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Byfield breaking out is one of the main things that put them over the top. Since his 2 goal game he has been getting too cute with the puck and focusing on getting open to be the goal scorer. Its great for him wanting to be the guy but that line needs him to be heavy on the wall and in the corners again for that dominant success.

Grundstrom needs to go back to the 4th line so at least one line in the bottom 6 is good.

Fiala isnt the greatest fit for Moore and Danault and should be tried again with Dubois. The 3rd guy on a Fiala Dubois line needs to be the right ingredient though.

They need Gavrikov back asap and also their depth is less dangerous without Kaliyev.

Reactions: funky

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Byfield breaking out is one of the main things that put them over the top. Since his 2 goal game he has been getting too cute with the puck and focusing on getting open to be the goal scorer. Its great for him wanting to be the guy but that line needs him to be heavy on the wall and in the corners again for that dominant success.

Grundstrom needs to go back to the 4th line so at least one line in the bottom 6 is good.

Fiala isnt the greatest fit for Moore and Danault and should be tried again with Dubois. The 3rd guy on a Fiala Dubois line needs to be the right ingredient though.

They need Gavrikov back asap and also their depth is less dangerous without Kaliyev.
Fiala isn’t the greatest fit for this entire roster.

It’s maddening how two of our most expensive forwards don’t seem to gel with anyone.

Reactions: Nasti and Schmooley

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Fiala isn't the greatest fit....for a line that has averaged a goal per game since they were put together.......how long do I get to think about this gem?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Fiala isn't the greatest fit....for a line that has averaged a goal per game since they were put together.......how long do I get to think about this gem?
They are getting a bit careless with the puck and it hurts defensively. A lot of guys could be placed on that line and see good production because Moore and Danault do a lot of heavy lifting. They dont need Fiala to put up those points as they have already been doing it without him for a while now.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
That's the thing I don't think any of us will ever understand. Regardless if people disagree on what to do with PLD or why he's struggling, all of us agree it was a horrible trade and even worse contract. I don't understand how we, as casual fans not in the business, could see that so clearly, yet the donkey in charge couldn't.

Just a stupid, stupid thing all around
One could argue that Byfield's inability to breakout at center prompted the Dubois deal. I don't see Byfield as the type of winger that goes into the corners to mix it up and dig out the puck since he basically played center his entire life.

What I see is a natural center playing wing benefitting from the attention Kopitar and Kempe get leaving some open space for Byfield to slip into.

The is the NHL and teams will make the adjustments.

But to me, I see it not playing out as well later in the season as it has been early in the season.

I would like to see the Kings push Dubois up to Kopitar's wing and move Byfield back to #2 center and see what happens for a couple of games to see if can get Dubois some confidence/going.

Last edited:
Reactions: VILARGOD and bmr

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They are getting a bit careless with the puck and it hurts defensively. A lot of guys could be placed on that line and see good production because Moore and Danault do a lot of heavy lifting. They dont need Fiala to put up those points as they have already been doing it without him for a while now.

Everyone was careless with the puck last night, it was brutal....but the schtick about it not being a fit while that line goes onto score a goal per game, is dishonest at best.....but to your point, a lot of guys...so who? Kaliyev? Lewis? Grundstrom? who exactly?

Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think it's a good thing for this time to see what happens when certain players are out of the lineup versus in. Gives you a really good look at how the dynamic changes. I really wish Clarke was a LHD - he would have slotted in perfectly with Roy.

The Kings definitely looked like they had a bender the night before. Was a really weird dynamic. I was kinda pissed that they didn't respond more after all the Vilardi chirping.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Mike Richards was all heart and effort, and his body eventually failed him for it
PLD is the polar opposite of Richards, so expect him to play forever because he does absolutely nothing to wear down his body

Their similarities are that the are centers that the Kings traded for, and that's where it ends

All the talk about Vilardi being the best player from the rebuild is ridiculous in the heat of the moment hyperbole. No GM would trade either Byfield or Clarke for Vilardi. And yes, the PLD trade was questionable at best at the time, and is looking awful now

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I understand the Peterson/Walker salary dump.

I understood moving Durzi to open a spot for Spence.

I understand moving depth forwards like Kupari and another 4 million player in Iaffalo.

I don't understand obtaining PLD for Vilardi.
Gotta agree - still gonna give PLD a chance but the only negatives on Vilardi for the Kings was probably the injury history and inability to play effectively at Center. I believe that drove the decision to choose PLD over him. However, really hoping he rights the ship. It seems like he gets along with everyone and the leadership group really needs to stay vigilant with this.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
One could argue that Byfield's inability to breakout at center prompted the Dubois deal. I don't see Byfield as the type of winger that goes into the corners to mix it up and dig out the puck since he basically played center his entire life.

What I see is a natural center playing wing benefitting from the attention Kopitar and Kempe get leaving some open space for Byfield to slip into.

The is the NHL and teams will make the adjustments.

But to me, I see it not playing out as well later in the season as it has been early in the season.

I would like to see the Kings push Dubois up to Kopitar's wing and move Byfield back to #2 center and see what happens for a couple of games to see if can get Dubois some confidence/going.
Good points. I want to see what happened when Arvy is back with the team. They will have time to tinker ahead of the trade deadline.

There's no question in my mind that PLD is capable of being great. We've seen that in the highlight videos. The big question, and Jim Fox made a good point about this last night, is he overthinking the game at this point?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Everyone was careless with the puck last night, it was brutal....but the schtick about it not being a fit while that line goes onto score a goal per game, is dishonest at best.....but to your point, a lot of guys...so who? Kaliyev? Lewis? Grundstrom? who exactly?
Lewis Grundstrom Lizotte should be reunited so none of them. So that leaves Kaliyev Laferriere Fagemo as options. Its also about jumpstarting a 3rd line and rolling all 4 again while Danault and Moore can get on just fine without Fiala.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Lewis Grundstrom Lizotte should be reunited so none of them. So that leaves Kaliyev Laferriere Fagemo as options. Its also about jumpstarting a 3rd line and rolling all 4 again while Danault and Moore can get on just fine without Fiala.

That's a 100% different argument, than saying that line wasn't working or not a fit etc, (I realize you weren't arguing that, that was just what I was responding to initially)

Reactions: Schmooley

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
We played last night?

I'm sure it all went great and Dubois showed why he's better than Vilardi right?

• Haha
Reactions: bmr

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
lol

Talk about folding at the slightest bit of adversity; this place is ridiculous. Still tied for the 2nd fewest regulation losses in the league, and the season is over because they're 0-2-1 in the last 3? Gave up a couple leads? So that can't ever happen over the course of 82 games? That's how perfect a team has to be to not lose all faculties as fans if they lose? Goddamn.

A team couldn't be better night in and night out than Boston last year, and it didn't matter.

People were even prepared for the Sutter thing. Win when you shouldn't, turns to losing when you should, turns to losing when you shouldn't, turns to winning when you should. But no, it's all over. The team can't be saved. All crap from now until the sun dies.
Do you realize how detached you sound from reality? You put more stock in nearly three months of hockey and ignore the theme this team has had for years of not being able to adjust.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
PLD has played 42:37 over the last 3 games while Kopitar has played 41:22 over the last 2 games. So much for center depth.

How long before PLD loses a center spot?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Mike Richards was all heart and effort, and his body eventually failed him for it
PLD is the polar opposite of Richards, so expect him to play forever because he does absolutely nothing to wear down his body

Their similarities are that the are centers that the Kings traded for, and that's where it ends

All the talk about Vilardi being the best player from the rebuild is ridiculous in the heat of the moment hyperbole. No GM would trade either Byfield or Clarke for Vilardi. And yes, the PLD trade was questionable at best at the time, and is looking awful now
The only reason would be because of their name alone. Clarke is unproven and to this day currently Vilardi is definitely a better player than Byfield. I don’t know how it’s ridiculous considering how extremely talented Vilardi is. Vilardi’s issue is health, but in regards to talent he’s on his own level. This isn’t a Byfield bad post either, this is why the hell did we trade that guy for PLD.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The only reason would be because of their name alone. Clarke is unproven and to this day currently Vilardi is definitely a better player than Byfield. I don’t know how it’s ridiculous considering how extremely talented Vilardi is. Vilardi’s issue is health, but in regards to talent he’s on his own level. This isn’t a Byfield bad post either, this is why the hell did we trade that guy for PLD.

Yep Vilardi is this generation's Bobby Orr.......

bland

Jul 1, 2004
it's more than just one, it's been 3 games straight of collapses and uncharacteristic play

given this board does overreact but it's starting to be valid
It was actually even before that - this run of poor play started at home against Montreal a couple of weeks back. They won big, but all the usual cracks showed up in that game and it was just a matter of time before the results matched the play.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings have had issues scoring recently. Just haven't been able to generate much.

The season is long. There's going to be ups and downs.

The Kings last few wins felt like the type of wins that come at the end of winning streak.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
i think it would help if arty moved to pld's wing. and byfield could be used as a center.
but the hammerhead runt that makes moves likes these will never deviate from his popularity contest/martinet management style.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Kings had a PP goal and a bad goal by Hellebuyck in the first. Jets made adjustments went ground game on the Kings in the second and the coaching staff didn't have any answers. Their safety valve out of their zone is so telegraphed that when one of the Kings in their zone on the half boards got the puck, the Jets high forward would just slide to the boards to support the forechecker and the Kings would be hemmed in for another 20 seconds. Pretty damned frustrating.

Reactions: hn777 and Schmooley

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
No one underestimates his skill, only the brittleness of his body.
That's my memory of it too. Most everyone realized that Vilardi was the most talented player in that traded, the gamble was whether he was going to stay healthy and have consistent offensive production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad