GDT: 2023-24 season game 13 LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins @7:30pm 11/9/23

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Edmonton to sign Frolov. He would be kryptonite to Copley.

We were playing back to the games and just got back home. Byfield almost handed us the win by himself but was just an inch off a couple of times.

We definitely have to figure out her back up goalie situation and maybe it’s time to sit Laf for a game or two and see if a guy like Turcotte can help that lines chemistry. He has done nothing wrong, and I love the way he plays, but maybe a new body on that line will breathe some life. Turcotte is all over the place and is good on puck pursuits and can help spell PL off on face-offs when he struggles.

Also get Byfield on that first power-play. The reason I think they’re leaving him on the second power play line is it’s giving him confidence to take over the unit and lead the unit.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Copley flat out lost this game for the Kings. 3 of 4 goals were avoidable. An .800 SV% is not acceptable. Two wrap around goals on the same post because Copley was off angle and didn't push off the inside of the post. On the Eller shorty, Copley has to be challenging at the top the goal crease.

Pens have some good offensive skill, but no team should be winning a game with only having 20 shots on goal.

It's time to roll the dice and call up Rittich to backup Talbot. Copley can work on his game with the Ontario Reign if he isn't picked up on waivers.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Copley flat out lost this game for the Kings. 3 of 4 goals were avoidable. An .800 SV% is not acceptable. Two wrap around goals on the same post because Copley was off angle and didn't push off the inside of the post. On the Eller shorty, Copley has to be challenging at the top the goal crease.

Pens have some good offensive skill, but no team should be winning a game with only having 20 shots on goal.

It's time to roll the dice and call up Rittich to backup Talbot. Copley can work on his game with the Ontario Reign if he isn't picked up on waivers.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
How about Turcs, Copley and a 2nd for Blackwood. Heck two wins in a row only 26. Will we have enough cap space. Not sure how much he's making. Wishful thinking but hey worth a shot. Wonder if the sharts take the bait.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
How about Turcs, Copley and a 2nd for Blackwood. Heck two wins in a row only 26. Will we have enough cap space. Not sure how much he's making. Wishful thinking but hey worth a shot. Wonder if the sharts take the bait.
Turcotte and a 2nd for a below average goalie?

Reactions: funky

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Kings didn’t play great, but with an NHL-quality backup they probably come away with two points.

I think Laferriere should be swapped with Turcotte as well—that line needs a different look.
That third line is it's just bad. Not sure what's wrong with Fiala but he looks terrible. He's good for one bad turnover each shift.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Rittich is not much better unfortunately.
At least Rittich has played a number of seasons in the NHL,Copley has not and should not...he looked hesitant and small going down too often and not covering that post was lunacy...

Still young who knows may play better with a better team. Trying to find a solution to Copley don't think Rittich is any better.
Lets at least try

Reactions: ru4reals

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
What I'm seeing from Copley is he's struggling with the faster game. He's a big goalie that has never been quick moving side2side(there were times even last season when I noticed he's weaker going left post to right post). When he stays on his angles, reads the plays well and uses his size, then he's in fairly good shape. The problem is he's not consistent. He had a surprising season last year, but the league scouts all goalies and finds their weaknesses. Copley is not a secret anymore and he's not adjusting his game to what the rest of the league has figured out on him. Some people probably remember during preseason that Rittich was considerably outplaying Copley for the backup job, but Blake was still gonna keep Copley up because of the new 1 year contract he gave him.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
What I'm seeing from Copley is he's struggling with the faster game. He's a big goalie that has never been quick moving side2side(there were times even last season when I noticed he's weaker going left post to right post). When he stays on his angles, reads the plays well and uses his size, then he's in fairly good shape. The problem is he's not consistent. He had a surprising season last year, but the league scouts all goalies and finds their weaknesses. Copley is not a secret anymore and he's not adjusting his game to what the rest of the league has figured out on him. Some people probably remember during preseason that Rittich was considerably outplaying Copley for the backup job, but Blake was still gonna keep Copley up because of the new 1 year contract he gave him.
Yep, mostly agree with this. The problem with his play reading is that he isn't quick enough at it to mitigate the issues that lack of speed causes as you mentioned. Needs to be at least above average to very good at it for it to not be a constant source of goals against like with goals 1/4 on the wraps and 3 (great pass by Sid, but the pucks pretty much by him before he even starts to try and move laterally).

Almost need to give Rittich the Flyers game Saturday at this point (although with the break after, may be able to get Talbot in through until the 20th against Arizona

Beyond goaltending, might be time to see what Turcotte can do on line 3. That line has talent and 2 brand new Kings means an adjustment period is needed, but it's missing something. Fiala needs to wake up despite the point total, but I can't see Todd wanting to mess with the other lines atm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad