GDT: 2023-24 season game 13 LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins @7:30pm 11/9/23

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I dunno guys it's almost like the goalie that was entirely out of the NHL for 3 years minus 2 games isn't an NHLer and that 37 games of below-average NHL goaltending with an aberrational corresponding w/l record wasn't a harbinger of better things to come
but does he goalie better then Karlsson plays defense? That is the question.

My Favorite parts of the game.

1. Kempe punching Malkin in the face, followed by a beautifully choreographed Malkin Dive

2. Englund blowing up whats his nuts, it doesn't matter. He doesnt know his name either

3. Karlsson taking his time to role out the red carpet for Kopitar to skate past and set up Grundy.

So I ask again

does Copley goalie better then Karlsson plays defense? That is the question.

The answer:

No - Copley directly responsible for 2 wrap around goals while Karlsson is in the Fiala territory of only being responsible for one.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I know Fiala is typically a slow starter but I've never seen him play a game as bad as last night. People get benched for shit like that. Play JAD or Turcotte on PLD's wing for a game, let him watch and see why you don't throw blind passes around in the D zone and why you stick your checks in OT especially. setting a terrible example of accountability for everyone else who is bought in, clockwork orange that little bitch with all his mistakes from last night's game, that'll take enough time that he'll miss the entire next game anyway.

God Kaliyev got sent to the bench for weeks for making ONE of those passes in the neutral zone
I have a soft spot for Fiala which is why I think I attribute some of his issues to PLD. Fiala is trying way too hard to make plays and he’s making mistakes because of it. PLD has been coasting and has been a non factor on that line so all of the scoring threat is just Fiala. We saw two or three times yesterday that when PLD actually stopped coasting, chances were made. But he legit never stops coasting and that’s going to be hard for a give and go guy like Fiala.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
@All The Kings Men Curious is this something you feel comfortable asking about, how the coaches feel that line is gelling, or not gelling as it maybe, planning on changing something up, or leave it be that the other 3 lines are working, let Fiala and PLD work it out etc?

Issue isn't that their not scoring now.....it's they have to be scoring when 1st/2nd/4th line stop producing......very rarely if ever you will have all 4 lines rolling at the same time, the issue is you don't want all 4 dead at the same time

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
its obvious you didnt watch the game.
You are right, I didn't. I was spending all that time listening to repeating clips of Faust as penance for sins.

It's not like having preconceived thoughts of certain players can affect viewing or anything, right? I've been vocal about how that line isn't working, but they were good last night, especially defensively.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I have a soft spot for Fiala which is why I think I attribute some of his issues to PLD. Fiala is trying way too hard to make plays and he’s making mistakes because of it. PLD has been coasting and has been a non factor on that line so all of the scoring threat is just Fiala. We saw two or three times yesterday that when PLD actually stopped coasting, chances were made. But he legit never stops coasting and that’s going to be hard for a give and go guy like Fiala.
It's a glaring pace issue, I mentioned that a week or so ago. They are all going at different speeds, not working as a unit. PLD and Fiala have no idea what each other are planning to do so they don't know when to slow down or speed up. Laf is learning everything right now, he's all over the place.

Last night they did much better, but we'll see if they can build on it.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
cb4420aac6ca99f7a9c8a0ab8f2522fc45390cd1.gifv
Does anyone have a link to the go-Fund-Me page for this poor soul who was viciously murdered here? I'd like to help pay for his funeral services.
Such a meanie Kempe!

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
@All The Kings Men Curious is this something you feel comfortable asking about, how the coaches feel that line is gelling, or not gelling as it maybe, planning on changing something up, or leave it be that the other 3 lines are working, let Fiala and PLD work it out etc?

Issue isn't that their not scoring now.....it's they have to be scoring when 1st/2nd/4th line stop producing......very rarely if ever you will have all 4 lines rolling at the same time, the issue is you don't want all 4 dead at the same time
So this feels like an opportune time to pull back the curtain on my thought process and how I approach my job...

This feels like a question that generally speaking I don't personally think should come from "in house"

When I can I try to avoid asking questions that will put members of the organization in a tough spot but this is a conversation that has now reached a point where it feels like it "has" to be asked right?

So generally speaking I'll trust that someone from outside (Bernstein, Stanovich, Stephens) or one of the vets (Fox, Evans) will ask the question.

IF NOBODY DOES.... I then start weighing wether or not I've ever heard McLellan answer the question in a different way at a different time.

For example... a few years ago when the Kings were struggling to get one line working but the other three were clicking McLellan repeatedly said he wasn't interested in disrupting three lines in order to "fix" one and that he would rely on the players on that line to sort it out themselves.

Regardless of how one feels about that answer or that strategy, I'm approaching this from a somewhat strategic standpoint. I want to maximize the likelihood of getting an answer that has information that I can use on the radio or on the podcast. I'm also aware that I work in an ecosystem and that the time and opportunity I have to ask questions is shared with other people in that same ecosystem.

So long story short... I expect the issue to be addressed because at this point it's being talked about by pretty much everybody that I'm aware of ("legacy" media, "indy" "media", fan publications, social media etc)

and if it isn't then yes I will probably try and find a way to ask the question in a way that will result in a productive exchange

I'm NOT going to do what happens in Edmonton where a scrum surrounds Draisaitl and just asks him "Hey how come you guys suck so much?" 18 different ways and then get offended when he doesn't give them anything to work with.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
It's a glaring pace issue, I mentioned that a week or so ago. They are all going at different speeds, not working as a unit. PLD and Fiala have no idea what each other are planning to do so they don't know when to slow down or speed up. Laf is learning everything right now, he's all over the place.

Fiala is always doing his own thing. He is simply more effective when playing with kids who follow his lead than with veterans who make decisions of their own.

He didn't accomplish much in Nashville when paired with veterans and struggled in Minnedora until lined up with kids.

Unreal edge work and explosive bursts, terrific vision in tight spaces. But, he just can't read and react well to what others are doing, he needs to be the one calling the tune.

The majority of Fiala's creativity and mistakes occur between the blue line and the dots. Theoretically playing with Dubois and the traffic he creates should allow for Fiala to take that creativity closer to the net, but he hasn't found a way to take advantage of that room.

Players like Fiala walk the fine line between the sublime and the catastrophic. You have to live with the bad to take the good, unless of course you decide that the juice isn't worth the squeeze and decide to pursue your offense elsewhere from a less spectacular and probably less productive source.

Personally, my team would have no room for the Fiala/Karlsson/Zegras types where you know for absolute certain that you will be paying a heavy price for their numbers.

Reactions: LAKings88

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Yeah, it definitely is a pace issue. I think if you give Fiala someone like Lizzo who’s playing at 100 percent pace he will do better.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So this feels like an opportune time to pull back the curtain on my thought process and how I approach my job...

This feels like a question that generally speaking I don't personally think should come from "in house"

When I can I try to avoid asking questions that will put members of the organization in a tough spot but this is a conversation that has now reached a point where it feels like it "has" to be asked right?

So generally speaking I'll trust that someone from outside (Bernstein, Stanovich, Stephens) or one of the vets (Fox, Evans) will ask the question.

IF NOBODY DOES.... I then start weighing wether or not I've ever heard McLellan answer the question in a different way at a different time.

For example... a few years ago when the Kings were struggling to get one line working but the other three were clicking McLellan repeatedly said he wasn't interested in disrupting three lines in order to "fix" one and that he would rely on the players on that line to sort it out themselves.

Regardless of how one feels about that answer or that strategy, I'm approaching this from a somewhat strategic standpoint. I want to maximize the likelihood of getting an answer that has information that I can use on the radio or on the podcast. I'm also aware that I work in an ecosystem and that the time and opportunity I have to ask questions is shared with other people in that same ecosystem.

So long story short... I expect the issue to be addressed because at this point it's being talked about by pretty much everybody that I'm aware of ("legacy" media, "indy" "media", fan publications, social media etc)

and if it isn't then yes I will probably try and find a way to ask the question in a way that will result in a productive exchange

I'm NOT going to do what happens in Edmonton where a scrum surrounds Draisaitl and just asks him "Hey how come you guys suck so much?" 18 different ways and then get offended when he doesn't give them anything to work with.

Love it, appreciate the response.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The fourth line has been good but I do wonder about swapping Fiala and Grundstrom for a game. Fiala can use a lesson in defensive responsibility and Grundstrom’s energy might be what PLD needs.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

He just got traded for a 6th round pick. He's a career backup.

But we're going to trade Turcotte plus a 2nd for him? That's nuts.

You're fired.

Hilarious, my bad I thought he was better than this. LOL. Alright then let's move that 2nd to a first that would most definitely get that deal done. :sarcasm:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
it seriously gets more puzzling every time i watch it

every other goalie in the league, it's a one piece slide and lock.. copley it's like 3 shimmy pushes and a miss with his body nowhere near the post. just totally off balance and fundamentally horrible
Yeah his post to post technique is bad. As I mentioned, Copley is a big goalie that has never been quick enough to move side2side in his crease. He doesn't even take advantage of the equipment being flat on the inside of the leg pads which can allow him to slide quicker. I would even suggest he loses 5-10 lbs to be quicker.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
On a side note, looks like the next time these two team meet will be Jagr’s jersey retirement. Paying us back for the Brown jersey retirement I guess. Always loved Jagr so looking forward to it.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Fiala is always doing his own thing. He is simply more effective when playing with kids who follow his lead than with veterans who make decisions of their own.

He didn't accomplish much in Nashville when paired with veterans and struggled in Minnedora until lined up with kids.

Unreal edge work and explosive bursts, terrific vision in tight spaces. But, he just can't read and react well to what others are doing, he needs to be the one calling the tune.

The majority of Fiala's creativity and mistakes occur between the blue line and the dots. Theoretically playing with Dubois and the traffic he creates should allow for Fiala to take that creativity closer to the net, but he hasn't found a way to take advantage of that room.

Players like Fiala walk the fine line between the sublime and the catastrophic. You have to live with the bad to take the good, unless of course you decide that the juice isn't worth the squeeze and decide to pursue your offense elsewhere from a less spectacular and probably less productive source.

Personally, my team would have no room for the Fiala/Karlsson/Zegras types where you know for absolute certain that you will be paying a heavy price for their numbers.
In my view , Fiala is also very good on the PP. he is one of the reasons the PP has been working so well since he arrived . It is a big factor in getting W whether it is in the regular season or in the playoffs . Even this year where he is not scoring like he should , he does contribute a lot . I watch all the games . You see he gets a lot of primary and secondary assists making plays with his incredible vision . To me this outweighs the turnovers and risky plays when he tries to do too much.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Does anyone have a link to the go-Fund-Me page for this poor soul who was viciously murdered here? I'd like to help pay for his funeral services.
Such a meanie Kempe!
Right before Kempe's punch this POS straight cheap shot on Kempe. Wish Kempe's punch was without the glove. F***kin P*ssy.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The fourth line has been good but I do wonder about swapping Fiala and Grundstrom for a game. Fiala can use a lesson in defensive responsibility and Grundstrom’s energy might be what PLD needs.
I don't know if that's the issue with PLD. Both Fiala and Laferriere are high-energy players. This is just the PLD the Kings signed up for.

Didn't Fiala spend some time on Danault's line last year after he didn't mesh with Kopitar?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't know if that's the issue with PLD. Both Fiala and Laferriere are high-energy players. This is just the PLD the Kings signed up for.

Didn't Fiala spend some time on Danault's line last year after he didn't mesh with Kopitar?
Laferriere has done nothing wrong but I’d give Turcotte a look (possibly even through the middle and move PLD to wing). He’s a different type of player and I think may just glue Fiala and PLD together.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

Grundstrom is more of a wrecking ball type though. It‘s like how Sutter used to saddle Kopitar with Dwight King to get him going. I wouldn’t change the other two lines. They’re playing well.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Fiala and Danault were very good together last year. Danault was better with him than with Moore IIRC. But Moore in general wasn't as good last year.

If the Kings were going to tweak the lineup, swapping out Moore and Fiala would be the move IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad