Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Seeler brings a lot of the same for less, both in terms of what it would take to acquire and contract. Seeler is also a good PK. I would still take Xhekaj, don't get me wrong, but would be cost dependent.
Definitely cost dependant and definitely not happening. Would love it though

MTL will not trade. Certainly not to Boston.
Hence the mention of it not happening and a 1% chance of it happening. Unless they want the softness defenceman in the league in exchange for the toughest?! 😂

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Is Hanifin’s Interest in Bruins Making Trades Difficult?​

Trade discussions involving Calgary Flames defenseman Noah Hanifin have extended to multiple teams, with the Arizona Coyotes emerging as the latest contender alongside the New York Islanders and Boston Bruins. However, an intriguing twist has surfaced. Speculation is that Hanifin holds a preference for the Bruins, leaving other teams unsure about making a trade if he’s inevitably going to wind up in Boston.

Latest News & Highlight

1:34
arrow_back_ios_new
arrow_forward_ios

Insider Renaud Lavoie of TVA noted during a recent appearance on Sportsnet radio that the Flames may be encountering challenges in any trade as the obstacle appears to stem from the defenseman’s strong desire to join the Bruins and ultimately sign long-term there. If true, he’s merely a rental and the value for him in a trade changes.

The Bruins are said to have an interest in Hanifin, dating all the way back to 2015. They may be willing to trade for him, but they likely would only give up so much if he could simply sign there during the summer. The question becomes what the value of having him for this season’s playoff run is worth.

Wow. I just always assumed it was a pipe dream. But seems like it has some potential legs under it.

Hanafin -- Mcavoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

Lohrei -- Regula

That could be the top 6 next year.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Campbell did beat up Pyatt in the brawl with the Canadiens, can't remember Kostopulous or Adams ever winning
1701897134588.png

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Been lurking but not posting this season (work and school), but to me going after Hanifin doesn't make sense. Great player, but we have Lohrei for the second pair with Carlo. Hanifin won't play on the third line. Getting Forbort and Grizz, if that's what Sweeney does, off the cap makes it easier for the Bs to bring in multiple forward talents, hopefully a center, next year. That's where I'd like to see the focus. And signing Swayman.

Maybe you all think Hanifin is better than what Lohrei will be? I understand the move then.
I think I’d the rumours are true that Hanafin is willing to take a pay cut, you really have to consider that. How often can a team get a top 4 defensman on a team friendly contract?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Been looking a lot into what next summer could look like during this break without a game, having a tough time trying to figure out what we're gonna end up doing. We have Poitras and beecher already claiming full time roles, Lohrei will have one for sure next season, and then Lysell and Merkulov will be entering their third pro seasons and will be in need of NHL roster spots as well. If you re-sign Debrusk and then slot all those guys in, then your forward group is set and you can spend all your cap on a LHD partner for McAvoy and a RHD to pair with Lohrei.

But also, that's an awful lot of young guys for a team that obviously intends to be competing, and you can't exactly wait for all of them to develop since Marchand is 35 and Pasta/McAvoy are in the middle of their primes. Almost feels like there HAS to be a big trade coming at some point, if not in-season then during the summer. Complete gut feeling, but I think Lysell is the one that get moved.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Been looking a lot into what next summer could look like during this break without a game, having a tough time trying to figure out what we're gonna end up doing. We have Poitras and beecher already claiming full time roles, Lohrei will have one for sure next season, and then Lysell and Merkulov will be entering their third pro seasons and will be in need of NHL roster spots as well. If you re-sign Debrusk and then slot all those guys in, then your forward group is set and you can spend all your cap on a LHD partner for McAvoy and a RHD to pair with Lohrei.

But also, that's an awful lot of young guys for a team that obviously intends to be competing, and you can't exactly wait for all of them to develop since Marchand is 35 and Pasta/McAvoy are in the middle of their primes. Almost feels like there HAS to be a big trade coming at some point, if not in-season then during the summer. Complete gut feeling, but I think Lysell is the one that get moved.

I would not assume Lysell or Georgi will claim roster spots next season. Either or both may be traded. For that matter, as much as I like Jake, he too may be gone at or before the upcoming deadline. Maybe those two fit if JDB is dealt.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I would not assume Lysell or Georgi will claim roster spots next season. Either or both may be traded. For that matter, as much as I like Jake, he too may be gone at or before the upcoming deadline. Maybe those two fit if JDB is dealt.
I'd be shocked if Jake is dealt, we already have a hole in the top 6 and have been cycling between Heinen, JVR, and Geekie there at times. Moving out a top 6 winger is not a thing we can afford to do, and despite his lack of production so far Jake is still a top 6 winger.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
yeah if we trade for Hanafin my guess is it most certainly included Lohrei and possibly Gryz. I like Hanafin but he’s not that much better than Gryz and his ceiling is lower than Lohrei.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'd be shocked if Jake is dealt, we already have a hole in the top 6 and have been cycling between Heinen, JVR, and Geekie there at times. Moving out a top 6 winger is not a thing we can afford to do, and despite his lack of production so far Jake is still a top 6 winger.

Not only that, but there no clear cut candidates out of Providence that can step in and replace JDB and eventually Marchand in 2-3 seasons. I think we have some interesting options at center to the point maybe we won't need to outsource for one but they need to put some focus on finding wingers with upside. Lysell is a nice prospect but after that, I feel like it falls off a cliff.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
yeah if we trade for Hanafin my guess is it most certainly included Lohrei and possibly Gryz. I like Hanafin but he’s not that much better than Gryz and his ceiling is lower than Lohrei.

I disagree, I think he's a bit of an upgrade. Hanafin plays regularly in all situations - he's Calgary's 2nd most used defenseman on the PK, PP, and 5v5. Grys is primarily a 5v5 dman, though he's seen more PK work this year than I think at any point in his career.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I like Jake, but a] inconsistency remains an issue, though I thought he had left that behind, and b] he's going to ask for 7 million, most likely. Would you pay that?

Would the Bruins?

IF Lysell can make the jump and produce next year -- two very large if's -- Boston may be best served by moving Jake for draft selections. That will not happen in season.

But, I wouldn't put it past Sweeney to deal Jake for something that helps this season, before the deadline.

I'm no expert but could see Gryz, Jake and whatever else (prospects, NOT picks) going in return for "something."

Last edited:

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I think I’d the rumours are true that Hanafin is willing to take a pay cut, you really have to consider that. How often can a team get a top 4 defensman on a team friendly contract?
apparently very often since in that scenario we'd have:

McAvoy - appropriately paid
Hanafin - underpaid
Lindholm - a bit underpaid
Carlo - Ridiculously underpaid

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Wow. I just always assumed it was a pipe dream. But seems like it has come potential legs under it.

Hanafin -- Mcavoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

Lohrei -- Regula

That could be the top 6 next year.
Where are you seeing that it could have legs? I'd love to see Hanifin in Boston.

Hanafin, Lindholm and Lohrei on the left side would be terrific.

Reactions: bbfan419

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

The Bruins are not going to trade Mason Lohrei.

IMHO, it's also unlikely they will trade for Hanifan in season if, as reports suggest, he would like to sign long term with the B's.

There's no rush at present, and no need to give up the farm.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Where are you seeing that it could have legs? I'd love to see Hanifin in Boston.

Hanafin, Lindholm and Lohrei on the left side would be terrific.

Rumored source from another poster that I was replying to. So while not direct confirmation, the rumor that was being discussed on Sportsnet is that Hanafin's desire is to end up on the Bruins and sign here long term, which might be making some contenders balk at trading for him if they know he'll just bolt for Boston in the offseason. This could be another Taylor Hall situation where essentially picked his trade destination.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I like Jake, but a] inconsistency remains an issue, though I thought he had left that behind, and b] he's going to ask for 7 million, most likely. Would you pay that?

Would the Bruins?

IF Lysell can make the jump and produce next year -- two very large if's -- Boston may be best served by moving Jake for draft selections. That will not happen in season.

But, I wouldn't put it past Sweeney to deal Jake for something that helps this season, before the deadline.

I'm no expert but could see Gryz, Jake and whatever else (prospects, NOT picks) going in return for "something."
We're in first place, Sweeney isn't moving out 2 full time roster player.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I Gryz can get 4mil on the open market Let him go. help him pack. What is his trade value at present if he is a a 4mil D-man

He's already been a 3.7 million dollar player for the last 4 years, and the prices have gone up at least marginally since 2020.

Reactions: Gordoff

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

JDB, gryz and yes possibly Lysell. If they are smart, Ullmark. Three of the four should go. An Ullmark, JDB packge should get you someone good. Unfortunately they seem set on keeping Ullmark, which means Grz and maybe JDB get sold for parts, for no better than half their value.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad