Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Because D play more minutes and can more easily play fwd than fwd play D.

Still ok with one of each. Linidstrom and Wideman are more expendable than a young goalie, if he shows in camp he is NHL ready.

Lindstrom in the AHL would also likely mean one of Struble/Mailloux in the ECHL.
LOL. Struble might be their best all-around D. Mailloux is not going to the ECHL.

Both are miles ahead of Bisson, Galipeau, Norlinder, Beaudin, even Tourigny.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Still ok with one of each. Linidstrom and Wideman are more expendable than a young goalie, if he shows in camp he is NHL ready.

LOL. Struble might be their best all-around D. Mailloux is not going to the ECHL.

Both are miles ahead of Bisson, Galipeau, Norlinder, Beaudin, even Tourigny.

Primeau is not NHL-ready, a hot camp won't change that.

He's been capable of NHL level play since he got signed, what he needs to fix is his mental which a training camp won't show.

I already have Tourigny in the ECHL and Beaudin, Bisson and Galipeau are all currently better than Mailloux. Will probably be a different story at season end. And Beaudin can reject an assignment to the ECHL.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Primeau is not NHL-ready, a hot camp won't change that.

He's been capable of NHL level play since he got signed, what he needs to fix is his mental which a training camp won't show.

Which is why the organization owes it to itself to give him some games and see how he actually plays.

I already have Tourigny in the ECHL and Beaudin, Bisson and Galipeau are all currently better than Mailloux. Will probably be a different story at season end. And Beaudin can reject an assignment to the ECHL.
The 6 guys on D I would have playing, at this date, are:
Struble​
Trudeau​
Keeper​
Mailloux​
Lindstrom​
Bisson or Norlinder​
8th D: Galipeau
can sit out and eat hot dogs if that's what he wants: Beaudin

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Which is why the organization owes it to itself to give him some games and see how he actually plays.

The 6 guys on D I would have playing, at this date, are:
Struble​
Trudeau​
Keeper​
Mailloux​
Lindstrom​
Bisson or Norlinder​
8th D: Galipeau
can sit out and eat hot dogs if that's what he wants: Beaudin

I really don't understand your logic.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I really don't understand your logic.
My logic is that Allen is not in our long-term plans, and I would like to see what Primeau can do with a half-decent club in front of him. Give him 5-6 games in Oct-Nov and evaluate. Like you said, he is technically ready, how will he do in NHL games?

We only got sidetrcked into the D in Laval discussion becuase you had us keeping Lindstrom and I had him in Laval.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Farrell - Andersson - Roy
Simoneau - Maillet - Lagare
Condotta - Stephens - Mesar
Bourque - Mysak - McKay
(Gignac - Davidson rotate in)

Kidney I think will start in the E to get top minutes but eventual comes up.

Trudeau - Beaudin
Struble - Mailloux
Norlinder - Keeper
Tourigny

This is literally top of my head I know I must be missing someone for sure but this is what I see.

I think Armia may get waived depending on camp. Lindstrom also should be down. Obviously Heinemen a huge possibility aswell.

If I had time to look this might change but that’s what I got

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My logic is that Allen is not in our long-term plans, and I would like to see what Primeau can do with a half-decent club in front of him. Give him 5-6 games in Oct-Nov and evaluate. Like you said, he is technically ready, how will he do in NHL games?

We only got sidetrcked into the D in Laval discussion becuase you had us keeping Lindstrom and I had him in Laval.

Still make no sense to me. It actually makes negative sense to me. Throwing Primeau in a sink or swim situation is not what you want. You also have less chances to get him through waivers during the season as injuries pile up.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Still make no sense to me. It actually makes negative sense to me. Throwing Primeau in a sink or swim situation is not what you want. You also have less chances to get him through waivers during the season as injuries pile up.
We would only waive him during the season if we give up on him.

And how is giving him 5-6 games over 2 months, plus all the practicing with the team "sink or swim"?

My viewpoint is that we do not waive him if we have not yet given up on him. Taking a chance, in order to avoid exposing a scrub like Lindstrom or Wideman, is not advisable.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Farrell - Andersson - Roy
Simoneau - Maillet - Lagare
Condotta - Stephens - Mesar
Bourque - Mysak - McKay
(Gignac - Davidson rotate in)

Kidney I think will start in the E to get top minutes but eventual comes up.

Trudeau - Beaudin
Struble - Mailloux
Norlinder - Keeper
Tourigny

This is literally top of my head I know I must be missing someone for sure but this is what I see.

I think Armia may get waived depending on camp. Lindstrom also should be down. Obviously Heinemen a huge possibility aswell.

If I had time to look this might change but that’s what I got
I think Davidson is going to show that his play in the W was no fluke, and that he is way better than Mysak and Mackay.

He may be the next RHP. He has energy and no fear. And while not fast by NHL standards, he knows where to be on the ice to get scoring chances.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I think Davidson is going to show that his play in the W was no fluke, and that he is way better than Mysak and Mackay.

He may be the next RHP. He has energy and no fear. And while not fast by NHL standards, he knows where to be on the ice to get scoring chances.
I agree 100%. And while i said rotate in, I suspect by the end of the year he will find himself as a regular in the lineup as Simoneau and RHP did. Id rather McKay in the lineup than Mysak honestly. They both work so damn hard but something about McKay just makes me wanna run through a wall for him

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

And how is giving him 5-6 games over 2 months, plus all the practicing with the team "sink or swim"?

My viewpoint is that we do not waive him if we have not yet given up on him. Taking a chance, in order to avoid exposing a scrub like Lindstrom or Wideman, is not advisable.

You waive him if you want to give him a chance to succeed.

This is not about not wanting to waive Wideman/Lindstrom, it's about keeping him in the NHL being the worst decision possible.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Which teams exactly would claim him off waivers? A team looking to upgrade their backup will take a proven goalie someone is sending down not a Primeau you need to keep on your roster all season who has done nothing at the AHL or NHL level to warrant the claim. If he only plays 5-6 games in two months as you suggest, it does nothing for his development. I would even go so far as to say development wise, to start the year the young goalies need to be in a position to face as many pucks as possible even if it means Primeau and Mann are in Laval and Dobes starting in 3R .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You waive him if you want to give him a chance to succeed.

This is not about not wanting to waive Wideman/Lindstrom, it's about keeping him in the NHL being the worst decision possible.
Is it? You stated, as many here believe, that he may be physically ready for the NHL but his challenge is focus and mental strength.

How does he get past those if we keep sending him back to Laval where he does ok and is confident?

Why would he sink/drown? We're not putting the world of pressure on him. It's not a catastrophe if we lose more than half the games he plays in. He isn't being counted on to play several games in a row at this point, not at all.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Which teams exactly would claim him off waivers? A team looking to upgrade their backup will take a proven goalie someone is sending down not a Primeau you need to keep on your roster all season who has done nothing at the AHL or NHL level to warrant the claim. If he only plays 5-6 games in two months as you suggest, it does nothing for his development. I would even go so far as to say development wise, to start the year the young goalies need to be in a position to face as many pucks as possible even if it means Primeau and Mann are in Laval and Dobes starting in 3R .
Primeau has seen enough pucks the past two seasons after his sparse 20-21 season on the taxi squad. Nothing wrong with him now getting the load of an NHL backup for a couple of months. Dobes needs lots of pucks, Vrbetic too if we sign him. Primeau has been through that stage already. Now if the brass thinks he will never be NHL calibre, then fine waive him, drop him, lose him, whatever. Otherwise, it's time to give him a taste of NHL backup and see if he can handle it.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree 100%. And while i said rotate in, I suspect by the end of the year he will find himself as a regular in the lineup as Simoneau and RHP did. Id rather McKay in the lineup than Mysak honestly. They both work so damn hard but something about McKay just makes me wanna run through a wall for him
For which team?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Is it? You stated, as many here believe, that he may be physically ready for the NHL but his challenge is focus and mental strength.

How does he get past those if we keep sending him back to Laval where he does ok and is confident?

Why would he sink/drown? We're not putting the world of pressure on him. It's not a catastrophe if we lose more than half the games he plays in. He isn't being counted on to play several games in a row at this point, not at all.

He isn't doing ok and being confident in Laval, that's the point.

I feel like you're stuck on your 2019-2020 vision of Primeau.

Reactions: nicehiss

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He isn't doing ok and being confident in Laval, that's the point.

I feel like you're stuck on your 2019-2020 vision of Primeau.
He's already confident in Laval and has played there four seasons.

What more does he have to develop in Laval?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Primeau has seen enough pucks the past two seasons after his sparse 20-21 season on the taxi squad. Nothing wrong with him now getting the load of an NHL backup for a couple of months. Dobes needs lots of pucks, Vrbetic too if we sign him. Primeau has been through that stage already. Now if the brass thinks he will never be NHL calibre, then fine waive him, drop him, lose him, whatever. Otherwise, it's time to give him a taste of NHL backup and see if he can handle it.
Lindgren was the on the taxi squad, not Primeau. Primeau was the starting goalie in Laval that year.

Vrbetic is not in our top 4 pro goalies. I'd even argue he's currently #7. Him being the backup in Laval would be a slap in the face to the team.

Reactions: nicehiss and Nevins

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

How does playing 4 seasons prove he is confident?

He's still the inconsistent goalie prone to mental lapse that he was in his first pro year.

The more you write, the more I get the feeling you haven't followed Primeau at all.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
How does playing 4 seasons prove he is confident?

I said he looks confident IN LAVAL. So I don't see how a 5th Laval season will change anything for his confidence in the NHL. If anything, waiving him tells Cayden the organizaiton has no hope in him.

He's still the inconsistent goalie prone to mental lapse that he was in his first pro year.

The more you write, the more I get the feeling you haven't followed Primeau at all.
I have followed him well. We just disagree over whether it's best to never again give him the chance at NHL games. I don't see the benefit of coddling him.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018

Consistency. That would be a good thing to start with.

He’s 3-12-2 in 17 games with 4.11 GAA and .871. Granted, he didn’t play behind the best teams, but that’s pretty bad.

You want to keep two months in the NHL to barely play some games and practice. Maybe he’ll get some fire by going back to AHL with a young player like Dobes pushing in his back.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Consistency. That would be a good thing to start with.

He’s 3-12-2 in 17 games with 4.11 GAA and .871. Granted, he didn’t play behind the best teams, but that’s pretty bad.

You want to keep two months in the NHL to barely play some games and practice. Maybe he’ll get some fire by going back to AHL with a young player like Dobes pushing in his back.
If he has a good camp and EARNS the chance at a backup role, I would not want to risk losing 24 year old Primeau on waivers. He is about a year younger than Monty was when we grabbed him off waivers, and Primeau has had better AHL stats than Monty had. I understand there is a chance Cayden might slip through, but he also might not. I don't think hoarding Lindstrom or Wideman is a sufficient reward to take a percentage risk. We still have Beaudin and Keeper in Laval if we need a warm body for a few weeks and don't want to rush Mailloux, Trudeau or Struble into NHL action.

At some point we have to reward the fire he has already shown. Taking Laval on the long playoff run 18 months ago proved he could handle pressure. He came through again in the stretech last season to clinch the playoffs. In my opinion a strong camp earns him another chance to show if he is ready for an NHL backup role. Allen won't be here forever, and we don't know Monty's salary demands yet, nor his long-term performance level.

We have an abundance of F and D in our 50 contracts, but only 3 NHL contracted goalies if we lose Primeau, and the third is a raw rookie who should not be thrust into the NHL at all.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I said he looks confident IN LAVAL. So I don't see how a 5th Laval season will change anything for his confidence in the NHL. If anything, waiving him tells Cayden the organizaiton has no hope in him.

I have followed him well. We just disagree over whether it's best to never again give him the chance at NHL games. I don't see the benefit of coddling him.

But he doesn't look confident in Laval, it's clear as day.

Young goalies that are not ready get waived all the time. It has little meaning of "no hope in him".

It's not about coddling him, it's about giving him a chance to fix his mental issues without rabid fans booing him out of hockey. Montreal is a terrible place for young goalies.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
If he has a good camp and EARNS the chance at a backup role, I would not want to risk losing 24 year old Primeau on waivers. He is about a year younger than Monty was when we grabbed him off waivers, and Primeau has had better AHL stats than Monty had. I understand there is a chance Cayden might slip through, but he also might not. I don't think hoarding Lindstrom or Wideman is a sufficient reward to take a percentage risk. We still have Beaudin and Keeper in Laval if we need a warm body for a few weeks and don't want to rush Mailloux, Trudeau or Struble into NHL action.

At some point we have to reward the fire he has already shown. Taking Laval on the long playoff run 18 months ago proved he could handle pressure. He came through again in the stretech last season to clinch the playoffs. In my opinion a strong camp earns him another chance to show if he is ready for an NHL backup role. Allen won't be here forever, and we don't know Monty's salary demands yet, nor his long-term performance level.

We have an abundance of F and D in our 50 contracts, but only 3 NHL contracted goalies if we lose Primeau, and the third is a raw rookie who should not be thrust into the NHL at all.

The problem is that a good camp might not be enough to earn it. Could he become good goaltender in the NHL ? There’s definitely a possibility, but with Allen’s contract and Monty’s play last season it will be a tough decision to make.

One bad game for Primeau in preseason might seal his fate. If he plays himself into contention, Hughes will either have to pull the trigger or take the gamble he’ll pass through.

Beaudin and Keeper are not NHL material and Wideman is injured.

Lindstrom hasn’t looked out of place for now and the young defensemen need playing time in the AHL. If Primeau is stellar and dominates during preseason, sure keep him up while you sort things out.

That possibility is slim, especially with the reduced amount of preseason game this year he might not get more than a game and half.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Young goalies that are not ready get waived all the time. It has little meaning of "no hope in him".

It's not about coddling him, it's about giving him a chance to fix his mental issues without rabid fans booing him out of hockey. Montreal is a terrible place for young goalies.
I respect your conclusion to not expose him to the NHL if he is not confident in Laval.

I just see it as that he IS confident in Laval.
The problem is that a good camp might not be enough to earn it. Could he become good goaltender in the NHL ? There’s definitely a possibility, but with Allen’s contract and Monty’s play last season it will be a tough decision to make.

One bad game for Primeau in preseason might seal his fate. If he plays himself into contention, Hughes will either have to pull the trigger or take the gamble he’ll pass through.

Beaudin and Keeper are not NHL material and Wideman is injured.

Lindstrom hasn’t looked out of place for now and the young defensemen need playing time in the AHL. If Primeau is stellar and dominates during preseason, sure keep him up while you sort things out.

That possibility is slim, especially with the reduced amount of preseason game this year he might not get more than a game and half.
If Lindstrom beats out Barron for the 7th spot, Barron can be sent down without risk of losing him to waivers. Better he plays in Laval than sits up here. Same technically with Harris and Xhekaj but I think they are less likely to fall behind Lindstrom.

I respect your conclusion to not expose him to the NHL if he is not confident in Laval.

I just see it as that he IS confident in Laval.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad