Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

Jul 6, 2016
I can't wait to watch them, so many young players this year, it must be of the youngest team in the AHL.

Heineman-Anderson-Roy
Farrell-Maillet-Mesar
Davidson-Gignac-Bourque
Condotta-Mitchell-Simoneau

Mysak-McKay-Kidney-Parker-Johns

We have too many forwards no???
Mitchell ???? You mean Stephens ?

Maillet has not impressed me much. Simoneau is a little dynamo that deserves more ice time at center. Mesar could start in Laval, but I am stll comvinced that he is not pro ready at all.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Mitchell ???? You mean Stephens ?

Maillet has not impressed me much. Simoneau is a little dynamo that deserves more ice time at center. Mesar could start in Laval, but I am stll comvinced that he is not pro ready at all.
Mesar has two pro seasons under his belt already ;)

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
two in a weak league..... He did not light it up in a Junior league (OHL) last season.
Slovak league is equivalent to ECHL, let just not act like it is some beer league. Nemec, Mesar, Pekarcik, Jedlicka were all drafted in last couple years. Pavol Regenda signed NHL contract with Ducks, so there is definitely some quality. I agree, his season in OHL was underwhelming, but he is one of those kids who play better at higher level. I am not saying he should be quaranteed AHL spot, nobody should, but I think he can play 3RW at least.

Jul 6, 2016
Slovak league is equivalent to ECHL, let just not act like it is some beer league. Nemec, Mesar, Pekarcik, Jedlicka were all drafted in last couple years. Pavol Regenda signed NHL contract with Ducks, so there is definitely some quality. I agree, his season in OHL was underwhelming, but he is one of those kids who play better at higher level. I am not saying he should be quaranteed AHL spot, nobody should, but I think he can play 3RW at least.
That, I can hardly understand how it could be. Give me some real examples of that. Guys in the past who were drafted at 20 like Lafleur were crushing their own league playing against guys in their own age range. And even then, It took three full seasons for lafleur to reach his cruising speed. The guys dominating in their own age group are usually ready or closer to compete at higher level. There is some exceptions of course. On top of that, Mesar is far from being physically ready. Have you watched teams who are contending for Cups ? There is no thin, smallish bodies on their roster.

I have low confidence that guys like Mesar, Rohrer, and the American drafted kids like Smith, Biondi, Pitlick will ever reach NHL. Hutson could be the exception because of his elite talent and vision.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
On top of that, Mesar is far from being physically ready. Have you watched teams who are contending for Cups ? There is no thin, smallish bodies on their roster.

I have low confidence that guys like Mesar, Rohrer, and the American drafted kids like Smith, Biondi, Pitlick will ever reach NHL. Hutson could be the exception because of his elite talent and vision.
There was obviously some issue in Kitchener. Btw, he was no.1 in whole OHL in chances created per 60 mins, so he has some elite vision as well.
I agree, I am not a huge fan of Mesar (profile picture is misleading). I would draft him 2nd round, he had underwhelming season, but I still believe he can become solid NHLer. I would not keep him in long-term core with Habs as well. Just too much of same assets with Newhook or Farrell.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I hope they send Mesar back to the OHL or Europe. There were talks of sending prospects in TR, and while I like the idea of having a team there in case of injuries and whatnot, I don't want prospects down there.

Some people were saying Davidson should go play for TR for a while because we have too many bodies in the NHL/AHL. I think it's fair to say now that he deserves a chance in the top 6 for Laval.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A good AHL level player, though.

He is. I was hoping he'd be someone the Rocket re-sign. But he signed with the Chicago Wolves. Tory Dello signed with them also.

I hope they send Mesar back to the OHL or Europe. There were talks of sending prospects in TR, and while I like the idea of having a team there in case of injuries and whatnot, I don't want prospects down there.

Some people were saying Davidson should go play for TR for a while because we have too many bodies in the NHL/AHL. I think it's fair to say now that he deserves a chance in the top 6 for Laval.

I'm okay with them sending him back to the OHL. But my hope is they trade him from Kitchener to a better team. However, I feel he is AHL-ready. I know he's not jumping out at us during camp. But I think that once he gets comfortable, he will be an effective player. I wouldn't want him in 3R. Either in Laval or back to Junior.

As for Davidson, people sent him to 3R because not many really knew about him. He played in the WHL so we weren't getting as many viewings of him as we did the prospects in Q or the OHL. His games were at 9 or 10 at night. But at camp, people realize that he is good enough to be in the AHL. And his line with Bourque and Gignac (established AHL-ers) shows that he has what it takes to play with them.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Davidson could come to Europe as well. Tourigny did it last year and he loved it here in Slovakia.
Prospects can stay in Laval, but they need to play top 9 minutes. You have Farrell, Heineman, Roy, Mešár, Myšák, Kidney, Davidson competing with 8 AHL "vets".

Reactions: jrom and Sagikev

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Davidson could come to Europe as well. Tourigny did it last year and he loved it here in Slovakia.
Prospects can stay in Laval, but they need to play top 9 minutes. You have Farrell, Heineman, Roy, Mešár, Myšák, Kidney, Davidson competing with 8 AHL "vets".

The difference between Tourigny last year (and Rohrer this year) and Davidson is that Tourigny wasn't signed to any contract with the Habs, whether ELC or AHL when he was loaned to Europe. Davidson this year is already under an AHL contract.

In order for him to be loaned to Europe, he'd have to either be signed to an ELC and loaned there. Or they'd have to break the AHL deal in order for him to sign with a European team. And I don't think the Canadiens have any interest in either signing him to an ELC or to break the AHL deal for him to go overseas. Because the reason they signed him to an AHL deal is because they have his rights for another year and they he's going down the same path as RHP and Simoneau.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He is. I was hoping he'd be someone the Rocket re-sign. But he signed with the Chicago Wolves. Tory Dello signed with them also.

I'm okay with them sending him back to the OHL. But my hope is they trade him from Kitchener to a better team. However, I feel he is AHL-ready. I know he's not jumping out at us during camp. But I think that once he gets comfortable, he will be an effective player. I wouldn't want him in 3R. Either in Laval or back to Junior.

As for Davidson, people sent him to 3R because not many really knew about him. He played in the WHL so we weren't getting as many viewings of him as we did the prospects in Q or the OHL. His games were at 9 or 10 at night. But at camp, people realize that he is good enough to be in the AHL. And his line with Bourque and Gignac (established AHL-ers) shows that he has what it takes to play with them.

Thing is that we have like 15 forwards that should be AHL regulars.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The difference between Tourigny last year (and Rohrer this year) and Davidson is that Tourigny wasn't signed to any contract with the Habs, whether ELC or AHL when he was loaned to Europe. Davidson this year is already under an AHL contract.

In order for him to be loaned to Europe, he'd have to either be signed to an ELC and loaned there. Or they'd have to break the AHL deal in order for him to sign with a European team. And I don't think the Canadiens have any interest in either signing him to an ELC or to break the AHL deal for him to go overseas. Because the reason they signed him to an AHL deal is because they have his rights for another year and they he's going down the same path as RHP and Simoneau.
OK, got it. Thanks for clarification.
Then we have few options if we want to avoid sending prospects to TR.
- Trade some AHLers (Condotta, Stephens, Gignac) to release some top 9 spots
- Send some prospects with ELC to Europe (Mešár, Kidney, Myšák) or send Mešár to OHL
- Keep wide AHL roster, rotate players and wait for injuries to come

Mešár is not ready to come back to OHL. Habs told him last year that they want him to spend one year there. He did not like it there and did not progress well over that year (mainly due to Kitchener mess). He was unhappy with the decision last year and would be really pissed if they do it again. I am not saying that is correct approach, but that is the way it is, so I do not really consider that option.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

This reluctance may be starting to wane.à

For me, Davidson is a legit prospect. I think his game translates to the pros.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
As I said, how I see it is that he plays top6 in the ECHL, then get called up when there's a spot (due to injury/trade) in the AHL top9. I expect both him and Kidney to end the year in the AHL top 9.
ECHL is an insult after the camp he is having.

Reactions: Sagikev

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
ECHL is an insult after the camp he is having.

Getting first line minutes (at C) and PP for a couple weeks (until we get our first injury in the AHL/NHL) in the ECHL isn't worse than getting 4th line minutes probably on the wings in the AHL.

If Houle trust him more than Heineman, Farrell, Maillet, Andersson, Roy, Mesar, Gignac, Simoneau, Condotta or Stephens and give him top9 minutes, sure.

Reactions: MadMslm

Jul 6, 2016

Maybe Mesar should be sent to a European based team, like in the Swiss league, for example.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe Mesar should be sent to a European based team, like in the Swiss league, for example.

Definitely an option. But I'd rather he stay in North America for the rink size and the more busy schedule.

If I had the choice, I'd rather he be sent to the OHL than in Europe. But I wouldn't be against that either.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Definitely an option. But I'd rather he stay in North America for the rink size and the more busy schedule.

If I had the choice, I'd rather he be sent to the OHL than in Europe. But I wouldn't be against that either.
Europe would be a much better option for him. OHL is just junior league, pro league experience is always better.

Reactions: Sagikev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad