Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is there a set date for the start of the "Laval" camp vs the main camp?

It's like a week later I think. Maybe 10 days. Seems to start just as the first round of cuts happen

They play a pre-season game on October 5th, so I'd say Laval training camp will start a few days before.

Also to add, although it is not an official Laval Rocket camp, there is the third group in the Canadiens camp that is comprised of mostly Laval players (most of them under AHL deals). Most of the prospects who will eventually be sent to Laval will be among the two main groups with the Habs, but JF Houle and his staff will already be working with the AHL guys before Laval's official camp begins.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Also to add, although it is not an official Laval Rocket camp, there is the third group in the Canadiens camp that is comprised of mostly Laval players (most of them under AHL deals). Most of the prospects who will eventually be sent to Laval will be among the two main groups with the Habs, but JF Houle and his staff will already be working with the AHL guys before Laval's official camp begins.
This is what I was asking about. The tier of player who aren't really ready to play with the NHL guys.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
1695309570920.png

Potential Laval roster. I put those players into 4 different categories.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I can see JPJ being moved to right wing permanently (if there's not an injury to the d mid game) as that would leave 7 worthy of the AHL, though Tourigny might get sent to the ECHL to be the number 1 dman there.
Tourigny is a question mark. He was arguably the best D in Slovak league last year which is quality of ECHL. He needs to play better league if he wants to develop.
Left defense and centers are stacked. I guess one of career AHL centers will be traded.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Tourigny is a question mark. He was arguably the best D in Slovak league last year which is quality of ECHL. He needs to play better league if he wants to develop.
Left defense and centers are stacked. I guess one of career AHL centers will be traded.

Gignac, Condotta and Simoneau play wings often.

My guess is Maillet, Andersson, Stephens and Mysak at C. Davidson, Smilanic and Kidney could start in the ECHL.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Gignac, Condotta and Simoneau play wings often.

My guess is Maillet, Andersson, Stephens and Mysak at C. Davidson, Smilanic and Kidney could start in the ECHL.
Correct, but I don't want to see Mysak at 4C, Mesar as 4RW or Kidney in ECHL. I seriously think they should head to Europe for better development. Just look at Tourigny how much it helped him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Correct, but I don't want to see Mysak at 4C, Mesar as 4RW or Kidney in ECHL. I seriously think they should head to Europe for better development. Just look at Tourigny how much it helped him.

Injuries will happen at both the NHL and AHL level. If you trade guys away and injuries hit, you're in trouble and end up with a team full of bad PTOs (happenned often before). If Kidney, Davidson, Novak or Tourigny blow the ECHL away, then you can consider some trade to make space (likely 2 lesser vets for a better vet kind of deal).

Heineman - Maillet - Roy
Farrell - Andersson - Condotta
Simoneau - Stephens - Mesar
Bourque - Mysak - Legare
Gignac, McKay
ECHL: Davidson, Kidney, Novak, Yaremko, Voyer, Parker-Jones

Beaudin - Keeper
Trudeau - Mailloux
Struble - Norlinder
Bisson, Galipeau
ECHL: Laaouan, Ortiz, Tourigny

Dobes
Primeau
ECHL: Mann, Emond

Reactions: Egresch

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Injuries will happen at both the NHL and AHL level. If you trade guys away and injuries hit, you're in trouble and end up with a team full of bad PTOs (happenned often before). If Kidney, Davidson, Novak or Tourigny blow the ECHL away, then you can consider some trade to make space (likely 2 lesser vets for a better vet kind of deal).

Heineman - Maillet - Roy
Farrell - Andersson - Condotta
Simoneau - Stephens - Mesar
Bourque - Mysak - Legare
Gignac, McKay
ECHL: Davidson, Kidney, Novak, Yaremko, Voyer, Parker-Jones

Beaudin - Keeper
Trudeau - Mailloux
Struble - Norlinder
Bisson, Galipeau
ECHL: Laaouan, Ortiz, Tourigny

Dobes
Primeau
ECHL: Mann, Emond
Wideman and Lindstrom are likely waived and could well end up in Laval, barring a trade

Whereas Abandannato went the AHL 2-way route and got a permanent gig now with the Wolves

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Wideman and Lindstrom are likely waived and could well end up in Laval, barring a trade

Whereas Abandannato went the AHL 2-way route and got a permanent gig now with the Wolves

Wideman is out indefinitely.

I think Lindstrom will be our #7-8.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And they will
Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic, Lindstrom
What purpose does Lindstrom serve? Less than Allen or Primeau might potentially serve, either on ice, off ice or future value-wise.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We are not keeping 3 goalies up. Primeau will go through waivers.
My premise is that Primeau has a great camp and merits staying in the NHL. Obviously I see no problem waiving him if the team is giving up on him.

But why would we waive him if he does well and merits his place? In order to hold onto Lindstrom?? Why?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My premise is that Primeau has a great camp and merits staying in the NHL. Obviously I see no problem waiving him if the team is giving up on him.

But why would we waive him if he does well and merits his place? In order to hold onto Lindstrom?? Why?

Because keeping 3 goalies up never worked. There is no reason to give games to Primeau over Montembeault/Allen as they are both better than him.

Also weird to argue about a premise that is extremely unlikely to begin with. Primeau will be waived and will clear waivers. He will fight with Dobes for the starter spot in Laval. I would be surprised at any other scenario.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He will have the same status as Wideman unless he proves us wrong. He stays with first team, but will not stay in way of any youngsters.
Why do we need two of those to cover 6D, but only 1 spare forward to cover 12F?

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I think DET wanted to add him to the trade, so Hughes took him. We can see some long-term injury early in the league and he will forward him and get additional asset. Or he can surprise us and we flip Kovacevic.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Just subscribed for the 5th straight year so I can follow this Laval team. I only subscribed for Laval home and away games, 64.99 for the entire season.

Can you access past games (even if it’s only recent ones) with this subscription or you have to watch them live ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad