Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
If Lindstrom beats out Barron for the 7th spot, Barron can be sent down without risk of losing him to waivers. Better he plays in Laval than sits up here. Same technically with Harris and Xhekaj but I think they are less likely to fall behind Lindstrom.

I think Barron will start in the NHL. I’m not his biggest fan, but he did produce at a good pace and he’s good on breakouts even though his defensive play is not good under sustained pressure.

He wasn’t happy starting the AHL last year and he’ll certainly take a hit confidence wise if he’s sent down again.

We’ll have more info in the next two weeks with preseason starting soon. I’m all in for Primeau to get a chance and show what he can do but I definitely believe his confidence level is pretty low. He was great in his first two games in the NHL but coming into camp he knows Allen and Montembeault will be hard to displace.

He also seems pretty entitled to play in the big league, that added pressure might work against him.

Reactions: Nevins

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think Barron will start in the NHL. I’m not his biggest fan, but he did produce at a good pace and he’s good on breakouts even though his defensive play is not good under sustained pressure.
The Habs might want to look at it this way:

Vets with guaranteed spot:
Matheson. Savard

Cheap big-body #6 with limited upside two years under control, but plays his role:
Kovacevic

Serviceable #7 (assuming they think he is):
Lindstrom

Waiver-exempt youngsters fighting for spots 3-4-5, the balance assigned to Laval or Europe:
Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron, Mailloux, Struble, Trudeau, Reinbacher, Norlinder, Tourigny

Wideman can be on IR, or #8 or waived - don't really care

Keeper and Beaudin waived

The point is that none of the waiver-exempt youngsters shouoldl be outside the top 6, sitting in the press box. Whether the odd man out is Barron or someone else (Barron is the weakest defensively), it may make sense for one of the guys who finished the season in Montreal with all the injuries to go down and play 24 minutes.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He's missing Gignac, Voyer, Bisson, Tourigny, Beaudin, Galipeau and Yaremko.

Andersson, Maillet, Stephens, Condotta, Bourque, Farrel, Heineman, Simoneau, Gignac, Mysak and Légaré are locks IMO. That's 11 forwards. Roy is basically a lock as well.

That means you have 2 or so spare spots for Voyer, Yaremko, Kidney, McKay, Novak, Parker-Jones and Davidson. I think they will keep McKay for toughness. I think they may keep Parker-Jones as well because big.

That would mean Voyer, Yaremko, Kidney, Novak and Davidson in the ECHL. Smilanic as well if he ends up signing.

Keeper, Trudeau, Norlinder, Struble, Beaudin, Mailloux and Bisson are locks.

I see Galipeau as the front-runner for 8th D.

Laaouan, Tourigny and Ortiz in the ECHL.
I would think Davidson and Kidney are too good for the ECHL. You also didn't mention Mesar who may make the team.

I think a bunch of older players will get sent down, players are not necessarily locks because of past experience. I could be completely wrong though, we've never had this much depth before.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I would think Davidson and Kidney are too good for the ECHL. You also didn't mention Mesar who may make the team.

I think a bunch of older players will get sent down, players are not necessarily locks because of past experience. I could be completely wrong though, we've never had this much depth before.
Drop JPJ, put Mesar in the top 9 RW. Gignac or Bourque get stuck in the pressbox.

I don't think Kidney and Davidson would get top 9 minutes on that squad until injuries/trade unless they are voluntarily icing a lesser team. I expect them (and Tourigny) to get games in the AHL this year though.

Reactions: Guess

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That means you have 2 or so spare spots for Voyer, Yaremko, Kidney, McKay, Novak, Parker-Jones and Davidson. I think they will keep McKay for toughness. I think they may keep Parker-Jones as well because big.

That would mean Voyer, Yaremko, Kidney, Novak and Davidson in the ECHL.
That's quite a demotion for Davidson from playing with Suzuki and Caufield to Nicolas Lariviere and Connor Chaulk.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's quite a demotion for Davidson from playing wiuth Suzuki and Caufield to Nicolas Lariviere and Connor Chaulk.

In a meaningless intra-team scrimmage.

Probably plays with two of Voyer, Novak, Kidney, Guay, Beauregard, Boucher or Montminy.

Depends on if they want both Davidson and Kidney on the first line or both at C.

Novak - Davidson - Beauregard
Boucher - Kidney - Voyer
Montminy - Yaremko - Guay
Ducharme - Parker-Jones

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
In a meaningless intra-team scrimmage.

Probably plays with two of Voyer, Novak, Kidney, Guay, Beauregard, Boucher or Montminy.

Depends on if they want both Davidson and Kidney on the first line or both at C.

Novak - Davidson - Beauregard
Boucher - Kidney - Voyer
Montminy - Yaremko - Guay
Ducharme - Parker-Jones
Yeah, I was joking.

That being said I thihk he might be good enough to play regularly in Laval.. I like his game.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, I was joking.

That being said I thihk he might be good enough to play regularly in Laval.. I like his game.

I like his game too and believe he can be an NHLer.

If Heineman, Farrell, Maillet, Andersson, Mesar, Roy, Condotta, Simoneau and Stephens are in Laval, how does he realistically make the top 9?

Then it's a fight between him, Kidney, Mysak, Bourque, Voyer, Yaremko, Gignac, Legare, McKay, Novak and Parker-Jones for the 4th line plus spares (and you have to factor we need at least one rough guy in the roster). At that point, I think top6 ECHL would be better for him (and Kidney) so he actually gets TOI, PP, PK. Also, when injuries/trades happen, he's probably one of the first I would call up and probably play him in the top 9.

My vision would have him (and Kidney) end the year in the AHL, ready for bigger roles in 2024-2025.

People have to remember that NHL injuries also affect the AHL so you often end up with 4+ guys missing from your AHL line-up either from AHL injuries or call-ups. Add to that we are likely still selling this year and space will be made eventually. It would be nice if Laval had depth throughout the year instead of having to turn to subpar PTOs like pretty much every year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I like his game too and believe he can be an NHLer.

If Heineman, Farrell, Maillet, Andersson, Mesar, Roy, Condotta, Simoneau and Stephens are in Laval, how does he realistically make the top 9?

Then it's a fight between him, Kidney, Mysak, Bourque, Voyer, Yaremko, Gignac, Legare, McKay, Novak and Parker-Jones for the 4th line plus spares (and you have to factor we need at least one rough guy in the roster). At that point, I think top6 ECHL would be better for him (and Kidney) so he actually gets TOI, PP, PK. Also, when injuries/trades happen, he's probably one of the first I would call up and probably play him in the top 9.

My vision would have him (and Kidney) end the year in the AHL, ready for bigger roles in 2024-2025.

People have to remember that NHL injuries also affect the AHL so you often end up with 4+ guys missing from your AHL line-up either from AHL injuries or call-ups. Add to that we are likely still selling this year and space will be made eventually. It would be nice if Laval had depth throughout the year instead of having to turn to subpar PTOs like pretty much every year.
Davidson can play anywhere including the 9th -12th F. I also do not think Mesar is ready for Laval.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Davidson can oplay anywhere ikncluding the 9th -12th F. I also do not think Mesar is ready for Laval.

I'm aware he could play on the AHL 4th line. I'm saying I think it's better for him to get prime minutes in the ECHL than AHL 4th line/spare forward.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He wont stay 4th liner for long

As I said, how I see it is that he plays top6 in the ECHL, then get called up when there's a spot (due to injury/trade) in the AHL top9. I expect both him and Kidney to end the year in the AHL top 9.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Are there any ticket discounts before the season starts? I'm going to get the Laval regular season package and wondering whether I should wait.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Are there any ticket discounts before the season starts? I'm going to get the Laval regular season package and wondering whether I should wait.

I believe some of the promotions already ended.

They usually have some around black Friday and boxing day.

• Wow
Reactions: Guess

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As I said, how I see it is that he plays top6 in the ECHL, then get called up when there's a spot (due to injury/trade) in the AHL top9. I expect both him and Kidney to end the year in the AHL top 9.
Why would he not make the Rocket off the bat?

I'm aware he could play on the AHL 4th line. I'm saying I think it's better for him to get prime minutes in the ECHL than AHL 4th line/spare forward.
9th F is third line maybe.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why would he not make the Rocket off the bat?

9th F is third line maybe.

Because there are better players available?

I know 9th Fwd is third line. What I'm saying is that we have better for the first 3 lines to start the year, but might not by year end (both by player leaving/getting injured and him getting better).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I know 9th Fwd is third line. What I'm saying is that we have better for the first 3 lines to start the year, but might not by year end (both by player leaving/getting injured and him getting better).

Probably not an issue.

Laval is twice as affected by injuries as the Habs are -- a spot opens up if either the Habs or the Rocket have an injury.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Fine, I don't agree there are 9 better at this moment (Mesar? Condotta?), but I respect your opinion on that.

After reflection, I also don't think that should he be 10th or 11th, he is better off starting in TR. That is a WEAK league. I don't see any real holes in Davidson's game that require seasoning at a lower level. Someone has to play 4th line for Laval, and Davidson has the size and grit and maturity to do so, while having the clear upside to not stay there long. Coaches will get him his minutes, even if technically on the 4th line.

I think we both agree he is not 12th in Laval right now.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I can't wait to watch them, so many young players this year, it must be of the youngest team in the AHL.

Heineman-Anderson-Roy
Farrell-Maillet-Mesar
Davidson-Gignac-Bourque
Condotta-Mitchell-Simoneau

Mysak-McKay-Kidney-Parker-Johns

We have too many forwards no???

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I can't wait to watch them, so many young players this year, it must be of the youngest team in the AHL.

Heineman-Anderson-Roy
Farrell-Maillet-Mesar
Davidson-Gignac-Bourque
Condotta-Mitchell-Simoneau

Mysak-McKay-Kidney-Parker-Johns

We have too many forwards no???
One thing that folks need to appreciate is the AHL coaching staff. I don't think Houle gets enough credit for the work his team does. Every player they call up seems ready to play.
Houle said priority one is development but the paying customers also want to see a winning team.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
One thing that folks need to appreciate is the AHL coaching staff. I don't think Houle gets enough credit for the work his team does. Every player they call up seems ready to play.
Houle said priority one is development but the paying customers also want to see a winning team.

Yup. I think JF Houle gets a bad rap for no real reason. Because as you say, the guys who get called up from Laval have a seamless transition when called up to Montreal. And it wasn't just the prospects like RHP or Ylonen or Barron, but also vets like Belzile and Richard.

And it's also not like he doesn't play the prospects in favorable positions either. RHP and Ylonen at forward were always in his Top-6 and getting PP and PK time. Same with Trudeau, who went from scratch to third pair to becoming top pair and PP1 D. When Struble came on board, he eased him in, and then he started being on the PP and PK, as well.

The mandate is obviously coming from the top, but JF Houle is playing his part in the success of prospects. And this year, we will get to see that in more detail because of the big influx of prospects coming in this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad