Injury Report: 2023-24 Injury thread (McGinn out 4 months after back surgery)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
“You can't replicate 1-on-1
battles, intensity you get in a training camp
practice with (only) some training. Players
might be trying their hardest to get into shape
and match what we're doing on the ice, but
they can't. You can't do it. And I think a lot of
the stuff that we were doing is a little bit
different than what they've done in the past.
You can go back to the symbolic no stick, 1-
on-1 battles. They don't do it and it triggers
certain parts of your body that maybe you
weren't using in your summer training and
things break down.”

So no, that’s not really what he was saying at all.

He’s not saying he didn’t work hard, he’s saying it’s hard to replicate the work outs and more days it stems from missing camp.
I never said he didn’t work hard. I said he wasn’t in game shape because he missed camp, and got a core body injury because of it. I am now saying that he ALSO will not be in game shape, and should not be rushed back, because he will be risking another injury. You basically just paraphrased what I said. I said “appropriately “, not “not hard enough”. Appropriately means your workout was enough to where you were fit to play NHL games. He was not, thus he did not work out appropriately.

I am not saying he should be shut down for the year. I am saying it is an unreasonable expectation for a player who’s been able to work out for 6+ weeks to be in game shape in less than a week after first stepping back on the ice in gear.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I never said he didn’t work hard. I said he wasn’t in game shape because he missed camp, and got a core body injury because of it. I am now saying that he ALSO will not be in game shape, and should not be rushed back, because he will be risking another injury. You basically just paraphrased what I said. I said “appropriately “, not “not hard enough”. Appropriately means your workout was enough to where you were fit to play NHL games. He was not, thus he did not work out appropriately.

I am not saying he should be shut down for the year. I am saying it is an unreasonable expectation for a player who’s been able to work out for 6+ weeks to be in game shape in less than a week after first stepping back on the ice in gear.
Good point. Went back and read your previous post again and the word “appropriately” definitely changes the context.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If i were carlsson i would probably stall my comeback 15 games or so... Next year should be better for him and Ducks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If i were carlsson i would probably stall my comeback 15 games or so... Next year should be better for him and Ducks.

Since Carlsson is dealing with a concussion, then he really can't rush things until he's 100% in that area. I think the org would stall to make sure the symptoms are completely gone in case of it recurring after a day or two of being symptom free. Don't know about stalling 15 days, though.

Reactions: Kalv and ZEBROA

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Cant have the whole crew together , not this year. Someone w also be down when cutter comes up for his cup of coffee

If BC gpes all the way to the frozen four finals, Gauthier will only be able to play the last game. Hopefully, no one goes out if that happens.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Maybe a bone bruise? They would immobilize his knee if there was indication of major injury after manual testing.

Feels like a bullet dodged.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Leo will return the last game of the season, giving us one game of him, Zegras, Terry, McTavish, and Cutter and it will be amazing and then we'll have to wait 5 more months.
Yes. They will all be in the lineup and they will outshoot Vegas 43-21, win 5-2, and give us all good vibes to dwell on all offseason.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So Leo now has had 2 knee injuries and a concussion. He load managed himself this year. PV didn’t need to come up with some stupid game management plan after all.

Hopefully this isn’t how Leo’s career will go…..injury after injury cause that would destroy the Ducks. I know he’s young so hopefully he’ll pass this phase.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Did I hear that right that Carlsson and Zegras have only been in the lineup for a total of 2 games together?

Reactions: Kalv

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
So Leo now has had 2 knee injuries and a concussion. He load managed himself this year. PV didn’t need to come up with some stupid game management plan after all.

Hopefully this isn’t how Leo’s career will go…..injury after injury cause that would destroy the Ducks. I know he’s young so hopefully he’ll pass this phase.
Don’t forget that injury he had pre-season that kept him out the first 2 games. Really hope he’s not as injury prone as this season would suggest.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Don’t forget that injury he had pre-season that kept him out the first 2 games. Really hope he’s not as injury prone as this season would suggest.
Yeah, not really the best start to his career health wise.

Luckily when you're 19 these things are easier to bounce back from, and outside of the concussion probably won't have any major long-term effects. Hopefully it's just a result of him growing into his lanky frame while still getting used to the speed of the NHL.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Did I hear that right that Carlsson and Zegras have only been in the lineup for a total of 2 games together?

I think I heard it was around 10. It was definitely more than 2 though.

Either way, it sucks that we've really not even gotten much of a taste of what our team COULD be like. Individually a lot of guys have looked good when they've been healthy. so I guess there's that.

The only good thing is, we probably will be picking higher than the team's true ability merits.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

They played 8 games together. 11/7 was the last game they played together, then Z missed time with a likely core injury which was likely from missing camp. Z came back but not before Leo suffered a knee injury. Leo comes back but not before Z breaks his ankle, Leo is concussed, came back but still no Z. Now Z is very close to return only for Leo to get hurt again. Please shoot me. Lol

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Our training staff trains our players bodies so that they hang by a thread. They're working especially more with our young players

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
1000011414.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln