Injury Report: 2023-24 Injury thread (McGinn out 4 months after back surgery)

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Goaltender John Gibson returned to practice after missing Sunday's game against the Canucks due to illness, but Troy Terry was not on the ice. (UPDATE: Terry had a maintenance day today). He had a brief stint in the locker room during Sunday's game but returned and finished the contest.

There is no update on Leo Carlsson (upper-body) for the time being, but the Ducks may have potentially dodged a bullet regarding Mason McTavish's lower-body injury.

The 21-year-old suffered the injury on Friday against the New Jersey Devils and was spotted leaving the arena on Sunday on crutches. A walking boot encased his right foot, but he does not have any broken bones, per the Ducks.

Trevor Zegras (broken ankle) has resumed skating in full gear, as has Brock McGinn (lower-body). Zegras is approaching the initial eight-week timeline that was set for his recovery while McGinn has been out with an undisclosed lower-body injury since Feb. 17.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I don't know a lot about sports medicine so how could this guy leaving result in more injuries? Like thinking about Zegras's injury where his skate hit the boards and his ankle buckled, how would someone prevent that?

I'm asking out of curiosity, not saying you're wrong.
I would say it depends on the injury. Getting a puck in the face is bad luck, but some of the mysterious lower body injuries (such as Zegras and Drysdale early in the season) are a different matter. I know there are ways to make groin injuries less likely, and some conditioning coaches are probably better at it than others.

Unfortunately I can't recall any of the details, but I remember reading (years and years ago) about a player (I wish I remembered who it was) who came to the Ducks organization from another team. He had some nagging LBI (didn't prevent him from playing but was affecting him nevertheless), and the strength/conditioning staff at his previous team had said that there's nothing that could be done, he would just have to live with it. Then Sean Skahan took a look at it and said that he knew how to help. Long story short, in the end the ailment was completely healed. And that is what the story was about, the player praising Skahan and saying how much better he was in comparison to many of his peers.

I'm sorry to be this vague, that's what I remember and how I remember it. The only thing I'm sure of is that Sean Skahan was able to help where others couldn't. There may be similar stories of other strength/conditioning coaches, but this + the injuries going way up after Skahan left have me thinking that the skill level of the conditioning staff matters a lot.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I would say it depends on the injury. Getting a puck in the face is bad luck, but some of the mysterious lower body injuries (such as Zegras and Drysdale early in the season) are a different matter. I know there are ways to make groin injuries less likely, and some conditioning coaches are probably better at it than others.

Unfortunately I can't recall any of the details, but I remember reading (years and years ago) about a player (I wish I remembered who it was) who came to the Ducks organization from another team. He had some nagging LBI (didn't prevent him from playing but was affecting him nevertheless), and the strength/conditioning staff at his previous team had said that there's nothing that could be done, he would just have to live with it. Then Sean Skahan took a look at it and said that he knew how to help. Long story short, in the end the ailment was completely healed. And that is what the story was about, the player praising Skahan and saying how much better he was in comparison to many of his peers.

I'm sorry to be this vague, that's what I remember and how I remember it. The only thing I'm sure of is that Sean Skahan was able to help where others couldn't. There may be similar stories of other strength/conditioning coaches, but this + the injuries going way up after Skahan left have me thinking that the skill level of the conditioning staff matters a lot.
So we basically let Jesus leave. Great!

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I don't buy the strength and conditioning angle. No amount of training is going to prevent a bone from breaking, separated shoulders and torn labrums are both really difficult to prevent, Leo's leg was bent at an insane angle, etc. McTavish's injuries are the only ones that might really be preventable but since we don't know what they are there's now way of telling.

My "theory" is simply that injuries beget injuries. Having guys out of the line-up means important players have to play more and are more likely to get injured. Also, muscle/tendon strength is something that is built up over years, not months. Most of these players haven't been working with the training staff enough to really pin it on them.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sure, some injuries (broken bones and twisted joints from awkward contact with players and the boards) are just bad luck. But, IMO, being in top physical condition gives you your best chance not to strain, pull, or otherwise aggravate soft tissue body parts. (The dreaded LBI/UBI day to day, week to week stuff). I think some injuries are absolutely preventable by being in better shape. That doesn't mean we can blame all injuries on training, strength, and conditioning, but I have to believe it is a part of the explanation for the problem.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Sure, some injuries (broken bones and twisted joints from awkward contact with players and the boards) are just bad luck. But, IMO, being in top physical condition gives you your best chance not to strain, pull, or otherwise aggravate soft tissue body parts. (The dreaded LBI/UBI day to day, week to week stuff). I think some injuries are absolutely preventable by being in better shape. That doesn't mean we can blame all injuries on training, strength, and conditioning, but I have to believe it is a part of the explanation for the problem.
I would wager those nagging injuries happen just as frequently to every other team, we just don't hear about them.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I would wager those nagging injuries happen just as frequently to every other team, we just don't hear about them.
My opinion doesn't change. The less in shape you are the easier it is to get injured. It doesn't matter what happens elsewhere. If we aren't doing it right here, we are causing ourselves problems. And I'm willing to believe that could be part of our problem. We constantly have guys with mysterious UBI and LBI issues causing them to miss various amounts of games.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
My opinion doesn't change. The less in shape you are the easier it is to get injured. It doesn't matter what happens elsewhere. If we aren't doing it right here, we are causing ourselves problems. And I'm willing to believe that could be part of our problem. We constantly have guys with mysterious UBI and LBI issues causing them to miss various amounts of games.
Except in the point I'm making, it does matter. My point is that the Ducks aren't some outlier and changing the C&S staff won't make a significant difference because those nagging injuries are part of playing 82 games a year.

It seems silly to think that 31 teams in the league have competent C&S staff and not us. It's also silly to suggest this didn't happen as much Skahan was here, as if anyone here would remember when players missed a couple of games back in 2012.

It's more likely that we play in our own zone more than 95% of the league and therefore our players are more run down than others. 3-4 months of training in the offseason is not going to counteract that.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Except in the point I'm making, it does matter. My point is that the Ducks aren't some outlier and changing the C&S staff won't make a significant difference because those nagging injuries are part of playing 82 games a year.

It seems silly to think that 31 teams in the league have competent C&S staff and not us. It's also silly to suggest this didn't happen as much Skahan was here, as if anyone here would remember when players missed a couple of games back in 2012.

It's more likely that we play in our own zone more than 95% of the league and therefore our players are more run down than others. 3-4 months of training in the offseason is not going to counteract that.
First of all, nagging injuries are things you play through. We're not talking about those, we're talking about real injuries that constantly take guys out of the lineup for periods at a time.

I never said we are an outlier. My point applies to anybody participating in athletics. And just because other teams might have players with similar issues doesn't mean we shouldn't consider improving our approach. It isn't about ranking ourselves to other teams. It's about how can we keep our players healthy and performing at their peak all season long. To say that because other teams suffer similar injuries is proof we can't be better is folly.

Silly would be thinking that playing more time in the defensive zone (totally unproven) somehow causes injuries. Players should be tired from playing in either zone. You shouldn't be working harder at one end vs the other.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I seem to remember that Skahan left because the org was being cheap and wouldn't buy some S&C equipment that Skahan wanted?
I remember hearing this too. It sounds strange, though, because it would be so dumb to not just buy the equipment your head S&C coach says you need. It's not like it's going to break the budget of an NHL team.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
First of all, nagging injuries are things you play through. We're not talking about those, we're talking about real injuries that constantly take guys out of the lineup for periods at a time.

I never said we are an outlier. My point applies to anybody participating in athletics. And just because other teams might have players with similar issues doesn't mean we shouldn't consider improving our approach. It isn't about ranking ourselves to other teams. It's about how can we keep our players healthy and performing at their peak all season long. To say that because other teams suffer similar injuries is proof we can't be better is folly.

Silly would be thinking that playing more time in the defensive zone (totally unproven) somehow causes injuries. Players should be tired from playing in either zone. You shouldn't be working harder at one end vs the other.
Ask yourself how many times you see a player bent over sucking air in the offensive zone and you’ll see this is clearly not true.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be trying to improve our staff. I’m saying I doubt how significant of an impact any improvement would make.

But this is all just hypothetical so I’ll leave it at that

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
I don't buy the strength and conditioning angle. No amount of training is going to prevent a bone from breaking, separated shoulders and torn labrums are both really difficult to prevent, Leo's leg was bent at an insane angle, etc. McTavish's injuries are the only ones that might really be preventable but since we don't know what they are there's now way of telling.

My "theory" is simply that injuries beget injuries. Having guys out of the line-up means important players have to play more and are more likely to get injured. Also, muscle/tendon strength is something that is built up over years, not months. Most of these players haven't been working with the training staff enough to really pin it on them.
Not saying you are right or wrong , but some NFL teams teams have had players do regular team yoga, which led to many more injuries due to a relative decrease in player joint stability.

Pro athletes need to do sport specific training and their training regime can absolutely have an effect on a season of injuries.

Not saying this is what is going on Anaheim

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
There's just enough time left in the season for them to come back and get injured again.
deadpool-real-pain.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad