Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
One counterpoint about the PK that I see is that when Forbort was out for a stretch last year the PK actually did better statistically. I know sample sizes and all but still.

He does a good job getting hit by shots on the PK. Valuable for sure but if he’s getting caved in 5 on 5(eye test this year says he’s playing better so far compared to his past couple seasons) eventually that offsets what he’s doing on the PK.

I think the PK w\o Forbort had split decisions. The 1st time last year it took a hit
in a small sample size. The second sample size it was a bit better than with him
but I believe they had Orlov on PK and maybe Lindholm also. I wonder if Lindholm
hurt his foot on the PK?

HallOfFamer

Dec 8, 2008
Some people are so data and analytic driven in sports they forget to use common sense.

Forbort is the top PKer on the top PK unit in the league. Going up against opposing teams best scoring lines while down a man. Highest leverage situation there is.

But they will sit here and say his minutes are “sheltered” because when they are even strength his quality of competition reflects that of a 3rd pairing D. While completely disregarding that quality of competition he faces 4 minutes a night while down a player on the penalty kill.
Forbert's role on the PK is different though than it is 5 on 5. PKers need to block shots and ice the puck, an area where Forbert is good. 5 on 5 you can't ice it obviously so it's important to transition the puck out of the zone. That is where Forbert is weak. He can be very good on the PK and still need to be sheltered 5 on 5.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just to wrap up my thoughts on Zadorov:

Here is a baseline for the team next summer:

DeBrusk back at 5.5 is probably optimistic. Gave Swayman the Rask contract. Trade Ullmark.

Leaves Boston with 15 million and needing a 1C and a 5,6 and 7D.

If you give Zadorov 4 or 5 million of that, you are shit out of luck on having the funds for a #1C unless you also decide to let DeBrusk go and replace him with an ELC or vet minimum guy.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

DeBrusk back at 5.5 is probably optimistic. Gave Swayman the Rask contract. Trade Ullmark.

If you give Zadorov 4 or 5 million of that, you are shit out of luck on having the funds for a #1C unless you also decide to let DeBrusk go and replace him with an ELC or vet minimum guy.

I am not convinced there is a #1 C coming in the offseason, but anything is possible. I guess it depends on how Zacha holds up this year. And even where they see Poitras as the year goes on.

But I agree with you on Zadarov. It also is the same reason I am not resigning Gryz in the offseason, because I don't expect his price to drop, and I don't want him playing 15 min a night on the bottom pairing with no PP or PK, and suddenly making over 4 million for 5-8 years. Especially where the staff is not sold on him as a postseason player

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Please inform me how playing nearly 4 minutes a game on the penalty kill. Most per game among any bruins player is “sheltered minutes”

Please I would love to hear the mental gymnastics that you’re about to go through to try and come up with something half way decent to tell me I’m wrong.
nah i'm good. you've never let anyone change your opinion about anything on here and clearly have your mind made up so why would I waste my time engaging in a bad-faith argument with you?

Babajingo

I am not convinced there is a #1 C coming in the offseason, but anything is possible. I guess it depends on how Zacha holds up this year. And even where they see Poitras as the year goes on.

But I agree with you on Zadarov. It also is the same reason I am not resigning Gryz in the offseason, because I don't expect his price to drop, and I don't want him playing 15 min a night on the bottom pairing with no PP or PK, and suddenly making over 4 million for 5-8 years. Especially where the staff is not sold on him as a postseason player
I'll be waiting at Logan with some flowers for Pettersson until I see the video of him signing somewhere else :) ( I know, he's an RFA but one can dream)

Doesn't look like there is much in the way of a 1/2 Line center UFA next year.
1699975283850.png

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'll be waiting at Logan with some flowers for Pettersson until I see the video of him signing somewhere else :) ( I know, he's an RFA but one can dream)

View attachment 768060
Did Chandler Stephenson resign with Vegas? Thought he was a UFA

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

If Debrusk scores 14ish goals and 37ish pts, it's gonna be an interesting negotiation

Reactions: wintersej

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I would love, next offseason when they have to re-build the bottom pair, to get an asshole D like Brenden Dillon who, at 33, won't require a large investment.
He’s probably the only realistic Forbort replacement for next year that can do a lot of the same things except tougher

Edmundson is also interesting but he’s always hurt

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Odds are there isn't. You really don't find 1Cs in free agency, Tavares is the one outlier in recent memory, at least that I can think of. Besides that you either draft one and ride them til the wheels fall off, or you trade for one like the Knights did with Eichel, or the Blues with O'Reilly. Maybe a trade materializes at some point, but I think the most likely outcome is to use the space we have to bolster the top 6 wingers around Poitras and Zacha. Reinhart is my personal pick to go after, great goalscorer and very good defensively. Perfect guy to put next to a young playmaking C like Poitras in theory.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Debrusk scores 14ish goals and 37ish pts, it's gonna be an interesting negotiation

If he has a season like that, I think its his last season here.

View attachment 768060

Elias Lindholm missing too. Filters must have gone crazy.

edit: I think Vancouver's good start kind of kills the idea of Pettersson leaving. If they started like the Oilers, it would be different. But that roster is coming together. It obviously needs a whole new second pairing, but they have a lot in place. Vancouver is a cool town. Don't see him becoming available.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
nah i'm good. you've never let anyone change your opinion about anything on here and clearly have your mind made up so why would I waste my time engaging in a bad-faith argument with you?

You felt the need to post about me to someone else so I wanted to give you your shot to explain yourself directly to me.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Odds are there isn't. You really don't find 1Cs in free agency, Tavares is the one outlier in recent memory, at least that I can think of. Besides that you either draft one and ride them til the wheels fall off, or you trade for one like the Knights did with Eichel, or the Blues with O'Reilly. Maybe a trade materializes at some point, but I think the most likely outcome is to use the space we have to bolster the top 6 wingers around Poitras and Zacha. Reinhart is my personal pick to go after, great goalscorer and very good defensively. Perfect guy to put next to a young playmaking C like Poitras in theory.
Once upon a time in a galaxy far away. We signed Marc Savard as a free agent. Some big defenseman too😉

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Better yet, he’s only had one Even Strength minus all year. Shattenkirk has nine.

Shattenkirk is the guy in the lineup i want to be able to drop to #7 and use sporadically in the right matchups. To me the real question is when Gryz comes back, can you get away with a Gryz-Forbort 3rd pairing. Obviously one would have to play on their off side, but in theory they should compliment each other. Gryz excels where Forbort struggles, and visa versa. gryz / Shattenkirk is a terrifying pairing to me.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I have a hard time believing Florida doesn't get a deal done with Rheinhart.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I hope very strongly that you are wrong, but you are probably right....Lindholm is good, but isn't a 1c Heck sometimes he does not look like a 2c. Kuznetsov might or might not be available etc. With free agents re-signing, this route to a number one center is disappearing.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Shattenkirk is the guy in the lineup i want to be able to drop to #7 and use sporadically in the right matchups. To me the real question is when Gryz comes back, can you get away with a Gryz-Forbort 3rd pairing. Obviously one would have to play on their off side, but in theory they should compliment each other. Gryz excels where Forbort struggles, and visa versa. gryz / Shattenkirk is a terrifying pairing to me.

Mitchell is looking better than #12, last two times he played. #12 still handles the puck at NHL level but his legs aren't there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad