Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sam Reinhart is going so good I’m not sure it’s even worth the time to Manifest him to Bruins.

Gotta think Florida locks him up

Tkachuk
Barkov
Reinhardt
Verhaghue

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I honestly say forget anyone over the age of 30. I just don't think guys like Hertl, Monahan, Stamkos or Kadri are really what this team needs. For me its either acquire a superstar age 28 or younger, a young talented underperformer (e.g. Zacha, or, previously Zibanejad/JT Miller) or just ride out with Poitras/Zacha.
I tend to agree with you, I think you have the right approach, but if I am being honest my admiration for Stamkos might cause me to break that agreement, sorry.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Who were those guys? Bertuzzi isn't overly physical, he's a guy who will go to the dirty areas. He also had 10 points in 7 games.

They added Orlov who is decently physical on the back end, but was used in a more offensive role. He had 8 assists in 7 games.

Hathaway was a bit disappointing and didn't get much of a chance to get going due to a rib injury from a crosscheck. He was still physical and hardly a reason they lost that series.
Yes those guys made zero impact...

I lean towards team toughness, mental, physical, and supportive. I don't like breaking up regular season team cohesiveness. The bruins have a bunch of guys who stick up for each other and can play bruising hockey if need be. Don't mess with team chemistry.

Reactions: bob77

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yes those guys made zero impact...

I lean towards team toughness, mental, physical, and supportive. I don't like breaking up regular season team cohesiveness. The bruins have a bunch of guys who stick up for each other and can play bruising hockey if need be. Don't mess with team chemistry.
But we have yet to really see it in years come playoff time. YEARS.

Reactions: sarge88

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Yeah, I like Zadorov but I'm not paying $5M, maybe $3-3.2
There is no world Zadorov gets that though, he's currently making 3.75mil and coming off the best 2 years of his career, and has started this season strong as well. I think the AAV on his next contract starts with a 4, at minimum. I like Zadorov as a player a lot but he's just never made much sense to me as a guy to target, via trade or free agency. If you wanna add size and toughness to the bottom pair there will be cheaper guys to target, either at the deadline or in free agency. If the Wild continue to stink I'm calling them about Jacob Middleton, currently signed through next season at 2.45mil.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There is no world Zadorov gets that though, he's currently making 3.75mil and coming off the best 2 years of his career, and has started this season strong as well. I think the AAV on his next contract starts with a 4, at minimum. I like Zadorov as a player a lot but he's just never made much sense to me as a guy to target, via trade or free agency. If you wanna add size and toughness to the bottom pair there will be cheaper guys to target, either at the deadline or in free agency. If the Wild continue to stink I'm calling them about Jacob Middleton, currently signed through next season at 2.45mil.
I have absolutely no issues with a guy like this, either.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well maybe this is the year...no team is perfect and this team competes hard! I get what you're saying but I like the team as constructed. Plus there's depth.
I'm not sold on this team down the middle, or in the top 9 when it comes to push back and being physical on the forechek.

The defense also needs a guy on the bottom pair that will make you pay going into the corner or in front of the net.

They're built fine from October-April, but I'm not remotely sold on after that.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I honestly say forget anyone over the age of 30. I just don't think guys like Hertl, Monahan, Stamkos or Kadri are really what this team needs. For me its either acquire a superstar age 28 or younger, a young talented underperformer (e.g. Zacha, or, previously Zibanejad/JT Miller) or just ride out with Poitras/Zacha.
Monahan just turned 29 YO was born in 1994.
If you can grab him on a 2-3 year term at 5M I jump at it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sold on this team down the middle, or in the top 9 when it comes to push back and being physical on the forechek.

The defense also needs a guy on the bottom pair that will make you pay going into the corner or in front of the net.

Let’s see how Sweeney feels then

As an insider/expert on both on the Kennedy Assassination and what’s really going on with Bruins you might like Leon Draisaitl if the Bruins are up for it

Edmonton gets Swayman, DeBrusk, Poitras & first for Draisaitl. They want a long term goalie to be like Hellebuyck. None of Bruins can stop going with a NTC and Edmonton won’t be able to afford both McDavid & Draisaitl once they are UFA

I would like to swap in Lysell for Poitras and Ullmark (age and FA in 18 months) for Swayman but I’d also like the FDA to publish ice cream is a health food.

Since Edmonton probably going to lose Leon anyways makes sense - the few friends who heard this would do it but with some consternation and naturally wanted to substitute like me :laugh:

Don’t see Donny doing with Draisaitl a UFA in 18 months - maybe if signed

It’s interesting rumor because you have Bussi, DeBrusk a UFA from Edmonton and Poitras a center replaced by Drais

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Monahan just turned 29 YO was born in 1994.
If you can grab him on a 2-3 year term at 5M I jump at it.
That dude is way too injury prone to give that kind of commitment to. We went through this exact same song and dance with him last season when he got off to a good start. Habs fans thought they'd be getting a first for him, bruins were being linked to him in trade talks, and then he ended up missing most of the season. Not a guy I'd have any faith in making it all the way through a playoff run.

Reactions: Sevendust

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Let’s see how Sweeney feels then

As an insider/expert on both on the Kennedy Assassination and what’s really going on with Bruins you might like Leon Draisaitl if the Bruins are up for it

Edmonton gets Swayman, DeBrusk, Poitras & first for Draisaitl. They want a long term goalie to be like Hellebuyck. None of Bruins can stop going with a NTC and Edmonton won’t be able to afford both McDavid & Draisaitl once they are UFA

I would like to swap in Lysell for Poitras and Ullmark (age and FA in 18 months) for Swayman but I’d also like the FDA to publish ice cream is a health food.

Since Edmonton probably going to lose Leon anyways makes sense - the few friends who heard this would do it but with some consternation and naturally wanted to substitute like me :laugh:

Don’t see Donny doing with Draisaitl a UFA in 18 months - maybe if signed

It’s interesting rumor because you have Bussi, DeBrusk a UFA from Edmonton and Poitras a center replaced by Drais

I do that without hesitation, but I think Poitras had to show more for EDM to… and if Poitras shows more then I start to have doubts if we should!

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I do that without hesitation, but I think Poitras had to show more for EDM to… and if Poitras shows more then I start to have doubts if we should!
I don't come anywhere close to doing that deal. You think the team would be better with Drai and subtracting those three? No way. Plus he's only signed for 2 more years so you can't even extend him now.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Okay...we see it differently. I have a good feeling about this group.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
There is definitely a camp of Bruins fans who want a little bit more snarl on this team ...the kind of guys that makes the other teams players think twice about taking physical advantage of us and give our skilled players a little more time and space .... specially come playoff time where it gets tighter and tougher out there .... count me in this camp

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
There is definitely a camp of Bruins fans who want a little bit more snarl on this team ...the kind of guys that makes the other teams players think twice about taking physical advantage of us and give our skilled players a little more time and space .... specially come playoff time where it gets tighter and tougher out there .... count me in this camp

Guys management literally said it was going to be a priority for them (which is why Lucic was brought on). If there's a logical way to do it, they'll do it.

But it won't be at the expense of what they already do well, and we're pretty darn cap squeezed. But at least consider the fact that Don is well aware. He was the first to say it in the offseason.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't come anywhere close to doing that deal. You think the team would be better with Drai and subtracting those three? No way. Plus he's only signed for 2 more years so you can't even extend him now.
I enjoy watching Drai play, but I'm with you on that deal. Drai is heavily dependent on the PP for his goal production. The Bs already have that person -- Pasta. Second, if people think Pasta is bad about careless turnovers then they need to watch Drai some. Matter of fact, he has around 100 more turnovers in his career than Pasta, and they have played close to the same number of NHL games. Bs fans keep wanting physical players, eh? Career hits Drai 386, Pasta 512.

I know they play different positions, but the reason I am comparing Drai to Pasta is because two of the things people whine most about Pasta are his turnovers and his lack of physicality. Drai is worse in both categories.

In no universe do I give up all of that for Draisaitl, especially given how much he will want on his next deal.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
yeah I don't make that deal for Drai, way too much of the future going the other way

I'd agree. You also have to self scout here, and decide what you think Poitras is going to be. If you think he is going to be a solid 55 point 2nd center, then maybe.

but if you believe he is going to be a guy who is an 80 point top 20 in the league center type for the next decade, then no way.

Also no bleeping way i trade Swayman. he is the franchise.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd agree. You also have to self scout here, and decide what you think Poitras is going to be. If you think he is going to be a solid 55 point 2nd center, then maybe.

but if you believe he is going to be a guy who is an 80 point top 20 in the league center type for the next decade, then no way.

Also no bleeping way i trade Swayman. he is the franchise.
I don’t do either thinking about it

Poiteas by year three I see him as a 65 point guy

Swayman franchise goalie

DeBrusk top 6 three zone player

Crazy stat

Sabres top ten picks last 11 years

No playoffs in 13 seasons

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Guys management literally said it was going to be a priority for them (which is why Lucic was brought on). If there's a logical way to do it, they'll do it.

But it won't be at the expense of what they already do well, and we're pretty darn cap squeezed. But at least consider the fact that Don is well aware. He was the first to say it in the offseason.
Looch is a good start, subtracting A.J, Greer was likely a mistake ...minor mistake but at least he was accountable ... Currently we have one tough forward (Looch), one tough goalie (Sway) and no tough Defense ...I'd like to add a tough D at minimum ...btw my definition of Tough is feared physically ...Charlie has some toughness via his open ice hitting acumen but I'd someone other than our franchise D help take care of business. I'd also like to see Freddy get more involved....not necessary fighting but learning to line guys up on a consistent basis and lay a heavy body.

In regards to cap, we might have to wait until next year or get a rental at the trade deadline. I'd give Zadorov some serious consideration to try him out and see how he meshes with our system and players as a rental this year. It will take Gryz + additional player(s)/pick(s) but the money would work.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I mean wasn't that why Hathaway was brought in last year? Didn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Foligno was brought in to the same and most of his time here many on this board complained about him.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
yeah I don't make that deal for Drai, way too much of the future going the other way
Forum users love putting over payments as options. :p sweeney doesn’t over pay.
I enjoy watching Drai play, but I'm with you on that deal. Drai is heavily dependent on the PP for his goal production. The Bs already have that person -- Pasta. Second, if people think Pasta is bad about careless turnovers then they need to watch Drai some. Matter of fact, he has around 100 more turnovers in his career than Pasta, and they have played close to the same number of NHL games. Bs fans keep wanting physical players, eh? Career hits Drai 386, Pasta 512.

I know they play different positions, but the reason I am comparing Drai to Pasta is because two of the things people whine most about Pasta are his turnovers and his lack of physicality. Drai is worse in both categories.

In no universe do I give up all of that for Draisaitl, especially given how much he will want on his next deal.
Pasternak was league leader in turn overs. You’re only half right. Pasta definitely hits way more but he also turns over the puck more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad