Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
This is the first time I’ve ever seen a player who leads a team in PK minutes and gets 80% defensive zone starts get called out for having “sheltered minutes”

This is quite the insane stretch. Do you know what sheltered means?
Neither of these are true. Zadorov is 5th on the Flames in total PK minutes, in PK minutes per game this season, and dzone starts per 60 min. Behind Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev, and Andersson in all 3 categories. Almost like he plays sheltered minutes behind the Flames best 4 defenseman.

I re-read the initial comment and I think Rico was talking about forbort and not Zadorov, in which case my bad, ignore all this lol

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
God knows I’m Fenian/Sheppy lite on these boards and I desperately want some big and nasty on the back end, but not at the 4 milly it’ll take to keep Zadorov happy. Plus his approach and comments around this trade request made him sound like a complete bird

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He was in the fourth (4th) percentile for quality of competition last year among all defensemen. Do you know what sheltered means?

Also where the hell do you get 80% DZ starts?
View attachment 767748
Those are 5v5 numbers above by the way.

I’m talking about forbort

Neither of these are true. Zadorov is 5th on the Flames in total PK minutes, in PK minutes per game this season, and dzone starts per 60 min. Behind Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev, and Andersson in all 3 categories. Almost like he plays sheltered minutes behind the Flames best 4 defenseman.

I re-read the initial comment and I think Rico was talking about forbort and not Zadorov, in which case my bad, ignore all this lol

Ya I was talking about forbort

Reactions: Blowfish

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Then uncle Rico has some ‘splainin to do

Yea the explanation is I was talking about forbort and he went on a little rant about zadorov.

Common sense would tell you when the numbers aren’t adding up maybe the subject is wrong.

But also not surprising because I said PK minutes per game and he’s out here giving total PK minutes. So he’s lost before the race even started. Wrong person and wrong stats.

I gave people too much credit for having common sense. I’ll write it out for people better next time.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think he might have meant Forbort, but he'd still be wrong.

Please inform me how playing nearly 4 minutes a game on the penalty kill. Most per game among any bruins player is “sheltered minutes”

Please I would love to hear the mental gymnastics that you’re about to go through to try and come up with something half way decent to tell me I’m wrong.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If Jake Middleton becomes available he should become a priority. I would take him over Zadarov anyday. Dillion would also look good. If you do something with Minnesota you could add Duhaime, if Grizz goes the other way salaries match.

Reactions: sarge88 and Bodit9

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Ah ok. Yeah Forbort isn’t sheltered to a Zadorov degree that’s for sure. But he got the easiest deployment of any Bruins D last year you’re correct.
How did Forbort get the easiest deployment when he had the second highest short handed TOI per game and the second lowest offensive zone start percentage? I’m guessing you’re looking at 5-on-5 quality of competition. Even so, that’s not the easiest deployment of any Bruins defensemen. Those PK minutes are hard minutes.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How did Forbort get the easiest deployment when he had the second highest short handed TOI per game and the second lowest offensive zone start percentage? I’m guessing you’re looking at 5-on-5 quality of competition. Even so, that’s not the easiest deployment of any Bruins defensemen. Those PK minutes are hard minutes.

Some people are so data and analytic driven in sports they forget to use common sense.

Forbort is the top PKer on the top PK unit in the league. Going up against opposing teams best scoring lines while down a man. Highest leverage situation there is.

But they will sit here and say his minutes are “sheltered” because when they are even strength his quality of competition reflects that of a 3rd pairing D. While completely disregarding that quality of competition he faces 4 minutes a night while down a player on the penalty kill.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Some people are so data and analytic driven in sports they forget to use common sense.

Forbort is the top PKer on the top PK unit in the league. Going up against opposing teams best scoring lines while down a man. Highest leverage situation there is.

But they will sit here and say his minutes are “sheltered” because when they are even strength his quality of competition reflects that of a 3rd pairing D. While completely disregarding that quality of competition he faces 4 minutes a night while down a player on the penalty kill.

One counterpoint about the PK that I see is that when Forbort was out for a stretch last year the PK actually did better statistically. I know sample sizes and all but still.

He does a good job getting hit by shots on the PK. Valuable for sure but if he’s getting caved in 5 on 5(eye test this year says he’s playing better so far compared to his past couple seasons) eventually that offsets what he’s doing on the PK.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Forbort. Zadorov.

They both suck. :laugh:

They don't both suck. They're both very limited and neither are worth their contracts IMO.

Zadorov is the more "fun" guy to watch. Physical. Mean. Better scorer. Provides something that many feel the Bruins lack (and I certainly don't disagree particularly with Lucic out).

Forbort is a lot less trick-or-treat. What you miss in the snarl department with him, he makes up in rarely leaving his brain on the bench when he hits the ice.

For a bottom-pair guy, I'd take either. But not for $$$ or term, which I suppose means I wouldn't take either.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Moving on to a different Flames UFA for a sec, but I think I'm kinda out on Elias Lindholm as a potential target unless he ends up being much cheaper (both on the trade market and in his next contract) then I think he ends up being. Currently has 8 points in 14 games, good for a 46 point pace, and based on his on-ice metrics his 2-way play seems to have fallen off a cliff. He's still a good player, but he just doesn't drive play at all, and what we need is 5v5 play drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad