Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mitchell is looking better than #12, last two times he played. #12 still handles the puck at NHL level but his legs aren't there.

Yeah and that is when the season is still early and the legs are fresh. I am very worried about what it looks like after games with a lot of back to back games thrown in, etc. Plus the nagging injuries that will come to all

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So now Kadri wants out if they rebuild in Calgary.

I'm trying to think how much of the 7M per I'd want someone to retain. Certainly at 5M it's a yes.

lol Kadri and Marchand on the same team. Super rats.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Yeah and that is when the season is still early and the legs are fresh. I am very worried about what it looks like after games with a lot of back to back games thrown in, etc. Plus the nagging injuries that will come to all
Mitchell is junk. He was on waivers for a reason. He is slow and soft. Shatt still has good hands and guile. His legs aren't there consistently but craftiness can get you by for a while.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So now Kadri wants out if they rebuild in Calgary.

I'm trying to think how much of the 7M per I'd want someone to retain. Certainly at 5M it's a yes.

lol Kadri and Marchand on the same team. Super rats.
He's 33 years old with 5 more years on the contract after this one. Full NMC the next two years and then a MNTC the last 3. Disaster of a contract - I want zero part of it, even at $5M.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
So Zacha started off the year with 3 straight games with no points, since then he's been a PPG. Up to 12 points in 15 games, on a 28 goal 65 point pace. Tied with Pasta for first on the team in 5v5 points, playing over 3 min a game on the PP, over 2 min a game on the PK, nearly 20 min all purpose min a game. Bruins really needed him to step up and be a real top 6 center this season and he's been every bit of that. That Haula for Zacha trade looks better and better every single day, might legit turn out to be Sweeney's most impactful move for us as GM cause of how important getting a young center was.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So Zacha started off the year with 3 straight games with no points, since then he's been a PPG. Up to 12 points in 15 games, on a 28 goal 65 point pace. Tied with Pasta for first on the team in 5v5 points, playing over 3 min a game on the PP, over 2 min a game on the PK, nearly 20 min all purpose min a game. Bruins really needed him to step up and be a real top 6 center this season and he's been every bit of that. That Haula for Zacha trade looks better and better every single day, might legit turn out to be Sweeney's most impactful move for us as GM cause of how important getting a young center was.

This is the other part of the reason I think it is unlikely the Bruins spend a boatload on a #1 center this summer, because Zacha may be a 1B. Then add in Poitras as a 1C. Sure it would be awesome if you get a 1A, but I am not sue another 1B is going to be worth going upwards of 10+ million

Reactions: dugg133

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I would love us to go after Sean Monahan, has been one of Montreal's top players this year and I am surprised they have not given him a new deal yet.
Maybe they are waiting to see if he can play the entire season without getting hurt?

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I have been saying this since the trade, 25 year old skilled player for a 30 year old who did have a career year for Boston, loved that trade when it happened. You have not even seen the best of Zacha just scratching the surface. I said at the beginning of the season and I repeat it now, it is best they don't go out and over pay for 1C,be patient and let this playout and evaluate what you have.

Reactions: dugg133

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
After 15 games, 1 regular season loss and top team in the NHL but we need to suggest trading away killer PK'r Forbert, trade for a number 1 center, and find a tough guy? Really? :huh::rolleyes:

Don has done an excellent job not doing any of those things and positioning the team for a good playoff run and cap space for next season.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I would love us to go after Sean Monahan, has been one of Montreal's top players this year and I am surprised they have not given him a new deal yet.
Maybe they are waiting to see if he can play the entire season without getting hurt?

I honestly say forget anyone over the age of 30. I just don't think guys like Hertl, Monahan, Stamkos or Kadri are really what this team needs. For me its either acquire a superstar age 28 or younger, a young talented underperformer (e.g. Zacha, or, previously Zibanejad/JT Miller) or just ride out with Poitras/Zacha.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I honestly say forget anyone over the age of 30. I just don't think guys like Hertl, Monahan, Stamkos or Kadri are really what this team needs. For me its either acquire a superstar age 28 or younger, a young talented underperformer (e.g. Zacha, or, previously Zibanejad/JT Miller) or just ride out with Poitras/Zacha.
I tend to lean this way as well.

I don't want to invest in a guy who's going to probably be a buy out in 2 years after purchase.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
1 regular season loss and top team in the NHL but we need to suggest trading away killer PK'r Forbert, trade for a number 1 center, and find a tough guy? Really? :huh::rolleyes:

Don has done an excellent job not doing any of those things and positioning the team for a good playoff run and cap space for next season.

But last night the B's were outhit by Buffalo. Buffalo!!!

Has to be a major concern.

• Haha
Reactions: Blowfish

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
This is the other part of the reason I think it is unlikely the Bruins spend a boatload on a #1 center this summer, because Zacha may be a 1B. Then add in Poitras as a 1C. Sure it would be awesome if you get a 1A, but I am not sue another 1B is going to be worth going upwards of 10+ million
Long way to go obviously and a lot could happen. But yeah if Zacha ends up finishing the year with like 60-70 points, and Poitras with like 35-40 as a 19 year old, I think I'd be very comfortable with them just strengthening the top 6 wings and keeping those two as your 1C and 2C.

Things change if Zacha's production stagnates at some point, but honestly I think he has a better chance of increasing his production rather then the other way round. He has 12 points and only 2 have come on the PP despite him playing over 3 min a game there. If they can figure out how to work in Zacha's wicked shot into their PP more frequently he might end up near a PPG pace.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
He's 33 years old with 5 more years on the contract after this one. Full NMC the next two years and then a MNTC the last 3. Disaster of a contract - I want zero part of it, even at $5M.

I don't think you're taking into account how valuable a 60pt C at 5M would be in 2026 relative to the cap, but I get your points. Kadri is give or take the same age as Taylor Hall. I'd have had no real issue locking Hall up at 5M had it been possible.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yah, how did that work for the bruins adding tough to play against guys "who can hit" last playoffs.

For this fan, that was kind of ridiculous.
Who were those guys? Bertuzzi isn't overly physical, he's a guy who will go to the dirty areas. He also had 10 points in 7 games.

They added Orlov who is decently physical on the back end, but was used in a more offensive role. He had 8 assists in 7 games.

Hathaway was a bit disappointing and didn't get much of a chance to get going due to a rib injury from a crosscheck. He was still physical and hardly a reason they lost that series.

Do you honestly think the Bruins lost to Florida because they were outhit?
Never said that. I said they need size and physicality for a playoff run.

I think Florida's physical forwards made life tough on the Bruins defense and had them looking over their shoulder and coughing up the puck with their constant forecheck. I think that was a big reason they lost.

There wasn't much pushback from the Bruins.

Reactions: sarge88

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Just to wrap up my thoughts on Zadorov:

Here is a baseline for the team next summer:

DeBrusk back at 5.5 is probably optimistic. Gave Swayman the Rask contract. Trade Ullmark.

Leaves Boston with 15 million and needing a 1C and a 5,6 and 7D.

If you give Zadorov 4 or 5 million of that, you are shit out of luck on having the funds for a #1C unless you also decide to let DeBrusk go and replace him with an ELC or vet minimum guy.
Nice work, maybe you're a bit low on DeBrusk and a bit high on Swayman but close enough for planning purposes. But I don't think adding Zadorov would mean no money for a #1c.

$15.8m in space
-$5m for Zadorov
-1.6$m for a #6 and #7 D
=$9.2m for a #1c.

You're not signing Nylander for that money, but I bet you could sign Lindholm for $9m, or Stamkos or Reinhart. Draisaitl makes $8.5, Hertl makes $8.1, JT Miller makes $8m...

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
That's a bit too far for me. We just have to be more careful about term on older players. I liked Craig Smith, but guys like him should be year to year it seems. Stamkos to me I would want, but I would want it to be a 1 or 2 year deal. Not sure if he would go for that. If so, I imagine TB will find a way to keep him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Nice work, maybe you're a bit low on DeBrusk and a bit high on Swayman but close enough for planning purposes. But I don't think adding Zadorov would mean no money for a #1c.

$15.8m in space
-$5m for Zadorov
-1.6$m for a #6 and #7 D
=$9.2m for a #1c.

You're not signing Nylander for that money, but I bet you could sign Lindholm for $9m, or Stamkos or Reinhart. Draisaitl makes $8.5, Hertl makes $8.1, JT Miller makes $8m...
$5M for Zadorov? He's a third pairing guy! No way we should be paying that number.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

$15.8m in space
-$5m for Zadorov
-1.6$m for a #6 and #7 D
=$9.2m for a #1c.

That’s fair, I do think you also need to look ahead to all those RFAs that only have one year left as part of the calculus too

edit: I am also not sure if I want a bunch of vet minimum D just to be able to carry Zadorov. I'd rather have a few 2-3 million dollar guys instead of one 5 million dollar guy.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

$15.8m in space
-$5m for Zadorov
-1.6$m for a #6 and #7 D
=$9.2m for a #1c.

No way I pay Zadarov 5 mi.

that said, i am also tired of being tight to the cap. Ideally we ice a 23 man roster next year, that allows about 1mil of flexibility against cap. this being able to add a 7 million dollar player at the deadline

Not saying I don't go tight to the cap if necessary to bring in an elite player, but saying I don't want to go tight to the cap for a #5 defenseman. Especially where you can probably get 90% of that player for a couple million less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad