Line Combos: 2023-2024 Red Wings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A friend of a friend is in the organization. But I agree, this would be a departure from the several years of preaching patience. So I'm very interested to find out, to what extent their claim bears fruit.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
A friend of a friend is in the organization. But I agree, this would be a departure from the several years of preaching patience. So I'm very interested to find out, to what extent their claim bears fruit.
It might be a realization the scoring needs a massive kickstart to catch up with team defense. We have a ton of D and character type forwards. Need some pure offensive pop. I have high hopes for Lombardi but we need him to hit and a couple more beyond him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It might be a realization the scoring needs a massive kickstart to catch up with team defense. We have a ton of D and character type forwards. Need some pure offensive pop. I have high hopes for Lombardi but we need him to hit and a couple more beyond him.
Yeah. If they can swing a deal or two for some scoring, then have both a Lombardi and a Buchelnikov hit after they're already winning playoff games, that would be huge.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The more of this Leafs/Tampa series I watch, the more I want Stevie to back the truck up for ROR
That line of thinking is as silly as the fervor for Killorn. The reason ROR and Killorn can do anything is because there are 4-5 guys way better than they are slotted ahead of them. You think either one of them is going to do shit on a line with Copp and Berggren? Hell no...

Reactions: DamonDRW

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
That line of thinking is as silly as the fervor for Killorn. The reason ROR and Killorn can do anything is because there are 4-5 guys way better than they are slotted ahead of them. You think either one of them is going to do shit on a line with Copp and Berggren? Hell no...
You're out to lunch if you think he isn't playing with Perron. Dude is a beast and a proven winner. This should be the last year we're talking about a lottery pick anyways.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You're out to lunch if you think he isn't playing with Perron. Dude is a beast and a proven winner. This should be the last year we're talking about a lottery pick anyways.
Sure played like it this year. Look at his production with the Blues this year, not Toronto if you want a glimpse of ROR on the Wings.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Sure played like it this year. Look at his production with the Blues this year, not Toronto if you want a glimpse of ROR on the Wings.
I'm more inclined to look at how he plays under pressure in the biggest hockey market on the planet for an accurate picture of him. He serves as a stopgap 2C until Kasper is ready, and like @SirloinUB said before, he'd be a great mentor for him.

Too much center depth is never a bad thing, and it's not like we're slammed against the cap. I'm not saying give him 8 million a season for 7 seasons, but I don't hate paying him 6.5-7m per for 2 or 3.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm not against the players Killorn or ROR, but the contracts. I'd rather make a trade for someone a few steps up than sign those guys to what they're gonna demand in a weak draft year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm more inclined to look at how he plays under pressure in the biggest hockey market on the planet for an accurate picture of him. He serves as a stopgap 2C until Kasper is ready, and like @SirloinUB said before, he'd be a great mentor for him.

Too much center depth is never a bad thing, and it's not like we're slammed against the cap. I'm not saying give him 8 million a season for 7 seasons, but I don't hate paying him 6.5-7m per for 2 or 3.
There is zero pressure on ROR in Toronto. Playing with house money because all the pressure is on Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. He gets a free audition on a stacked team. See Bertuzzi, Tyler.

Hope Kasper doesn't pick up any driving or negotiating tips from ROR...

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
There is zero pressure on ROR in Toronto. Playing with house money because all the pressure is on Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. He gets a free audition on a stacked team. See Bertuzzi, Tyler.

If it means becoming half the two way player ROR was in his prime, we can deal with it. It's starting to feel like you have a personal vendetta against O'Reilly or free agents or something.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If it means becoming half the two way player ROR was in his prime, we can deal with it. It's starting to feel like you have a personal vendetta against O'Reilly or free agents or something.
Kasper already is half the two-way player ROR is. He doesn't need him to learn how.

ROR is an annoyance that has turned into a pet peeve. He's not a paragon of winning hockey or someone you build around. He's a me first broken clock that was in the right time and place in '19.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Kasper already is half the two-way player ROR is. He doesn't need him to learn how.

ROR is an annoyance that has turned into a pet peeve. He's not a paragon of winning hockey or someone you build around. He's a me first broken clock that was in the right time and place in '19.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 10.11.37 PM.png

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Every. Single. Future. Roster. Thread.

For some weird reason everyone seems to think ROR is the best thing since sliced bread. He had 19pts and was -24 in 40 games on a team that finished ahead of us. He's not going to be playing with or behind Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander on the Wings. So his production suddenly not being dog shit is not indicative of what he's going to be doing on a mediocre roster. He's not capable of doing any heavy lifting.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
This^

Both players mentioned above are well past their primes. If had for the right price they would be excellent assets for a contending team, but only at the right price because they are no longer your top 1-2-3 stars on your team.

Are they impactful where they are slotted into the line up now? Of course. Do I think ROR is one of the better Leafs every night so far, yes I do, but only because of how he’s slotted into the line up.

I think throwing him term and a high AAV would do more harm than anything. Same goes for Killorn.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This^

Both players mentioned above are well past their primes. If had for the right price they would be excellent assets for a contending team, but only at the right price because they are no longer your top 1-2-3 stars on your team.

Are they impactful where they are slotted into the line up now? Of course. Do I think ROR is one of the better Leafs every night so far, yes I do, but only because of how he’s slotted into the line up.

I think throwing him term and a high AAV would do more harm than anything. Same goes for Killorn.
Also idk why we're locked on to those two when there's other guys that you'd be much more comfortable giving medium term and money to help add a but of scoring. Compher, Barbashev, Zucker, etc. Compher especially would bring what we'd want O'Reilly to bring with less risk.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Overpaying somebody based on a small sample heroics as depth players has surely been proven as a way to build the team

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Overpaying somebody based on a small sample heroics as depth players has surely been proven as a way to build the team
Other teams delude themselves into believing what an aging veteran does in a sheltered role on a stacked team is a fair representation of what they can do in a bigger role on a bad team. It never works.
But it just MIGHT work for us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Other teams delude themselves into believing what an aging veteran does in a sheltered role on a stacked team is a fair representation of what they can do in a bigger role on a bad team. It never works.
But it just MIGHT work for us.
To bring it local, some posters here staunchly believed that AA was a star in the making, just being held back by the coaches.

Context gets ignored all the time.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Every. Single. Future. Roster. Thread.

For some weird reason everyone seems to think ROR is the best thing since sliced bread. He had 19pts and was -24 in 40 games on a team that finished ahead of us. He's not going to be playing with or behind Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander on the Wings. So his production suddenly not being dog shit is not indicative of what he's going to be doing on a mediocre roster. He's not capable of doing any heavy lifting.
I think your distaste for him outweighs any adulation for him I've seen for him on this board.

The guy's been the captain of a Cup winner and won a Conn Smythe and Lady Byng. I don't think he's nearly as toxic as you seem to think. I can understand why people would want the Wings to sign him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think your distaste for him outweighs any adulation for him I've seen for him on this board.

The guy's been the captain of a Cup winner and won a Conn Smythe and Lady Byng. I don't think he's nearly as toxic as you seem to think. I can understand why people would want the Wings to sign him.
I wasn't aware he won the Lady Byng. Now that you mention it, I'm in favor of giving him a 5-year contract no matter the cap hit.

• Love
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Him or someone else to play with Seider
Walman?

Orlov is 5'11'' and LHD, Red Wings need 2 RHDs and Yzerman...... well you already know.
Compher especially would bring what we'd want O'Reilly to bring with less risk.
Based on what exactly? If people are so sure here that O'Reilly can't score in Detroit, how would Compher be able to do it then? Compher also had a career year, im not a player agent expert but quite sure he is going to milk every penny he can get. Compher is right handed, which we would need in the middle but i would be mad if Wings signed Compher for 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad