Line Combos: 2023-2024 Red Wings

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Walman?

Orlov is 5'11'' and LHD, Red Wings need 2 RHDs and Yzerman...... well you already know.

Based on what exactly? If people are so sure here that O'Reilly can't score in Detroit, how would Compher be able to do it then? Compher also had a career year, im not a player agent expert but quite sure he is going to milk every penny he can get. Compher is right handed, which we would need in the middle but i would be mad if Wings signed Compher for 5 years.
I mean a stabilizing force down the middle, not scoring. I wouldn't advocate for a big deal for him and idk if he'll get one, he doesn't have the pedigree of Killorn and ROR. I'm thinking a 4x4 thing.

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I won't hate ROR or Killorn, it's the term that would be the tell for me. If someone would've told me a year ago we would have Perron and I would be a big fan of his I would have laughed.

Either way I won't really care.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think your distaste for him outweighs any adulation for him I've seen for him on this board.

The guy's been the captain of a Cup winner and won a Conn Smythe and Lady Byng. I don't think he's nearly as toxic as you seem to think. I can understand why people would want the Wings to sign him.
Toews is just missing the Byng. Let's sign him. Oh he's not that player anymore? You don't say...

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Toews is just missing the Byng. Let's sign him. Oh he's not that player anymore? You don't say...
I'm not saying they should sign O'Reilly. My point regarding the Byng is you're attacking a guy's character quite a bit even though he's won a Byng and captained a SC winner.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm not saying they should sign O'Reilly. My point regarding the Byng is you're attacking a guy's character quite a bit even though he's won a Byng and captained a SC winner.
Just off ice. And captaining a Cup winner is not indicative of someone possessing a positive character. Just as an FYI. The bad number as many as the good.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I understand the hesitation with older players but do the younger options have the ability?

Compher has scored more than 33 points once.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I just don't get the stubborn fixation with the UFA pool. If the pool is pissed in with floaters bobbing around. Don't. Go. Swimming.

Trade or hold.

I'd rather have Vancouver give us a 3rd to take Myers' last year to reach the floor than sign someone mediocre to any kind of term just because they're the best of a bad bunch.

Though Arizona is probably salivating over Myers. After July 1st he's a $6M cap hit for only $1M salary...

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand the hesitation with older players but do the younger options have the ability?

Compher has scored more than 33 points once.
He is a prime aged RH forward who has history with Larkin and has center/winger flexiblity that has shown he can be a 2C on a good team and can score about .5 PPG when given over 16 min of ice time.

He is what he is. If you sign him you expect him to be a 40/45/50 point guy. He is probably a better option in the top 6 than a decent amount of what we have. But he also has the flexibility to play up and down your lineup, and play winger or center.

I would rather sign someone like that than sign ROR or Killorn and just wait for the bottom to fall out.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He is a prime aged RH forward who has history with Larkin and has center/winger flexiblity that has shown he can be a 2C on a good team and can score about .5 PPG when given over 16 min of ice time.

He is what he is. If you sign him you expect him to be a 40/45/50 point guy. He is probably a better option in the top 6 than a decent amount of what we have. But he also has the flexibility to play up and down your lineup, and play winger or center.

I would rather sign someone like that than sign ROR or Killorn and just wait for the bottom to fall out.

I’m not necessarily anti Compher, just skeptical of what we’ll get out of him.

He spent most of this season on the avs top PP. And while I can appreciate that he is younger that O’Reilly or Killorn, he will also probably command more term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m not necessarily anti Compher, just skeptical of what we’ll get out of him.

He spent most of this season on the avs top PP. And while I can appreciate that he is younger that O’Reilly or Killorn, he will also probably command more term.
All these guys we are looking at are on good teams and I would be skeptical of their production dropping here.

Killorn, ROR, Compher. All of them are in a much better situation now than what they would be here.

Look at ROR on STL vs TOR this year.

Compher on a 5 year deal would take him to Killorn's current age.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I just don't get the stubborn fixation with the UFA pool. If the pool is pissed in with floaters bobbing around. Don't. Go. Swimming.

Trade or hold.
Absolutely agreed. People are talking themselves into liking the players that are available. Don't like the Copp contract? Congratulations, now you get to sign a worse player to a similar contract (Compher).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Absolutely agreed. People are talking themselves into liking the players that are available. Don't like the Copp contract? Congratulations, now you get to sign a worse player to a similar contract (Compher).
We added players to our top 6 last summer that were better than what we had (Copp, Perron, Kubalik)

We shouldn’t look at doing that again?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We added players to our top 6 last summer that were better than what we had (Copp, Perron, Kubalik)

Those guys were signed to multi-year deals in part to avoid having to go UFA hunting again this summer. If we could add a legit top 6 scorer that would be great. I don't think that player is really available.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I would guess we are looking at adding guys like this again, at least whoever we add through free agency. Good players on team friendly terms. Maybe Killorn will fit that, I don't know. I don't think ROR or Compher will. It's something else that plays into my pushing Monahan, tbh.

If we go more than 2 years for someone, I would guess it's a blueliner.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This should be the last year we're talking about a lottery pick anyways.
I'm overall pretty positive on the future outlook of the Wings, but I don't see a path to this team making the playoffs next season, unless Yzerman makes a series of trades that involve moving draft picks and young assets to get more talent, which I don't think is a good idea, and I don't think he'll do. It's too soon in the rebuild.

The UFA class is weak, the East is strong, and the teams just ahead of us in the standings are getting better more quickly. I think we as fans should be hoping for a lot of positive development from our young players and prospects, and expect Detroit to sniff around a playoff spot for most of the season (much like this one), but to actually make it they'll have to leapfrog 4 of these 5: Islanders, Panthers, Penguins, Sabres, and Senators. I don't see it. We should be a lottery team again next season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm overall pretty positive on the future outlook of the Wings, but I don't see a path to this team making the playoffs next season, unless Yzerman makes a series of trades that involve moving draft picks and young assets to get more talent, which I don't think is a good idea, and I don't think he'll do. It's too soon in the rebuild.

The UFA class is weak, the East is strong, and the teams just ahead of us in the standings are getting better more quickly. I think we as fans should be hoping for a lot of positive development from our young players and prospects, and expect Detroit to sniff around a playoff spot for most of the season (much like this one), but to actually make it they'll have to leapfrog 4 of these 5: Islanders, Panthers, Penguins, Sabres, and Senators. I don't see it. We should be a lottery team again next season.

Cap penalty to the Bruins next year. I’d anticipate Hall, DeBrusk and Carlo are available. Any one of them is a big boost to this roster.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just off ice. And captaining a Cup winner is not indicative of someone possessing a positive character. Just as an FYI. The bad number as many as the good.

At first I was kinda indifferent to getting O'Reilly.

But your fervor for running him down, at literally every opportunity provided, makes the proposition of him on the Wings an exciting one for the forum. Watching you come up with new and creative ways to pour Hatorade on him for the next 5 years would be worth the contract cost.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Killorn, Zucker, Barbashev would be my top 3 candidates.
I think zucker is the pick for us. Will do exactly what he is told and be happy doing it.

Cap penalty to the Bruins next year. I’d anticipate Hall, DeBrusk and Carlo are available. Any one of them is a big boost to this roster.
Hall or debrusk would be great. I think Hall will try to stay there somehow though. He seems to love it there. debrusk would be awesome.

Reactions: Mister Ed

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
At first I was kinda indifferent to getting O'Reilly.

But your fervor for running him down, at literally every opportunity provided, makes the proposition of him on the Wings an exciting one for the forum. Watching you come up with new and creative ways to pour Hatorade on him for the next 5 years would be worth the contract cost.
I certainly wouldn't be alone on that front. See the forum support for Chiarot, Ben.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
(as posted above)

A friend of a friend is in the organization. But I agree, this would be a departure from the several years of preaching patience. So I'm very interested to find out, to what extent their claim bears fruit.

Reactions: Ricelund

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
(as posted above)

A friend of a friend is in the organization. But I agree, this would be a departure from the several years of preaching patience. So I'm very interested to find out, to what extent their claim bears fruit.
An organization isn't a hivemind either, so there could be people pushing for an aggressive "win now" approach while others want to stick to a more patient approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad