Line Combos: 2023-2024 Red Wings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
An organization isn't a hivemind either, so there could be people pushing for an aggressive "win now" approach while others want to stick to a more patient approach.

It could also be nuanced. I mean, they can want to be more aggressive but it takes two to tango and if a move isn't there...it's not there. I'd also bet a lot rests on the draft. We somehow move up and I bet our plans change a bit. We fall (again)...maybe being more aggressive in other areas becomes more appealing.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The trade and UFA candidates all leave something to be desired especially for a team in the middle of a rebuild. Still, this team needs to add two top 6 forwards and a top 4 D.

Combined, those two points should make for a fascinating summer.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The trade and UFA candidates all leave something to be desired especially for a team in the middle of a rebuild. Still, this team needs to add two top 6 forwards and a top 4 D.

Top 6 isn't quite right. We are in desperate need of a top line winger. We have a bunch of guys that can fill out a 2nd line.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Made A quick mock lineup based on no trades materializing and adding depth.

Kubalik - Larkin - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Fabbri
Berggren - Kasper - Perron
Soderblom - Veleno - Hathaway
Zadina/Chiasson

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Maatta
Chiarot - Schenn
Oesterle

Husso
Hill

This is a team that would take a nice step forward. Mostly focused on developing the young guys some more and putting them in big roles, may not make the playoffs but will be closer to Buffalo's performance this year. Hill and Schenn are guys I think add wins just from having more depth at d and more capable backup goaltending. Hathaway for much needed grit.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Zadina/Chiasson

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Maatta
Chiarot - Schenn
Oesterle

Husso
Hill

This is a team that would take a nice step forward. Mostly focused on developing the young guys some more and putting them in big roles, may not make the playoffs but will be closer to Buffalo's performance this year. Hill and Schenn are guys I think add wins just from having more depth at d and more capable backup goaltending. Hathaway for much needed grit.

That team still looks bottom 5 or bottom 6 to me.

After the wings traded Vrana, Bert, Sunny, and Hronek after having lost Rasmussen and Fabbri to injuries they were the 3rd worst team in the league. All your roster suggestion does is replace Oesterle and Lindstrom with Schenn, and Erne with Hathaway.

Are you expecting Raymond to turn into Mitch Marner and put up 90+ points in his 3rd season? Are Kubalik and Copp putting up 25 goals and 60 points next year?

Kasper and Edvinsson are great prospects. No doubt about that. But unless Kasper puts up 50 points and Edvinsson nears Seider's rookie production that team is going nowhere but backwards from this season.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
That team still looks bottom 5 or bottom 6 to me.

After the wings traded Vrana, Bert, Sunny, and Hronek after having lost Rasmussen and Fabbri to injuries they were the 3rd worst team in the league. All your roster suggestion does is replace Oesterle and Lindstrom with Schenn, and Erne with Hathaway.

Are you expecting Raymond to turn into Mitch Marner and put up 90+ points in his 3rd season? Are Kubalik and Copp putting up 25 goals and 60 points next year?

Kasper and Edvinsson are great prospects. No doubt about that. But unless Kasper puts up 50 points and Edvinsson nears Seider's rookie production that team is going nowhere but backwards from this season.
I expect Raymond to hit 60 points. I think that middle 6 is deep and with the coaches making adjustments to draw out more offense you could see some success. And I think Edvinsson and Kasper could have huge impacts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
on the plus side I've given you a reason to put your feet up and call in sick tomorrow.

Thank goodness. I'm pretty immersed in the NFL draft right now (which is tomorrow for those hockey only fans). I need the day to process everything.

I'll have more hockey draft and prospect hot takes starting next week when I dive into my annual tradition of making wild assumptions on YouTube highlights and one paragraph blurbs from anonymous scouts.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Zadina/Chiasson

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Maatta
Chiarot - Schenn
Oesterle

Husso
Hill

I think we will see some version of this + a trade for a forward. I don't know if that means a 2nd for a Leddy level forward or a 1st + 2nd + 3rd for a Debrincat type of situation but I do expect Yzerman to make at least one other move to upgrade the team.

Reactions: NickH8

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think we will see some version of this + a trade for a forward. I don't know if that means a 2nd for a Leddy level forward or a 1st + 2nd + 3rd for a Debrincat type of situation but I do expect Yzerman to make at least one other move to upgrade the team.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't make a significant move for the top 6.

We already saw this roster struggle to score goals without Bert and Vrana, so there has to be some kind of attempt to patch those holes.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I mean he has to. He seemed openly irritated that we are not somewhat significantly better than last year. Him and Lalonde both said we have no real scorers. So, something has to happen or we stand pat because we couldn't get a deal done.

Reactions: Bench and NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I mean he has to. He seemed openly irritated that we are not somewhat significantly better than last year. Him and Lalonde both said we have no real scorers. So, something has to happen or we stand pat because we couldn't get a deal done.
I agree. Ideally we go in with a lineup better than the one I posted. Yzerman should be ex0loring DeBrincat, Connor, Scheifele, Ehlers, and whoever materializes as available for trade. Every pick should be on the table, even 9th overall.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I agree. Ideally we go in with a lineup better than the one I posted. Yzerman should be ex0loring DeBrincat, Connor, Scheifele, Ehlers, and whoever materializes as available for trade. Every pick should be on the table, even 9th overall.

Will the Bruins be able to keep Bertuzzi or will he price himself out? Can you imagine him next to Larkin? Woah baby.

I took the liberty of making this Photoshop of him on the Wings.

5a46ebbc-87c1-400a-b260-016619b4203a-SI_20211118_ams_cs1_17_1.jpg

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Will the Bruins be able to keep Bertuzzi or will he price himself out? Can you imagine him next to Larkin? Woah baby.

Stop you're making me sad

Reactions: Realgud

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Take a c
Thank goodness. I'm pretty immersed in the NFL draft right now (which is tomorrow for those hockey only fans). I need the day to process everything.

I'll have more hockey draft and prospect hot takes starting next week when I dive into my annual tradition of making wild assumptions on YouTube highlights and one paragraph blurbs from anonymous scouts.
You do you. Enjoy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

This is the absolute best photoshop I have ever seen. It looks just like he actually played for Detroit!

• Haha
Reactions: Bench and Realgud

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Like hockey is always my first love, but the NFL draft has so much more drama and pageantry.

Also my favorite team isn't constantly MOVING DOWN from their draft spot due to a lottery. That's also nice.
And the Jordan Love era can finally begin! That's like 7000 percent fewer enemas in Green Bay!

• Haha
Reactions: Bench

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
????- Larkin-Raymond
Kubalik-Copp-Perron
Berggren-Raz-Fabbri
Soderblom-Kasper-Veleno
Erne/whoever

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-????
Chiarot-Lindstrom? (Gag)
Oesterle/Hagg (gag again)

Husso
Hellberg/Ned

We need to spend a few million just to hit cap floor, so I expect a top 6 winger and RD during the off season.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
????- Larkin-Raymond
Kubalik-Copp-Perron
Berggren-Raz-Fabbri
Soderblom-Kasper-Veleno
Erne/whoever

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-????
Chiarot-Lindstrom? (Gag)
Oesterle/Hagg (gag again)

Husso
Hellberg/Ned

We need to spend a few million just to hit cap floor, so I expect a top 6 winger and RD during the off season.
I think Yzerman will look for a center as well but you're 100% right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad