Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 opening night roster set

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
RHP should not be on the 4th line
Why? He plays just as well on the
I think Gallagher would have more use than he has now if he didn't have the freak injuries on his hands. Everyone talked about how his play style wouldn't let him last in the NHL, and I think there's definitely truth to that, but I think the hand injuries really sealed the coffin for Gally's career.

He was an underrated player for a while. If we recall the JM years, there'd be stretches where the only way we'd win is Price SO + Gally goal for a 1-0 win. He willed garbage goals into existence. I love Gally and its one of the tragedies of hockey to not be able to put that player in a proper roster spot. Instead, gally gets shit on because he shouldn't have been a #1RW compared to others around the league. I think if he didn't have those hand injuries, he could contribute way more, even if its as a 4th liner. :(
i think no matter what team he played on he was never more than a 2nd scoring RW and on a properly built team probably a 3/2 RW.

He never made team Canada although I’m sure he was always considered.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Anderson had good camp. Deserves chance on first line. Ylonen only reason he made team over Heinemann was he had to be protected. Dvorak comes back Ylonen likely waived anyway.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
i think no matter what team he played on he was never more than a 2nd scoring RW and on a properly built team probably a 3/2 RW.

He never made team Canada although I’m sure he was always considered.
Yes that's what I'm saying. He was slotted above in as our top RW for many of the seasons he played so people would shit on him ignoring the context

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's actually crazy how much more Anderson can do but doesn't. The guy is one of the fastest skaters in the league, a very big guy who doesn't shy away from hitting and has pretty good goalscoring instincts. When he does work hard, he's the best player on the ice, but oftentimes he just doesn't work hard enough. His athleticism and above average skillset should still more than makeup for his lack of hockey IQ. Even if he doesn't try hard in every game of the regular season, the guy needs to be going balls to walls every shift in the playoffs yet his stats suck.

Reactions: the

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Price's LTIR was the real prize as it is season long and substantial. Dvo is coming back in a few months, so need for in-season LTIR. Nobody took this into account in their paper move projections.

actually, arpon basu predicted dvorak going to the off season ltir just after the tanner pearson's trade

If the Canadiens were to place Dvorak on offseason LTIR, they would have no problem fitting Price on the roster to start the season and wouldn’t necessarily need to do much maneuvering in order to do so. No one would have to go on waivers and no one would need to be papered to Laval to fit Price’s $10.5 million on the roster. In fact, if the Canadiens went down this road, they might need to ensure they add salary prior to submitting their opening roster to ensure they use up as much of Dvorak’s LTIR space as they can.

Going about it this way would allow the Canadiens to place Price on in-season LTIR, and the closer they get to using all of Dvorak’s LTIR space on the season-opening roster, the more of Price’s $10.5 million salary would be available for them to play with afterward. And when Dvorak is ready to return, his salary would be absorbed by the cap space created by putting Price on in-season LTIR. Depending on how close the Canadiens get to the LTIR limit prior to the roster deadline, that would leave somewhere in the neighbourhood of $6 million in cap space for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Anderson on the first line? To see Fat Tony and Angels defending that was laughable. Oh Eric you are so convinced just cause you talked to Marty. What objectivity here. Epinard on the freaking fourth line and Ylonen in the line-up? Naaa

Reactions: the

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Here what's gonna happen vs the Leafs

Usual overtime game
Anderson score his goal and play like a maniac then will dissapear for 5 games after
Our PP will fail
Gallagher will be out of breath after 1 shift
Gallagher or Slaf to score then the '' I told you so'' will go on for 1 week
Our Goalie will let in an incredible softie
Leafs will choke a 3-1 lead as usual
Ron Jeremy to score on the PP
1 of Caufield or Suzuki will get a 2 points game.
MSL will say at the end that '' we played a bit slow in the first period but then we picked up in the third period ''

I forgot
Monahan might collapse after pairing with Pearson and Gallagher after a period.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

Usual overtime game
Anderson score his goal and play like a maniac then will dissapear for 5 games after
Our PP will fail
MSL will say at the end that '' we played a bit slow in the first period but then we picked up in the third period ''

I forgot
Comedy gold.

Ron Jeremy comment got me.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
The Habs don’t have to assign Armia to the minors immediately. They have up to 30 days (or if he plays 10 NHL games) to assign him to Laval before they have to put him on waivers again.

This could be a move just to get as close to the cap without going over. As noted above they could then send Armia down and recall Xhekaj.

Interesting they went the route of putting Dvorak on LTIR.
Armia also have more "value" with the 30 days waivers exemption.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's funny watching posters complain about Anderson on the Suzuki/Caufield line when their evidence of it not working is like 5 games last year. :laugh:. Need a little more than 5 games to evaluate it properly.

I had Anderson on that line in my line-up. I know what MSL sees as well. There is potential there and in the past, we had too many injuries to keep that line in place.

However, having said all of this, Monahan is our insurance. When Dvorak is healthy, it's very possible Monahan takes Anderson's spot if there is signs of it not working.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs don’t have to assign Armia to the minors immediately. They have up to 30 days (or if he plays 10 NHL games) to assign him to Laval before they have to put him on waivers again.

This could be a move just to get as close to the cap without going over. As noted above they could then send Armia down and recall Xhekaj.

Interesting they went the route of putting Dvorak on LTIR.

Without Dvorak on LTIR, it would have had to have been Price and with that situation, we would have not been able to accrue cap space as the season went along. That's a big deal in terms of flexibility to get in on circumstantial trades.

Dvorak might be on LTIR for a month. Price gets moved ASAP (probably today or tomorrow). We are basically accruing cap space immediately this way. Kind of similar to when Weber was on LTIR before the season and then Priced moved after. Because Price's cap hit is so high, it changes the formula in our favor

Xhekaj was sent because we had to move to 23 players. I believe we would have been under the cap with Xhekaj but we had 24 guys.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Question? Is Armia part of the 23 man roster or not? It appears to me he is but since he cleared waivers, we were able to save a little over a $1M in cap space heading into the season. I'm assuming he is part of the 23 man roster and it was the reason why Xhekaj was temporarily moved to the AHL.

Looks to me like we have around $2M in cap space heading into the season. That will change quickly once Price is moved to LTIR.

e5yTct7.png

That second line man! 3 guys that are all very hungry and eager to prove their draft status.

Newhook and Slaf paired with Dach gives them every opportunity in the world. Put up or shut up time!

I'm wondering how long that line-up stays as is?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Armia also have more "value" with the 30 days waivers exemption.

So in the next 30 days, Armia's cap hit is actually $2.250M? This how I understand it but not sure? He cleared waivers and we are able to bury a little over a $1M in cap?

Is this possible? Save cap space but he don't have to play AHL? Last for 30 days?

Might give Pearson a game or two on the third but he’s destined for the fourth line

Agreed. Monahan is only playing 3C until Dvorak gets healthy. When Dvorak is back, we can move Monahan to one of the top 2 lines.... depending on who is not performing well between Slaf, Anderson, and Newhook.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
So in the next 30 days, Armia's cap hit is actually $2.250M? This how I understand it but not sure? He cleared waivers and we are able to bury a little over a $1M in cap?

Is this possible? Save cap space but he don't have to play AHL? Last for 30 days?

Armia’s cap hit is $3.4 million until they assign him to the minors. The cap hit relief is then $1,150,000 when assigned to the minors or loaned to another professional team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Armia’s cap hit is $3.4 million until they assign him to the minors. When assigned to the minors (or loaned to another professional team) his cap his will be $1,150,000.

I'm not so sure CapFriendly has all the little details we would like them to have.

I understand the savings with the AHL factor. And his cap hit won't be $1.15M if he goes to AHL, that is the savings. If he goes to AHL, his cap hit to the Habs will be $2.25M

My question is the clearing waivers and 30 days narrative. Are we saving cap with this? I don't think cap friendly has potential loophole in their formula of typical questions asked.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
During a preseason game, puck was behind the opponents' net. Gally came to retrieve it very fast, threw himself to the board to try to fight for the puck. We heard a big CRASH but the puck was already long gone. The moment he hit the board, a dman was already passing the puck through the red line and we saw a good scoring chance against us. All of this happening while Gally was still trying to come back to the play.

Bonne saison!

• Love
Reactions: Runner77 and the

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not so sure CapFriendly has all the little details we would like them to have.

I understand the savings with the AHL factor. And his cap hit won't be $1.15M if he goes to AHL, that is the savings. If he goes to AHL, his cap hit to the Habs will be $2.25M

My question is the clearing waivers and 30 days narrative. Are we saving cap with this? I don't think cap friendly has potential loophole in their formula of typical questions asked.

I edited my post to reflect the proper cap hit when his contract is buried (unfortunately not in time for you to quote me). You’re right it’s supposed to be $2.25 million.

No the Habs are not saving cap until Armia is assigned to the minors. Right now he is on the cap for $3.4 million.

Capfriendly has the Canadiens page updated to reflect their current cap situation.

In your post above (showing the roster) I believe you were missing Pezzetta.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Usual overtime game
Our PP will fail

I forgot
You forgot the bit where Marner and Matthews skate around the hab zone all night and we pretend it’s not a thing of beauty while we hope Reaves does not put out Xhekaj’s mojo.

Everything you predicted will most probably happen though :)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Question? Is Armia part of the 23 man roster or not? It appears to me he is but since he cleared waivers, we were able to save a little over a $1M in cap space heading into the season. I'm assuming he is part of the 23 man roster and it was the reason why Xhekaj was temporarily moved to the AHL.

Looks to me like we have around $2M in cap space heading into the season. That will change quickly once Price is moved to LTIR.

e5yTct7.png

I'm wondering how long that line-up stays as is?

Seeing the stark graphic that Gallagher is the team's third highest paid forward (player) should make any knowledgeable fan nauseous. That contract is positively Houle-ian in it's level of ineptness.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I don't get why RHP start with the black hole Evans at center.....If you don't want to play him on the 1st line because that line would be too small, at least play him with Monahan.

RHP-Monahan-Gallagher/Pearson
Gallagher/Pearson-Evans-Ylonen

Against Toronto it make sense, he's going to score his usual goal against them.
I wouldn’t say Evans is a black hole at all. He’s just always injured. He’s actually a good hockey player and was never touted as a scorer so I’m not sure what you mean

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I kinda like RHP on the 4th... lets see how hes gonna react

Look like Gallagher may have more than 10 points this season also

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad