Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 opening night roster set

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yuk! that's the roster? it's so grand when an organization mocks the consumers. Looks like the tank is in full force again.should make a heap of fans ecstatic.
Bravo to miser Molson for playing his cards flawlessly yet again and saving face from irate fans for another decade as their are no expectations anymore. The perpetuity rebuild is on,let's go! lol

Rebuild is on but so are the transition seasons. Fans might think we are tanking again but I don't think that's the plan from the players or Gorton/Hughes/MSL. They want progress and it doesn't have to be playoffs.

What are your personal expectations?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Easy for some to be puzzled it seems. This org does nothing innovative or creative,same thing year after year spewing the same garbage and saying they will make the best roster possible,and then they don't do that.
Maybe don't be such a drama queen and exaggerate to create false and misleading assumptions. If you like how they roll,good for you,I don't.
Molson is selling product and many people are buying it,that's on them.lol.

What are your plans to be a contender without going through the painful rebuild? Can you at least be constructive with your criticism? Otherwise, it comes off as ignorant whining.

Reactions: bsl

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Transition season eh,how delightful.lol

My expectations? with this org,none,aside from selling seats and product. I can't see Montreal winning a cup with Molson still around.

Why the hell is Gallagher even on the team?lol
Uh. Gallagher is still on the team because he was signed to a contract. See: NHL CBA. And the consequences Habs face if they break that contract. Yeesh.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Why the hell is Gallagher on the PP and not RHP?
To be honest, Gallagher at this point at best is a 4th liner, and he doesn't have much time left in the NHL.

HP should be on the 3rd line with more minutes on the ice and can definitely help generate offense with Monahan and Pearson

Reactions: expy

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I'm over it. It is what it is. Only thing that worries me is Gallagher's contract ovelaps Dach by one year. Lets see how that ages and if Gallagher either goes on LTIR or is trade by then. I'm doubtful.

We can't change the past. Gallagher was very good in his 20's but he's declined a lot at age 29+. We caved into the 30+ problem where we paid a guy that didn't skate well. I find those types decline faster in their 30's.

Anyways, he's here and he's playing. Live with it. We all don't like it but are we going to complain about it over and over again? Not sure where the value is on complaining about it. We all see the problem.
You learn from your mistakes. The bigger the mistake the bigger the lesson.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
actually, arpon basu predicted dvorak going to the off season ltir just after the tanner pearson's trade

If the Canadiens were to place Dvorak on offseason LTIR, they would have no problem fitting Price on the roster to start the season and wouldn’t necessarily need to do much maneuvering in order to do so. No one would have to go on waivers and no one would need to be papered to Laval to fit Price’s $10.5 million on the roster. In fact, if the Canadiens went down this road, they might need to ensure they add salary prior to submitting their opening roster to ensure they use up as much of Dvorak’s LTIR space as they can.

Going about it this way would allow the Canadiens to place Price on in-season LTIR, and the closer they get to using all of Dvorak’s LTIR space on the season-opening roster, the more of Price’s $10.5 million salary would be available for them to play with afterward. And when Dvorak is ready to return, his salary would be absorbed by the cap space created by putting Price on in-season LTIR. Depending on how close the Canadiens get to the LTIR limit prior to the roster deadline, that would leave somewhere in the neighbourhood of $6 million in cap space for the rest of the season.
Arpon even foreshadowed the Armia/Xhekaj switch to add salary.

Reactions: BLONG7

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm over it. It is what it is. Only thing that worries me is Gallagher's contract ovelaps Dach by one year. Lets see how that ages and if Gallagher either goes on LTIR or is trade by then. I'm doubtful.

We can't change the past. Gallagher was very good in his 20's but he's declined a lot at age 29+. We caved into the 30+ problem where we paid a guy that didn't skate well. I find those types decline faster in their 30's.

Anyways, he's here and he's playing. Live with it. We all don't like it but are we going to complain about it over and over again? Not sure where the value is on complaining about it. We all see the problem.
If in 18-24 months from now, we can say that Bredan Gallagher is the worst contract on our books...i'll take it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Price's LTIR was the real prize as it is season long and substantial. Dvo is coming back in a few months, so need for in-season LTIR. Nobody took this into account in their paper move projections.
Here is where I and a few others went wrong:

It is true that using no LTIR before the season is best if you want to maximize Price's $10.5M and use it in season.

But it is not possible to have the 23 man roster Hughes wants with only $73M of spend, excluding Price. We are at $77M, like it or not. So using Dvorak's $4.4M LTIR option instead of paper demotions and recalls has the advantage of avoiding ELC bonuses of the recalled players being counted on the cap.

When Dvorak returns, we will need to remove someone from the active roster. If we don't want to expose anyone to waivers, we could send RHP down until there is an injury to a F. But if RHP is playing well and deserves to stay, we could take the chance to waive Primeau, if no one around the league has lost a goalie. Or if Allen is crapping out, we could waive him. But I'll go with Primeau for this example.

Waiving Primeau and putting Wideman on LTIR as well will leave us with $8.024M of cap space under our adjusted limit (ACSL) of $83.389M.

We could use all that $8M of space (less some leeway for short-term injury callups), to acquire assets, provided we are ready to immediately waive Wideman or waive or demote some other expendable player, when Wideman is cleared to return.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Let's get some boo birds going in the crowd when gally touches the puck on the PP.

No but seriously for sure somebody will be in Marty's ear asking him what the hell he is thinking if gally is still there after 2 weeks

Reactions: BLONG7 and Redux91

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Let's get some boo birds going in the crowd when gally touches the puck on the PP.

No but seriously for sure somebody will be in Marty's ear asking him what the hell he is thinking if gally is still there after 2 weeks
Yes, just because a guy is on the PP or a certain line means nothing in Montreal..................man we change lines during a period!! LOL

Gally is being shown some respect, and let's hope he can earn the ice time on the PP from the beginning......if not, he wont be on it fairly soon...

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yikes hf I just hit 10,000 posts. Most of them idiotic. Do I get a prize?
Nah, the moderators just beat you up.

I post so much because it's physical interaction between myself and other humans and I crave that, so I let them beat me up just to feel a connection...

I mean uhhh you get nothing and uhhh f*** the Leafs and uhhh f*** pumpkin spice, f*** squirrels, f*** trees, f*** you f*** me, f*** everybody.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't understand why Dvorak is on LTIR not IR and then moved to LTIR after the season starts. I thought the idea was to not use any LTIR in the offseason.
The idea is to be able to accrue Cap space for bonuses. Keeping Armia up after Dvorak's 4.45M went on LTIR is to come as close to the Cap ceiling as possible under this scenario.

With Dvorak back and Price on LTIR during the season, Montreal will have close to 6M in Cap space once Armia goes to Laval.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If in 18-24 months from now, we can say that Bredan Gallagher is the worst contract on our books...i'll take it.

Hopefully it's the only bad contract we have. I just find it sad to see him digress so much and I don't think the attacking fan types are going to let off. Always someone on our radar.

Reactions: morhilane and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When Dvo comes back, hopefully, either he or Monahan is the solution to the 1st line: Ideally it's Dvo, so Monahan can lead a strong 3rd line.

Caufield - Suzuki - Dvo/Monahan
Slaf - Dach - Newhook
RHP - Monahan/Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Ylonen
Pearson, Pez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad