Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 opening night roster set

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
These are the « we respect vets » lines.

It won’t last long but I’m sure they want to make sure the vets still feel part of it. I can bear it since this season doesn’t matter but I’m certain that it’s not the « best » possible lineup.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Newhook-Suzuki-Caufield
Slafkovsky-Dach-Anderson
RHP-Monahan-Gallagher
Pearson-Evans-Pezzetta
Ylonen

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Xhekaj-Kovacevic
Harris

Montembault
Allen
Primeau

I like the speed #1 both wingers get the zone & drop to Suzy, fun stuff.
I like size #2 also Anderson has the sand to helpout the two young guys.
I like RHP #3 energizing the old pro’s, they’re slow but if Gally pots 30, lol.
I like the vet #4 Pearson showing the boys how an old pro plays

Love #1D vets with speed/offence & defence/grit
Love #2D Guhle can play with anyone but withBarron they have chemistry both 21yo
Love #3D Sandpaper bang & crash clear the net with a couple of cannons.

IMHO, Obviously lots of combinations & I’m a happy Hab fan today. I’d really like to see #1-2 F and #2D explode with the talent that’s obvious on those lines. Let’s Go Baby
Cheers.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Would prefer Pez to Ylonen on that fourth line.

Ylonen brings nothing to me on a fourth line.
Well, he can earn his way up the lineup because we just sent a guy to the minors that looked better than he did and we can lump RHP into the same category. I have a feeling there will be plenty of changing parts on this year's team, less loyalty to vets than in previous years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Trying not to lose my mind but why the f*** is Monahan playing with these two garbages??

Why is Gallagher even getting any PP time?

Get the Donkey away from Caufield and Suzuki.

The hell is this lineup??? What is going on here? Someone tell me this is a bad joke.
Anderson had a great preseason, so..............

Let's be honest though, the lines in Montreal are never never set in stone.................it would seem pairs are set in stone.
Wingers who are playing well, will be on one of those two top lines.
Suzuki/CC
Dach/Newhook

So right now it's The Power Donkey and Slaf starting there...

Reactions: Runner77

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
MSL on Arber Xhekaj on the 2nd PP unit: "his shot it’s heavy & it’s not just his slapshot - he has a heavy wrister that’s quick off his stick & he’s able to get it through. We’re anticipating Jacko being in the line-up we want to make sure he gets some reps & be that guy."

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Jake Evans spot should be ready to be taken too at some point. Kid is just not the same.

Barron making it in a top 4 is really funny.

Reactions: EveryDay

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think Gallagher would have more use than he has now if he didn't have the freak injuries on his hands. Everyone talked about how his play style wouldn't let him last in the NHL, and I think there's definitely truth to that, but I think the hand injuries really sealed the coffin for Gally's career.

He was an underrated player for a while. If we recall the JM years, there'd be stretches where the only way we'd win is Price SO + Gally goal for a 1-0 win. He willed garbage goals into existence. I love Gally and its one of the tragedies of hockey to not be able to put that player in a proper roster spot. Instead, gally gets shit on because he shouldn't have been a #1RW compared to others around the league. I think if he didn't have those hand injuries, he could contribute way more, even if its as a 4th liner. :(

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Jake Evans spot should be ready to be taken too at some point. Kid is just not the same.

Barron making it in a top 4 is really funny.
I agree and one guy I would like to see at 4th line center just for one game is Gignac to see if he can handle it

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
pretty much what I expected. Only surprised by Pearson vs RHP but it's not like RHP had an awesome camp (only 1 point)

Can't wait for Dvo to be back so Mony can move on the first line.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Lines at practice:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Newhook-Dach-Slafkovsky
Pearson-Monahan-Gallagher
RHP-Evans-Ylönen

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Kovacevic
Harris-Xhekaj
Barron in rotation

Montembault
Allen
Primeau

23 man roster:

Anderson
Caufield
Dach
Evans
Gallagher
RHP
Monahan
Newhook
Pearson
Pezzetta
Slafkovský
Suzuki
Ylönen
Barron
Guhle
Harris
Kovacevic
Matheson
Savard
Xhekaj
Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

What stands out to me right away: that 3rd line is in the conversation for the slowest line in all of hockey.
What a horrible line.
There is no way that line stays intact once Dvorak returns.

Crap I'd use seven D right now with Monahan playing in the top 6 RHP and Gallagher playing with rotating centers.

Are they going to be able to touch the puck against the Leafs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
St. Louis spoke about Anderson on how he might be a better fit on top line now vs the past... said his work off the puck has improved along with his understanding of balance on the ice and that he can't just skate where he wants to skate, he needs to go where the game needs him to go. Was overall complimentary of him in his comments today and thinks his game has progressed positively since last year.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
St. Louis spoke about Anderson on how he might be a better fit on top line now vs the past... said his work off the puck has improved along with his understanding of balance on the ice and that he can't just skate where he wants to skate, he needs to go where the game needs him to go. Was overall complimentary of him in his comments today and thinks his game has progressed positively since last year.
Yeah I don't mind the top6 to start the season, I just feel that the 3rd line is just too slow to be working.

I would prefer something like this:

Pearson-Monahan-Ylonen
RHP-Evans-Gallagher

The top 6 is sooooo young!

22-24-29
22-22-19

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
I like Arber but i'd rather see Kaiden getting #2 pp minute instead. Also why is Gally on the pp? Put Rhp there instead and Anderson will screan the goalie.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Lines at practice:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Newhook-Dach-Slafkovsky
Pearson-Monahan-Gallagher
RHP-Evans-Ylönen

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Kovacevic
Harris-Xhekaj
Barron in rotation

Montembault
Allen
Primeau

23 man roster:

Anderson
Caufield
Dach
Evans
Gallagher
RHP
Monahan
Newhook
Pearson
Pezzetta
Slafkovský
Suzuki
Ylönen
Barron
Guhle
Harris
Kovacevic
Matheson
Savard
Xhekaj
Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

What stands out to me right away: that 3rd line is in the conversation for the slowest line in all of hockey.
Switch Gallagher and RHP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad