Speculation: 2022 Offseason Roster Discussion

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
This team will be such a tire fire , the youngsters should not stay long periods in Nhl (unless they are playing that good). Give all the kids on defence maybe 15 games each at the very least. Reichel maybe 3o games in Nhl and the rest of the year in AHL.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think we sign free agents on one-years and sell them for a couple of seasons at least. I don't think they will make a big splash in UFA for quality talent unless there is a massive fish to be had (ala Matthews, Aho, etc.).

You need to be quite bad and collect 3 or more top 10 picks to have a serious shot at it these days. Or be masterful at identifying high-quality talent that is underperforming and then bring them into a system where they can flourish, much like St. Louis did on their run with ROR, Bozak, Schenn.

Yep, I agree they don't go to Phase-2 of the rebuild for at least 3 years unless a Matthews level player essentially drops in their lap - and there are only a few Matthews level players in the league so that probability is extremely low.

With the exception of the 1st overall pick, maybe sometimes the 2nd and 3rd overall picks - most top-10 draft picks require 1, 2 or sometimes 3 years to be ready to play in the NHL, and lower 1st round picks generally more likely to spend their D+1 and D+2 developing in lower leagues. Therefore the timing of when these prospects arrive at the NHL should dictate when the Hawks transition from Phase-1 of the rebuild (trying to be bad for higher draft picks) to Phase-2 (trying to build a winning team). UFA acquisition is probably Phase-3 which is complete the rebuild be adding a couple stud players to the young core group of players.

That's my ideal, anyway.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If we get #2 and get Michkov we will be waiting minimum of 3 years before he even comes here unless we pull some Fedorov level shit and sneak him on a plane like its the 80s again. If we have to wait just for him to come that would be more years of being at the bottom hoarding talent

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If we get #2 and get Michkov we will be waiting minimum of 3 years before he even comes here unless we pull some Fedorov level shit and sneak him on a plane like its the 80s again. If we have to wait just for him to come that would be more years of being at the bottom hoarding talent
BTW I think that Fantilli will end up going #2 because of the wait.
Waiting for Michkov isn't the worst thing for the reason you stated.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'd rather have Nazar than Eichel.

Eichel is locker room cancer, doesn't fit the rebuild timeline, and his ability to stay healthy long term is still a big question mark.
That's a fair point but it's unlikely that Nazar is ever as good as Eichel.

I can't help but wonder if the FO goes in a different direction if they had Eichel, DeBrincat and Jones to build around.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
For sure, but less baggage and he fits our plans.
If it wasn't for his baggage, Eichel would still be a Sabre.

I can't help but think of trying to build a team around Eichel, DeBrincat and Jones.

Once they went all in last year, I would have traded Kirby and Reichel to get my hands on Eichel without having to give up the 2023 1st.

This time last year, the Hawks really didn't have anything special in the system.

Had they made that trade, I almost guarantee you that this offseason is different.

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
If it wasn't for his baggage, Eichel would still be a Sabre.

I can't help but think of trying to build a team around Eichel, DeBrincat and Jones.

Once they went all in last year, I would have traded Kirby and Reichel to get my hands on Eichel without having to give up the 2023 1st.

This time last year, the Hawks really didn't have anything special in the system.

Had they made that trade, I almost guarantee you that this offseason is different.
With what money?! That's a terrible trade. This team NEEDED a rebuild. Not Eichel.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
You wanted Stanley to bury the team even deeper?
I’d rather have Adam Boqvist and Cole Sillinger than Seth Jones, don’t think they would have finished as low as they did this summer but they also have had Korchinski without having to do the DeBrincat deal...

So no SJones trade and we’d still have DeBrincat and Boqvist plus Sillinger and Korchinski...

Nolan Allan would have been our second round pick along with Colton Dach

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I’d rather have Adam Boqvist and Cole Sillinger than Seth Jones, don’t think they would have finished as low as they did this summer but they also have had Korchinski without having to do the DeBrincat deal...

So no SJones trade and we’d still have DeBrincat and Boqvist plus Sillinger and Korchinski...

Nolan Allan would have been our second round pick along with Colton Dach
They probably would have traded DeBrincat anyway, and also they'd have been worse without Jones and Fleury.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Think about this time last year when Eichel was available. Beaudin had way more value back then. It probably would have taken Reichel too, but none of those players are likely to ever be as good as Eichel.
Can you define “way more value?” Like instead of being worth a bag of used pucks he was worth a bag of new pucks?

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad