Speculation: 2022 Offseason Roster Discussion

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
With the Hawks being eliminated, I think now is a good time to start the offseason roster discussion.

What does everyone think about Kubalik potentially being non-tendered?

I think that Strome has played his way into getting qualified.

(Given his scratch today)

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Said it elsewhere, but here's my early predictions:

- Toews will be traded with retention for another bad contract (that expires in 1-2 years) and a small return.
- Kane will be traded with retention for multiple 1sts and higher end prospects.
- The word 'Cat' starts with C, and that's exactly where the C will go after Toews and Kane leave.
- Strome will be re-signed for 1 or 2 years (thinking 2), to make the new Cap happy and to hope he turns into a low end 1C/high end 2C like his brother Ryan.
- Kubalik isn't re-signed.
- Dach will be for at most $3m per for 3 years
- C. Jones, R. Johnson, Lafferty, and Lankinen will all be re-signed for close to league minimum.
- Hawks will try to take on some bad contracts with all the cap space they'll have next season, so look for few bad players added to the team in exchange for futures; potentially Mrazek from Toronto (as a good example) if Dubas is done whining yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTC

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017

- Toews will be traded with retention for another bad contract (that expires in 1-2 years) and a small return.
- Kane will be traded with retention for multiple 1sts and higher end prospects.
- The word 'Cat' starts with C, and that's exactly where the C will go after Toews and Kane leave.
- Strome will be re-signed for 1 or 2 years (thinking 2), to make the new Cap happy and to hope he turns into a low end 1C/high end 2C like his brother Ryan.
- C. Jones, R. Johnson, Lafferty, and Lankinen will all be re-signed for close to league minimum.
- Hawks will try to take on some bad contracts with all the cap space they'll have next season, so look for few bad players added to the team in exchange for futures; potentially Mrazek from Toronto (as a good example) if Dubas is done whining yet.
I like most of those moves in a vaccuum. The big question mark to me is Seth Jones.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
What’s the point of not giving Kubalik at least a one year extension? Try to pump his value and get something for him at the trade deadline. Even if it’s a small return. I’m disappointed in his season like most but letting him walk for nothing doesn’t seem like a smart idea. It’s only money and we will have plenty of cap space. So what if his QO is 4M.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Seems about right... though I don't think Kane asks for a trade.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What’s the point of not giving Kubalik at least a one year extension? Try to pump his value and get something for him at the trade deadline. Even if it’s a small return. I’m disappointed in his season like most but letting him walk for nothing doesn’t seem like a smart idea. It’s only money and we will have plenty of cap space. So what if his QO is 4M.
Because Kubalik at 4M isn't tradeable, and 4M can be better allocated towards a UFA that has better deadline flip potential.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Because Kubalik at 4M isn't tradeable, and 4M can be better allocated towards a UFA that has better deadline flip potential.

At the deadline their would be plenty of teams that could fit him at 50% retained looking for depth scoring. I could also see teams like the Devils, Sabres, Ducks, Senators etc. looking to take the next step trading for his rights if he’d sign a multi year contract. If your Kubalik you probably take the guaranteed money than going to arbitration and betting on yourself.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
At the deadline their would be plenty of teams that could fit him at 50% retained looking for depth scoring. I could also see teams like the Devils, Sabres, Ducks, Senators etc. looking to take the next step trading for his rights if he’d sign a multi year contract.
Kubalik has regressed every year since his rookie season.

Why will next year be any different?

Use the 4M to sign a UFA that is guaranteed to bring something back at the deadline. Kubalik is a gamble.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

Use the 4M to sign a UFA that is guaranteed to bring something back at the deadline. Kubalik is a gamble.

I get your point but it’s pretty slim pickings looking at the list of UFAs. Do you have anyone in mind?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Chicago is going to be so bad next year, there's no point in having Seth Jones on the team. It's ridiculous. The trade was gross, but is now a sunk cost. See if we can trade Jones for a 2022 or 2023 1st and cut our losses.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

He has not. Even though he scored fewer goals in 2021 than he did in 2020 he was on pace for 55 pts.

This is his first bad year and he was on pace for 50+ pts each of his first two seasons. Kubalik's shooting percentage was ridiculously high his rookie year and is low this year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Chicago is going to be so bad next year, there's no point in having Seth Jones on the team. It's ridiculous. The trade was gross, but is now a sunk cost. See if we can trade Jones for a 2022 or 2023 1st and cut our losses.
I agree with this. Some other GM besides Bowman would have given him that contract.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I get your point but it’s pretty slim pickings looking at the list of UFAs. Do you have anyone in mind?
There was another thread about UFA flip targets and this was a list I put out there:

Will Butcher, Markus Nutivaara, Ryan Murray, Troy Stetcher, Ilya Mikheyev, Maxim Mamin, Mason Marchment, Valeri Nichushkin, Andre Burakovsky, Evan Rodrigues, Calle Jarnkrok

Let's breakdown this list because not all of them will want to play for Chicago, or will necessarily be better than Kubalik.

Won't sign with Chicago: Valeri Nichuskin, Andre Burakovsky, Mason Marchment (they're too good to want to join a rebuild team)

Worse than Kubalik: Troy Stecher, Will Butcher, Ryan Murray (wouldn't be a better use of cap space than Kubalik)

So who's left?

1. Markus Nutivaara. He's been injured all year, but if he recovers with no lingering issues, he's a second pairing D man that's still pretty young.

2. Ilya Mikheyev. Solid middle six two way winger. Has had some injuries, but if healthy he's exactly the kind of player that would see a big boost in value playing a bigger role in Chicago.

3. Maxim Mamin. A good player, buried down the lineup of a stacked team. Easy boost candidate for Chicago.

4. Evan Rodrigues. Just had a breakthrough season.

5. Calle Jarnkrok. Classic vet UFA sign and flip candidate. Just got moved at the deadline for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th this year.

So yeah those would be the 5 to look at.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
There was another thread about UFA flip targets and this was a list I put out there:

Will Butcher, Markus Nutivaara, Ryan Murray, Troy Stetcher, Ilya Mikheyev, Maxim Mamin, Mason Marchment, Valeri Nichushkin, Andre Burakovsky, Evan Rodrigues, Calle Jarnkrok

Let's breakdown this list because not all of them will want to play for Chicago, or will necessarily be better than Kubalik.

Won't sign with Chicago: Valeri Nichuskin, Andre Burakovsky, Mason Marchment (they're too good to want to join a rebuild team)

Worse than Kubalik: Troy Stecher, Will Butcher, Ryan Murray (wouldn't be a better use of cap space than Kubalik)

So who's left?

1. Markus Nutivaara. He's been injured all year, but if he recovers with no lingering issues, he's a second pairing D man that's still pretty young.

2. Ilya Mikheyev. Solid middle six two way winger. Has had some injuries, but if healthy he's exactly the kind of player that would see a big boost in value playing a bigger role in Chicago.

3. Maxim Mamin. A good player, buried down the lineup of a stacked team. Easy boost candidate for Chicago.

4. Evan Rodrigues. Just had a breakthrough season.

5. Calle Jarnkrok. Classic vet UFA sign and flip candidate. Just got moved at the deadline for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th this year.

So yeah those would be the 5 to look at.
From your 5, non is better than Kubalik in O. Mikheyev and Jarnkrok are 2-way forwards and excellent but Mikheyev is in his prime so I doubt he sign with us. Mamin is defensive forward. Rodrigues has one good season. Nutivaara is just bad.

Jarnkrok and maybe Mamin could have good future in Blackhawks. Still I would probably sign Kubalik simply because he is devil we know.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
No , I think If #5 wouldn't gave got hurt her may have been gone for a 1ST
I think if they had any offer for a first they would have held onto Hagel. They needed to get quality draft capital and had no offers for any of the players they wanted to move so had to bite the bullet and move the asset with value.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The correct answer for UFA flip targets is the best of what's left. You aren't flipping guys you gave term and that's what most will be looking for. Keep your cap space open so you can offer a decent wage and ice time so they get another shot next year somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad