NFL: 2022 NFL regular season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Contract negotiations are going to be fun.

I honestly think the Ravens are heading to a point where things are just going to get blown up whether they like it or not. The Lamar stuff coming to a head, Harbaugh clearly being past his expiration date in the city, problems with the roster at skill positions.
Lamar not being able to finish a season for the second year in a row doesn’t speak as well to getting the deal he wants as it did 6 weeks ago.

Reactions: Voight

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lamar not being able to finish a season for the second year in a row doesn’t speak as well to getting the deal he wants as it did 6 weeks ago.

It really doesn’t help the Ravens either.

They are nothing without Lamar as we’ve seen 2 years in a row

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

No excuses for MIA.

They didn't do anything to stop Wilson in the 1st meeting. (granted Breece Hall was a force that game and made Zach's job much easier) At least Flacco is a statue so the defense will have a decent chance to have the kind of game they had last year when the defense led them on that 7 game winning streak. And it better be all hands on deck. I will rage if players sit this out without the very best reason.

Coach Nerd better emphasize the running game & if its working do NOT go away from it. Its going to come down to whether or not Skylar or whoever is behind center does not give the ball away. If they lose the turnover battle again (they are -5 the last 2 weeks) they are cooked.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

Flacco now working with a makeshift OL. If the Dolphins can't take advantage of this I may be removing my avatar & joining those putting Nerd on the Hotseat. NO EXCUSES anymore. This game is there for the taking no matter who is behind center. That said, I am still pondering who to take in the upset contest because it was for sure going to be the Jets until all this news came out this morning.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
WTF am I supposed to do? it's like thursday 6pm and no pregame on... This is bull shit.
You could read this story of Jadeveon Clowney ripping the Browns where lots of dirt flies. Like how we learn in a game against the Ravens Clowney refused to play other than on third downs.

As a result of Clowney burning bridges before he's across them, he's been sent home today.

Last edited:

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
No way that Miami loses to a team with Flacco under center. If that happens then heads should roll. Namely Boyer's. I would give the HC and Grier some more time though. But knowing Ross that ain't likely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It really doesn’t help the Ravens either.

They are nothing without Lamar as we’ve seen 2 years in a row
Helps no one. But this does also justify the Ravens position of not wanting to hand a fully guaranteed contract for 5 years in length to someone who will have missed like 9 or 10 games over the past 2 seasons. Availability over the duration of the contract is a concern for them.

But I don’t think Lamar is coming off his position either since he is representing himself.

Think Allen and Mahomes got 3 years average salary as guaranteed. Typically once the base salaries get too high the team does a restructure after year 3 to bring that down so the contract doesn’t last the full 5/6 year term. But, Lamar wants the watson structure.

Could Baltimore tag then trade Jackson? Might be their only play if the contract standoff lasts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It sounds like the Saints and Michael Thomas have made a path to restricting that will pave the way for him to be traded.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It sounds like the Saints and Michael Thomas have made a path to restricting that will pave the way for him to be traded.
Is Thomas going to return some SB money? He’s due to count $26.1 mill in dead cap for 2023 if dealt or cut. His cash for 2023 is low at a total Of $2.1 mill between Base, Roster and a workout bonuses. If dealt, I’d expect Thomas to sign a new contract with the acquiring team. His cash due for 2024 is ridiculous at over $50 mill so he’s not getting that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Helps no one. But this does also justify the Ravens position of not wanting to hand a fully guaranteed contract for 5 years in length to someone who will have missed like 9 or 10 games over the past 2 seasons. Availability over the duration of the contract is a concern for them.

But I don’t think Lamar is coming off his position either since he is representing himself.

Think Allen and Mahomes got 3 years average salary as guaranteed. Typically once the base salaries get too high the team does a restructure after year 3 to bring that down so the contract doesn’t last the full 5/6 year term. But, Lamar wants the watson structure.

Could Baltimore tag then trade Jackson? Might be their only play if the contract standoff lasts.
i just don't see the ravens parting ways with lamar. they know 100% how rare franchise QBs are and do they really want to go into a QB carousel? it's either pay him or draft a QB, uproot the entire offense that's based around lamar, and start from scratch

i'm honestly fine with either route, but i really don't see the ravens NOT paying him

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i just don't see the ravens parting ways with lamar. they know 100% how rare franchise QBs are and do they really want to go into a QB carousel? it's either pay him or draft a QB, uproot the entire offense that's based around lamar, and start from scratch

i'm honestly fine with either route, but i really don't see the ravens NOT paying him
They are not letting him hit free agency. They would tag him to retain his rights and then deal him if it came to it. The question is the term of rhe guaranteed money. Cousins when he signed it was for 3 years of fully guaranteed money but that was very similar to the guaranteed money that Jimmy and Carr signed around the same time at an AAV of $25-28 mill over 5 years. Just that they were eligible to get cut before the deal ended with small cap hits.

Lamar wants 5 years. For a guy who will be missing game 10 in 2 seasons can you blame Baltimore for not wanting to guarantee years 4&5 right now?

Wow ups the ravens do $50 mill per for 3 years fully guaranteed? I think they would as that’s the going rate to guarantee over 3 years. Obviously there is a difference between fully guaranteed and guaranteed money. Devil is always in the details.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is Thomas going to return some SB money? He’s due to count $26.1 mill in dead cap for 2023 if dealt or cut. His cash for 2023 is low at a total Of $2.1 mill between Base, Roster and a workout bonuses. If dealt, I’d expect Thomas to sign a new contract with the acquiring team. His cash due for 2024 is ridiculous at over $50 mill so he’s not getting that.
It converts to a roster bonus on the third day of the league year.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Cowboys literally forced Hurts to come back and play through a throwing shoulder injury. That’s wild. The division was over 3 weeks ago.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cowboys literally forced Hurts to come back and play through a throwing shoulder injury. That’s wild. The division was over 3 weeks ago.
Phi going up against NYG backups in key areas. NYG want to get through the game without injury. Philly needs to take care of business early with Hurts so that they can take him out in the second half and run out the clock in the second half.

Dallas has to determine whether they want to play all the way in this game. As SF has the edge for the bye over Dallas. Dallas would be securing a home game with a win and Phi loss.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Phi going up against NYG backups in key areas. NYG want to get through the game without injury. Philly needs to take care of business early with Hurts so that they can take him out in the second half and run out the clock in the second half.

Dallas has to determine whether they want to play all the way in this game. As SF has the edge for the bye over Dallas. Dallas would be securing a home game with a win and Phi loss.
Crazy that if the Eagles took care of business against the Cowboys a couple of weeks ago, Hurts wouldn’t be rushing back, and their injuries wouldn’t be piling up.

Who woulda thought the NYG Vs PHI game would have the Giants resting their starters

Sorry, Philly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Crazy that if the Eagles took care of business against the Cowboys a couple of weeks ago, Hurts wouldn’t be rushing back, and their injuries wouldn’t be piling up.

Who woulda thought the NYG Vs PHI game would have the Giants resting their starters

Sorry, Philly.
I’m not sure teams like having their starters out for 3 weeks between games. Too much rust. I’d look to start them but pull them in the second half. Unless they had something nagging and thus should be resting.

Philly could have beaten NO and could sit guys this week and have gotten a higher draft pick from NO in e process and failed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think they missed the boat on that. They had a chance when the rumours of him wanting out first started and IIRC, people were talking about the Ravens being interested. They probably could've gotten a day two pick at that point. Now they'll likely get nothing other than him taking up cap space while being elsewhere. Seems like a release is coming:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think they missed the boat on that. They had a chance when the rumours of him wanting out first started and IIRC, people were talking about the Ravens being interested. They probably could've gotten a day two pick at that point. Now they'll likely get nothing other than him taking up cap space while being elsewhere. Seems like a release is coming:

You’re right, it should have never gone on. I’m not really sure why it did from either side. It never made sense.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Getting few reps would be benefittal to Hurts.

If he missed this game you’d be looking at a 5 week of strecth of no playing and going against the Cowboys most likely

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, they weren’t going to sit Hurts for that long. If he plays today, he was always going to. If he was going to play hurt, he would’ve last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad