NFL: 2022 NFL regular season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing to use a day 3 pick or even a 3rd rounder as a flyer on a guy and hope you can develop him vs using a first or second round pick in which you are committed.

In 2021 the Bucs took Trask in round 2 vs another position and I don’t think he has dressed for a game yet. Is he going to be the expected starter in 2023 when Brady leaves after the season? Texans took Mills and at leas they given him an opportunity to play and see what they have. Mond in round 3, early for cut a year later.

For the Bucs, Trask pick seems like a waste given their needs at WR and OL due to health this season and last. Or CB when injuries piled up last season.
The Saints did an extensive amount of research before drafting on Garret Grayson. Zero NFL snaps.

Although they were also targeting Mahomes, could you imagine if that dude had to sit and wait for Brees to retire? Sitting and waiting for the Chiefs to be done with Alex Smith probably cost the Chiefs another Super Bowl.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Saints did an extensive amount of research before drafting on Garret Grayson. Zero NFL snaps.

Although they were also targeting Mahomes, could you imagine if that dude had to sit and wait for Brees to retire? Sitting and waiting for the Chiefs to be done with Alex Smith probably cost the Chiefs another Super Bowl.
I think it cost them vs NE in Mahomes first season as a starter. I do think Mahomes benefited sitting behind smith but I think like Kap in SF that Reid should have made the switch to Mahomes during his rookie after week 10 to 12.

Would have given Mahomes one extra playoffs before his first year as a starter where he struggled in the first half vs NE in the playoffs.

Grayson in round 3 is a flyer type pick in 2015. Unless he really impresses you aren’t giving him a shot. Kind of have to if he’s a first or second rounder.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it cost them vs NE in Mahomes first season as a starter. I do think Mahomes benefited sitting behind smith but I think like Kap in SF that Reid should have made the switch to Mahomes during his rookie after week 10 to 12.

Would have given Mahomes one extra playoffs before his first year as a starter where he struggled in the first half vs NE in the playoffs.

Grayson in round 3 is a flyer type pick in 2015. Unless he really impresses you aren’t giving him a shot. Kind of have to if he’s a first or second rounder.
I think it's pretty obvious Mahomes didn't need to be sitting. And if the Chiefs were worse, or Smith got hurt, he wouldn't have. They wasted a year because they did what they thought they're supposed to do, but that won't be what will be written in the history books. That's part of what bothered Rodgers so much about drafting Jordan Love, because he has his own lost time he still thinks he has to make up for, and I bet he thinks the same about Love.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Jaguars are on the cusp of the playoffs. They have been rewarded with their first appearance in a non-TNF package national TV game in 11 years, they will host the Titans in a special Saturday edition of Monday Night Football which can put them in the playoffs if they win.

With how marketable Trevor Lawrence is becoming, the Jaguars should play at Cleveland on Thanksgiving night next year, the Browns also having a Clemson alum at QB.

The Thanksgiving afternoon games should be Denver at Detroit and LA Rams at Dallas, which would be the Lions and Cowboys hosting the home opponents on their schedules with the longest active Thanksgiving droughts. Cleveland has the longest drought of the remaining 28 teams, and Jacksonville is the opponent on their schedule with the longest drought, having yet to appear on the holiday.

This should be standard for future Thanksgiving slates.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The Jaguars are on the cusp of the playoffs. They have been rewarded with their first appearance in a non-TNF package national TV game in 11 years, they will host the Titans in a special Saturday edition of Monday Night Football which can put them in the playoffs if they win.

With how marketable Trevor Lawrence is becoming, the Jaguars should play at Cleveland on Thanksgiving night next year, the Browns also having a Clemson alum at QB.

The Thanksgiving afternoon games should be Denver at Detroit and LA Rams at Dallas, which would be the Lions and Cowboys hosting the home opponents on their schedules with the longest active Thanksgiving droughts. Cleveland has the longest drought of the remaining 28 teams, and Jacksonville is the opponent on their schedule with the longest drought, having yet to appear on the holiday.

So to enhance and promote TLaw on a national holiday where families are together, your suggestion is to put him up against...DeShaun Watson and the Cleveland Browns, because Watson is a Clemson alum and the Browns haven't been on Thanksgiving in years.

I have no words.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That’s why I always say it: you draft a QB, you gotta get him on the field. You’ve committed, and if he’s not on the field, you wasted your time then and wasting more of it later. Aaron Rodgers is an exception, not the rule.

This is why I’ve never advocated the Saints drafting a QB despite hearing how they had to every year. Including last year. Especially last year.

Yeah, I'm sure Alex Smith was a great teammate and schooled Mahomes in some ways, but I'd say him coming out and throwing 50 is more on an indication that he should have been starting the year before instead that sitting for one year was all that beneficial to him.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This stuff with Wentz makes me wonder what if he doesn’t get hurt in 2017, in the sense of whether or not he chokes in that playoffs.
It does feel like that injury and Foles winning the Super Bowl irrevocably changed his career, a Sliding Doors type moment. Nothing but matching his play that season and winning his own Super Bowl would have been good enough in Philly.

Conversely I wonder what happens with Wentz if Foles loses that first playoff game against the Falcons, and losing him was clearly the reason they don't win the Super Bowl?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure Alex Smith was a great teammate and schooled Mahomes in some ways, but I'd say him coming out and throwing 50 is more on an indication that he should have been starting the year before instead that sitting for one year was all that beneficial to him.
He could have sat for like 1/2 to 2/3 of the season if the coaching staff wanted to ensure they reeled him in so that he wouldn’t become an interception machine like Favre who was a comp for Mahomes. They drafted him cause they knew they needed more out of the QB position than what Smith could give them. Once KC got behind with smith they were in trouble.

Reactions: NJDevs26

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Reed probably knows the pulse of the players better than any of us.. Myself I'd trust his decisions.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I want Lawrence and Watson to develop a Brady VS. Manning-style rivalry. It would lead not only to drama in the Clemson area but also greater Atlanta where both played HS football.
you’re way further off reservation than normal if you think anyone’s going to give a shit about any of that by putting deshaun watson on thanksgiving. maybe they can have jon gruden do one night only guest commentator and thom brennaman on pxp.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So to enhance and promote TLaw on a national holiday where families are together, your suggestion is to put him up against...DeShaun Watson and the Cleveland Browns, because Watson is a Clemson alum and the Browns haven't been on Thanksgiving in years.

I have no words.

No no, he is on to something here, you can set the rivalry up so easy it almost writes itself.

Lawrence is a pretty boy with the long hair, from behind could probably be mistaken for a woman, you do a vignette where Watson is at the Jags stadium before a game and walks into a room and sees Lawrence from behind and thinks to himself "Time for a Massage". He creeps up behind Lawrence to get things started and Lawrence spins around to see Watson is very happy to see him, and a rivalry is born

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
No no, he is on to something here, you can set the rivalry up so easy it almost writes itself.

Lawrence is a pretty boy with the long hair, from behind could probably be mistaken for a woman, you do a vignette where Watson is at the Jags stadium before a game and walks into a room and sees Lawrence from behind and thinks to himself "Time for a Massage". He creeps up behind Lawrence to get things started and Lawrence spins around to see Watson is very happy to see him, and a rivalry is born
KEEP GOING I'M ALMOST THERE CAN YOU CHOKE ME A LITTLE*

*this is not a Bengals choking reference

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

I'm sure he won't see any snaps on sunday but...f*** me running, this is what things have come to?

If neck size determined wins, Glennon would make Tom Brady look like a pop warner player.

I'd bet everything I own that you are going to see Glennon Sunday. You know Skylar is going to have a bloody finger or some other freak injury early in the game. Its the Dolphins QB way. :cry: I just want to know what ****wit in the front office or coaching staff though Giraffe-Neck was the best option out there. :facepalm:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'd bet everything I own that you are going to see Glennon Sunday. You know Skylar is going to have a bloody finger or some other freak injury early in the game. Its the Dolphins QB way. :cry: I just want to know what ****wit in the front office or coaching staff though Giraffe-Neck was the best option out there. :facepalm:

I am so sorry how this season went for you, I had much hope the Dolphins would've clinched a playoff spot by now.

here's hoping.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If they run Glennon over Thompson (he's looked raw admittedly but has shown flashes) i demand somebody's head.

I don't care who. McDaniel is smart enough to know Glennon isn't winning you shit. Especially coming into his system on like 4 days notice tops. Glennon was abhorrent for the Giants last year to the point he shouldn't have ever gotten another NFL gig.

You ride with Thompson and if he sucks? Oh well, he's a young'in who needs to learn anyway.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If they run Glennon over Thompson (he's looked raw admittedly but has shown flashes) i demand somebody's head.

I don't care who. McDaniel is smart enough to know Glennon isn't winning you shit. Especially coming into his system on like 4 days notice tops. Glennon was abhorrent for the Giants last year to the point he shouldn't have ever gotten another NFL gig.

You ride with Thompson and if he sucks? Oh well, he's a young'in who needs to learn anyway.
you better not demand glennon's head because the only one that can reach glennon's head is davis mills

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Bob Sutton and that defense is what cost the Chiefs against NE. And Dee Ford lining up offside. And the horrendous roughing the passer they gave to Brady. Mahomes had a tough first half against a BB team, that can happen to any QB no matter how long they'd been starting.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Contract negotiations are going to be fun.

I honestly think the Ravens are heading to a point where things are just going to get blown up whether they like it or not. The Lamar stuff coming to a head, Harbaugh clearly being past his expiration date in the city, problems with the roster at skill positions.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad