2022 draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Considering the age of the players I'm wondering if Chara, Palffy, Gaborik, Stastny and Demitra just went around and had a bunch of bastard children all over the country. This is the best crop of Slovaks since the mid to late 90's.

So many skilled forwards on this team. I like it when they are good, they have gave us some fun players.

Mesar is really fun to watch, he kind of reminds me of Necas. Repcik is going to the WHL, curious to see how he does there. Could see him having a big season. Slafovsky is a big guy with some really nice skill.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So many skilled forwards on this team. I like it when they are good, they have gave us some fun players.

Mesar is really fun to watch, he kind of reminds me of Necas. Repcik is going to the WHL, curious to see how he does there. Could see him having a big season. Slafovsky is a big guy with some really nice skill.

I'm not sure what to make of Slafkovsky. When he was on he was ON. But there were a lot of times where he was mostly invisible during the game. It was very Franzen-esque. Whenever I'd watch Slovakia I kept wondering why Slafkovsky couldn't play like that most shifts.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Quick poll for those regularly watching all these 2022 kids:

How many centers do you think are on track to be worth a top 10 pick?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Quick poll for those regularly watching all these 2022 kids:

How many centers do you think are on track to be worth a top 10 pick?

Right now it looks like 5 should be a pretty easy projection. Dont know a lot about this year yet necessarily but Wright, Lambert, Savoie, Cooley and McGroaty all look like top 10 guys, really all borderline top 5 guys. Obviously some may fall out but their spots could also be taken by other centers as well

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2022 NHL Draft Rankings: An Early Look - Last Word On Sports
2022 NHL Draft Rankings Part 2: 6-10 - Last Word on Sports
2022 NHL Draft Rankings Part 3: 11-15 - Last Word on Sports

Some take from here:

1. Shane Wright, Centre, Right-handed
2. Brad Lambert, Centre, Right-handed

3. Ivan Miroshnichenko, winger, Right-handed
4. Simon Nemec, Defence, Right-handed
5. Matthew Savoie, Centre, Right-handed
6. Logan Cooley, Centre, Left-handed
7. Conor Geekie, Centre, Left-handed

8. David Jiricek, Defence, Right-handed
9. Danila Yurov, Winger, Left-handed
10. Elias Salomonsson, Defence, Right-handed
11. Juraj Slafkovsky, Winger, Left-handed

So lots of valuable right-handed defencemen, others will maybe value this time, over Centers.

And some Center is gonna fall to us. Or maybe we get lucky and win 1st or 2nd.

On some other rankings, there was Center Rutger McGroarty also high ranked. Ryan Greene and Joakim Kemell too. We'll see if someone will make push in ranks at next season. Everything in still open.

Team won't be enough bad to tank for Wright or Lambert, that's for sure. Sabres will get one of them for almost sure.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
People sleeping on Ostlund

Nah fam. Just by his showing at the Hlinka he looks like a 20-40 pick. He looked good against Germany and USA but was only OK against Finland and Slovakia. I liked the kid but Ohgren was the best player on Sweden followed by Odelius and Bystedt.

On The Athletic podcast Pronman (barf) talked about how when people went to watch Simon Robertsson for the 2021 draft they walked away more impressed by Salomonsson, but that he had a pretty bad tournament despite being a first pairing defenseman. I really didn't like that kid's decision making and play on the puck.

Also Joakim Kemell is a guy to keep an eye on. Pronman mentioned he might sneak into the top 10.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nah fam. Just by his showing at the Hlinka he looks like a 20-40 pick. He looked good against Germany and USA but was only OK against Finland and Slovakia. I liked the kid but Ohgren was the best player on Sweden followed by Odelius and Bystedt.

On The Athletic podcast Pronman (barf) talked about how when people went to watch Simon Robertsson for the 2021 draft they walked away more impressed by Salomonsson, but that he had a pretty bad tournament despite being a first pairing defenseman. I really didn't like that kid's decision making and play on the puck.

Also Joakim Kemell is a guy to keep an eye on. Pronman mentioned he might sneak into the top 10.

You don't make all your decisions based on 1 tournament.

Reactions: Killerjas

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

More importantly, there is a TON of development time between now and draft day. I like to think of the Hlinka as setting a sort of base metric for players. Your performance at the tournament is important, but far less important than the improvement you show beyond your play at the tournament.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I seem to be in the minority as I don't see his name pop up much, but Nathan Gaucher seems like a great pick for us if we end up in the 5-10 range. A 6'3 200lb right handed center. He led his Q team in scoring as a 17 year old this year AND was nominated for best defensive forward...pretty impressive stuff.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I know this. I'm going to keep an eye on Ostlund over the course of the year but from just the Hlinka he doesn't appear to have the kind of high end skill that would elevate him to top 10 pick status in comparison to some other centers that were at the tournament. I'm not saying he's a bad player but when comparing skill to some other top Swedish forwards from the last 2 drafts Ostlund is definitely a step below.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
This past year, I felt like Edvinsson was a pick that was sort of tailor-made for the Red Wings considering his position, club and league, and attributes as a player (size, mobility, competitiveness, etc.) Because of McKenzie's lists I was a bit surprised he fell to us, but when he was on the board I had a pretty strong feeling he'd be the pick.

This coming year, I have some similar feelings about Conor Geekie. Centers with legitimate top six upside present the most glaring hole in our prospect pool. It's no secret that Draper was enamored with Kirby Dach, and I'd bet this productive 6'4 center out of the WHL is very much on our radar.

It's tough to guess where we pick before the season starts, but my money would be on that #6-10 range. Realistically, Shane Wright is long gone and, despite some potential shake ups in those top few picks, I'd bet that Lambert and Savoie are gone as well, alongside maybe a winger like Mirsosch/McGroarty and maybe a couple of the blueliners. In that scenario, I think Geekie is a name you could link with the Red Wings.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
People sleeping on Ostlund
I seem to be in the minority as I don't see his name pop up much, but Nathan Gaucher seems like a great pick for us if we end up in the 5-10 range. A 6'3 200lb right handed center. He led his Q team in scoring as a 17 year old this year AND was nominated for best defensive forward...pretty impressive stuff.

List getting longer...

McGroarty, Östlund, Gaucher, Kemell...

There are like 11 Centers available.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
List getting longer...

McGroarty, Östlund, Gaucher, Kemell...

There are like 11 Centers available.

Kemell is a winger.

I have seen some people question whether Lambert and Savoie are centers or wingers. I view them both as centers. But I believe hockeyprospect.com listed them both as wingers.

We should have plenty of options, regardless. Just not sure everyone will stick at center.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This past year, I felt like Edvinsson was a pick that was sort of tailor-made for the Red Wings considering his position, club and league, and attributes as a player (size, mobility, competitiveness, etc.) Because of McKenzie's lists I was a bit surprised he fell to us, but when he was on the board I had a pretty strong feeling he'd be the pick.

This coming year, I have some similar feelings about Conor Geekie. Centers with legitimate top six upside present the most glaring hole in our prospect pool. It's no secret that Draper was enamored with Kirby Dach, and I'd bet this productive 6'4 center out of the WHL is very much on our radar.

It's tough to guess where we pick before the season starts, but my money would be on that #6-10 range. Realistically, Shane Wright is long gone and, despite some potential shake ups in those top few picks, I'd bet that Lambert and Savoie are gone as well, alongside maybe a winger like Mirsosch/McGroarty and maybe a couple of the blueliners. In that scenario, I think Geekie is a name you could link with the Red Wings.

Morgan Geekie has a name that screams bust. I don't know anything about the guy but that name falls within the parameters of the Costco cell phone kiosk test.

Reactions: Ricelund

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kemell is a winger.

I have seen some people question whether Lambert and Savoie are centers or wingers. I view them both as wingers. But I believe hockeyprospect.com listed them both as wingers.

We should have plenty of options, regardless. Just not sure everyone will stick at center.

Why would Lambert be winger?

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Be on the lookout for Conor geekie, he has red wings pick written all over him and will likely be there at our pick barring some massive change. I think he can be an even better Kirby dach, he’s got a bigger frame and is still coming Into his own.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Morgan Geekie has a name that screams bust. I don't know anything about the guy but that name falls within the parameters of the Costco cell phone kiosk test.
He's talking about his brother, Conor. I think how Morgan does this season with the Kraken might impact Conor's draft position a little.

Also, I'm not gonna get as deep into prospects next draft. You can do all the research you want but in the end, teams are gonna be all over the board after the first round, Buium, Mazur, etc.

The Wings picked the Savage and Seattle picked Ottavaninen, so there's that, but I think I'm just gonna wait until after the draft then do research.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I think it's pretty much a shoe-in that we pick a C this draft, given both need and the talent available. There are some very good defenseman available too, which I think will allow us to pleasantly surprised with who we get in the top 10 or even top 12, no matter where we fall in that range.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it's pretty much a shoe-in that we pick a C this draft, given both need and the talent available. There are some very good defenseman available too, which I think will allow us to pleasantly surprised with who we get in the top 10 or even top 12, no matter where we fall in that range.

It looks like they could plan drafts to be connected on each other. Skipping centers and hoarding defence at 2021 creates a situation, where other 2022 defenceman takers could drop some quality centers for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retire91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad