2022 draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think that the third worst record is our floor this season (or ceiling, if you're a pro-tanker). Reminiscent of 2015, Buffalo and Arizona have decided not to ice NHL teams this year. Very cool.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We need a top-two pick, that'll solidify our centers down the middle for decades.

For Top2 pick, our chances are maybe 15%.

Team is 6th-7th worst in NHL, based on multiple estimations, not even near the biggest lottery probabilities. They are gonna have a good season, thanks to these summer moves, especially adding Seider and Leddy.

Our pick will most probably be somebody else than Wright, Lambert or Savoie, if any of them won't fall. "Surprise" picks, like Edvinsson and Seider were, but a Center this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This draft must be ALL about skilled forwards, in particular centers.

If we have 8 picks, at least 5 should be forwards and ideally 3 of those are centers.

If we can draft top 3 our rebuild through the draft could actually be almost complete.

Reactions: jfrank21 and lilidk

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The center crop looks good. You got Lambert, Wright, Savoie (will probably play on the wing), Hughes, Cooley, Ostlund and Persson.

All 1st round potential. Keep an eye out for Swedes Ostlund and Persson.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kemell with 3 points in 2 Liiga games so far. Finnish posters saying he looks quite a bit better than Lambert so far for JYP.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Definitely have a good chance at getting a top line center, even if they dont pick top 5. Conner Geekie is another name to watch outside of the names already mentioned so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't we usually get a pre-season list from McKenzie around this time?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The center crop looks good. You got Lambert, Wright, Savoie (will probably play on the wing), Hughes, Cooley, Ostlund and Persson.

All 1st round potential. Keep an eye out for Swedes Ostlund and Persson.

Time will tell, but I think you are probably overstating the number of NHL centers in that group (though some are playing center now).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Definitely have a good chance at getting a top line center, even if they dont pick top 5. Conner Geekie is another name to watch outside of the names already mentioned so far.

Nah, Wright is still the only sure fire top line center in the class. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect otherwise. Top line centers are rare birds.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Nah, Wright is still the only sure fire top line center in the class. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect otherwise. Top line centers are rare birds.
Rare, but not impossible. I'll take a Petterson, Monahan, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, or Couture level guy. In fact, looking at that 2011 draft, you almost hope it's that type of draft year in the top 10. It's hard but you have to hope Drapes and crew can identify the right guy.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Rare, but not impossible. I'll take a Petterson, Monahan, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, or Couture level guy. In fact, looking at that 2011 draft, you almost hope it's that type of draft year in the top 10. It's hard but you have to hope Drapes and crew can identify the right guy.
This is definitely going to be a draft where a bunch of 1st rounders should have major impact on their respective teams. Going fishing (tanking) for Wright is a fool's errand for Detroit if it means delaying the team's rebuild/development.

Reactions: jfrank21

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Some thoughts...
  • Interesting that he has Slafkovsky listed as a C
  • Interesting that he has Savoie listed at 5'8 3/4... I thought he was a bit bigger
  • I can understand liking Cooley that much, even though I don't think I would put him quite that high
  • I expect Yurov to drop despite being really talented because he's getting minimal minutes in the KHL (would love to try and take advantage)
  • I like the ranking of Haight... I think he will end up being an option for us with our first pick
  • I would have expected him to like Nazar more... or maybe that's just me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For Top2 pick, our chances are maybe 15%.

Team is 6th-7th worst in NHL, based on multiple estimations, not even near the biggest lottery probabilities. They are gonna have a good season, thanks to these summer moves, especially adding Seider and Leddy.

Our pick will most probably be somebody else than Wright, Lambert or Savoie, if any of them won't fall. "Surprise" picks, like Edvinsson and Seider were, but a Center this time.

Nothing about Edvinsson was a surprise.

Reactions: Gniwder

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
We need a center that is at least equal two but ideally a more offensively gifted than Larkin. I'd love Wright or the next Crosby/Malkin/McDavid, but you can win with two very solid 2 way centers. I'd like them to be more traditional than say Larkin is offensively for a center, as I think that would help our PP a lot.

As noted above I think if we can manage a : Petterson, Monahan, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, or Couture level guy, we will be good going forward. From a cap perspective unless you are getting someone Crosby/ McDavid level you are probably better off with the 70-80 point guy and more depth due to a lower cap hit. I really think Stevie is going for a Bruins/ Lightening hybrid model for his rebuild.

Reactions: jfrank21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad