2022 draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Slovakia beat Sweden today 4-3. The Slovak goalie got away with kicking his own net off the moorings to prevent the game tying goal at the end. All in all a pretty good game.

That Simon Nemec kid on Slovakia looks really damn good with the puck.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Eh...

Seattle is looking like the 1998 Nashville Predators. I am not a fan of how that team is built.

Columbus is another team we should do better than.
They lose Seth Jones and David Savard on defense. Added Jake Bean and Adam Boqvist? Those are definite downgrades.

They lost Cam Atkinson, a solid 2-way player that was always a threat shorthanded (he had 4 SHG last year) who also previously scored 41 and 35 goals for Jakub Voracek. Voracek has noticeably slowed down over the last couple of seasons, and has never been known as a two-way all-situations type of forward. This improves their powerplay but makes their PK worse, so it's kind of a wash.

And they got rid of Tortorella as coach and promoted one of his proteges. That's the wild card here, but I'm not seeing Columbus doing well. They're even thinner than Detroit at center and defense.

Torts was probably holding Columbus back at this point.
But down the middle, so weak.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is there a story you’d like to share for this part?
rs-stand-by-me01-4fe82db8-ca20-430c-8353-760337b644ba.jpg

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
2022 NHL Draft Ranking - The Early Look, July 8th, 2021 - HockeyProspect.com

HP's early ranking came out.

I'm not necessarily an HP-truther, but I do think they're a quality scouting service.

I feel a bit vindicated to see Chesley so high, I've had him at #3 for quite a while now. This board probably has (justified) blueline prospect fatigue, but he is a great player.

I think the Lambert ranking is an over-correction personally. Growing pains at the Liiga level in his D-1 don't really worry me, I still really covet the tools he brings to the table. You'll want to see a stronger year from him, sure, but he's still my #2 prospect.

On the other hand, I definitely get having Savoie out of the top 5 personally. Electric player, super fun to watch, but I've seen a lot folks project him as a 1C and I struggle to see that. I see the profile of a speedy top 6 RW personally. Still a great prospect, but I haven't unsubscribed from the Wright/Lambert/Savoie trio a while ago.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Here's a guy that is definitely worth a look. This kid can find the openings and shoot really accurately from in close and has terrific hands.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Oh, I called out several people for not having him on their early top 5 list.

Go look at the earlier parts of this thread.

Lol.

Can confirm, was called out.

I could deffo be talked into having Ivan over McGroarty and Savoie. Personally I still like Wright, Lambert, and Chesley more.

Haven't seen a ton of Yurov still, looks exciting though. Only so much time in the day to keep track of all these damn prospects while trying to maintain my life outside hfboards lol.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Oh, I called out several people for not having him on their early top 5 list.

Go look at the earlier parts of this thread.

Lol.

I saw. I mean, REALLY watch Miroshnichenko. The kid gives me young Ilya Kovalchuk vibes. I don't think he's going to be as talented but that's the style comparison that immediately pops when I watch his game. He is a tank that can stickhandle.

Also holy crap this Swedish team is as soft as a wheel of brie cheese left out in the sun. What happened to their viking spirit? I'm seeing them give up on plays when there's a Russian leaning on them and not much pushback from Sweden outside of Rudslatt, Ohgren and Ostlund. The Swedish D save for Odelius let Russia push them around.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can confirm, was called out.

I could deffo be talked into having Ivan over McGroarty and Savoie. Personally I still like Wright, Lambert, and Chesley more.

Haven't seen a ton of Yurov still, looks exciting though. Only so much time in the day to keep track of all these damn prospects while trying to maintain my life outside hfboards lol.

Dude, Yurov looks sick. More like your Kovalev style, super skilled, Russian winger.

Probably will end up having him super high as well.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw. I mean, REALLY watch Miroshnichenko. The kid gives me young Ilya Kovalchuk vibes. I don't think he's going to be as talented but that's the style comparison that immediately pops when I watch his game. He is a tank that can stickhandle.

Also holy crap this Swedish team is as soft as a wheel of brie cheese left out in the sun. What happened to their viking spirit? I'm seeing them give up on plays when there's a Russian leaning on them and not much pushback from Sweden outside of Rudslatt, Ohgren and Ostlund. The Swedish D save for Odelius let Russia push them around.

Oh yeah. All that.

He kind of reminds me of the good Svechnikov. Or a better version of Podkolzin.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Oh yeah. All that.

He kind of reminds me of the good Svechnikov. Or a better version of Podkolzin.

I can see the Svechnikov in there as well. I think this kid can Kakko his way to a top 3 draft spot if he continues to play like a bull on the ice. Him and Slafkovsky.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Can definitely see the Red Wings going forward next year and boy oh boy is it looking like there will be some high end guys available!

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I’m very much liking seeing 3 of the top 6 being defence. And even though we need a C big time, I could be easily convinced with a superstar Russian winger.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Russia with the gold against Slovakia, Sweden with the bronze against Finland.

Ohgren and Bystedt were the best players for Sweden by a mile. Russia looked like a damn all star team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
2022 draft looks very deep and tanking make no sense, but 2023 omg. Whoever draft Bedard and Michkov it's going to be like Crosby vs Ovechkin for many years to come

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The Wings may be very fortunate in the sense that their bottom of the league dwelling days may be over by next season and they might be drafting closer to 10 than to 5 but the top 10 is looking to be freaking good. And there is still a small chance for some lotto luck so who knows....At this point, names to keep an eye on (in no specific order at this point) would be:
1. Wright
2. Lambert
3. Savoie
4. Cooley
5. Miroshnichenko
6. Yurov
7. Geekie
8. Howard
9. Ostlund
10. Ohgren
11. Mcgroarty
12. Bystedt
13. Lekkerimaki
And that's not even including kids from the OHL who haven't been able to show off their improvements over the past year. There will be some guys who step up for sure!

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Sell off Bert and Leddy for 1st Rd Picks - even Top 3 or Top 5 protected 1st Rd Picks if they are obvious lotto teams. Having multiple Top 15 picks in this draft would be incredible.

Hell, maybe if we get lucky, DDK shows some serious life back this season knowing it's a UFA year and he returns to full health and we could squeeze some draft capital out of him from Holland would will be looking to strap another vet to that hull of the SS Oiler before heading out on their playoff journey. More 1sts this year!

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The Wings may be very fortunate in the sense that their bottom of the league dwelling days may be over by next season and they might be drafting closer to 10 than to 5 but the top 10 is looking to be freaking good. And there is still a small chance for some lotto luck so who knows....At this point, names to keep an eye on (in no specific order at this point) would be:
1. Wright
2. Lambert
3. Savoie
4. Cooley
5. Miroshnichenko
6. Yurov
7. Geekie
8. Howard
9. Ostlund
10. Ohgren
11. Mcgroarty
12. Bystedt
13. Lekkerimaki
And that's not even including kids from the OHL who haven't been able to show off their improvements over the past year. There will be some guys who step up for sure!

Ostlund didn't have a very strong finish to the Hlinka. I'd like to see more of him as the season progresses but the kid didn't play like a top 15 or top 20 pick.

Bystedt and Ohgren are definitely Swedish players we should keep a close eye on, as well as Calle Odelius.

What do you make of Joakim Kemmel? I only paid close attention to Finland in the bronze game against Sweden.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Ostlund didn't have a very strong finish to the Hlinka. I'd like to see more of him as the season progresses but the kid didn't play like a top 15 or top 20 pick.

Bystedt and Ohgren are definitely Swedish players we should keep a close eye on, as well as Calle Odelius.

What do you make of Joakim Kemmel? I only paid close attention to Finland in the bronze game against Sweden.
I only watched one game of Finland and it was the semi against Slovakia, so I was more focused on the Slovak players since they were dominating

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I only watched one game of Finland and it was the semi against Slovakia, so I was more focused on the Slovak players since they were dominating

Considering the age of the players I'm wondering if Chara, Palffy, Gaborik, Stastny and Demitra just went around and had a bunch of bastard children all over the country. This is the best crop of Slovaks since the mid to late 90's.

Reactions: jfrank21

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Considering the age of the players I'm wondering if Chara, Palffy, Gaborik, Stastny and Demitra just went around and had a bunch of bastard children all over the country. This is the best crop of Slovaks since the mid to late 90's.

They did win the World Championship at 2002. That started a hockey BOOM there, people getting their kids more involved to hockey. This is now happening 20 years after 2002.

I'vee seen same happening in Finland after the first World Championship. Our next generation is very strong starting ~20 years after 1995. It did also lead to investing more on hockey.

I think also Gretzky-hype affected same way in Canadians, because that 1985 born class was so strong, creating the deepest draft class ever at 2003. And also 2005 was great.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have liked this #14 kid on Russia, Ilya Rogovsky, from the games I have seen. Finished the Hlinka slotted as the 2c for Russia. One of the younger kids in the draft, looks talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad