Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #36 - Artem Duda, LHD

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The NCAA is so f***ing stupid, such a joke of an organization.
What exactly is stupid about not allowing a professional athlete from becoming an ameteur student athlete? What's stupid is not allowing CHL Players become student athletes.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
What exactly is stupid about not allowing a professional athlete from becoming an ameteur student athlete?

The line between pro and amateur has blurred to the point that it should be irrelevant to the NCAA.

Suni Lee wins Olympic gold and signs endorsement deals worth $1.5 mil. She then enrolls at Auburn. Sure, she's not being paid to perform gymnastics, but for being a champion gymnast.

Lots of gray lines out there.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What exactly is stupid about not allowing a professional athlete from becoming an ameteur student athlete? What's stupid is not allowing CHL Players become student athletes.

The line between pro and amateur has blurred to the point that it should be irrelevant to the NCAA.

Suni Lee wins Olympic gold and signs endorsement deals worth $1.5 mil. She then enrolls at Auburn. Sure, she's not being paid to perform gymnastics, but for being a champion gymnast.

Craig says he’s going to do an article about this in the off season.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Yet NCAA has never allowed pros to return in team sports, and that's the debate here. Plenty of time to change it but imo there was never a chance Duda was winning that appeal. Or get ready for players who play in the minors for a few years to take development spots from younger players who deserve them.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
What’s annoying is it’s been allowed recently. Tom Willander gets to play for BU this season after suiting up for Roger in the SHL a few times last year. Austin Swankler played for Bowling Green after playing a full season for the Erie Otters. Makes no sense.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yet NCAA has never allowed pros to return in team sports, and that's the debate here. Plenty of time to change it but imo there was never a chance Duda was winning that appeal. Or get ready for players who play in the minors for a few years to take development spots from younger players who deserve them.
No that's not the debate, I said the NCAA was being f***ing stupid and MiG gave you a good reason why. You're just doing your contrarian shtick as usual.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No that's not the debate, I said the NCAA was being f***ing stupid and MiG gave you a good reason why. You're just doing your contrarian shtick as usual.
It's been my assertion since this appeal started.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
However among them only Duda was smart enough to try to run away with an active KHL contract and pretend it wasn't a pro one.
Upd.: Reportedly that was also something Dan Milstein and his company thought as he stopped being Duda's agent after he came up with that idea and they declined to do that.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Whose reality?
NCAA reality. They don't allow professional athletes with contracts to play University team sports. They don't allow Major Junior athletes with rare exceptions to play why would you expect them to actually approve a pro??

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
NCAA reality. They don't allow professional athletes with contracts to play University team sports. They don't allow Major Junior athletes with rare exceptions to play why would you expect them to actually approve a pro??
So it has nothing to do with your reality?

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Tom Willander played pro.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Tom Willander played pro.

I don't know how he was able to play 2 games for the Senior ream but in this article it says he specifically would not play for pro team to keep his college eligibility? Can you say he has a pro contract as Duda does?

"The six-foot-one, right-shot defenceman had a solid draft season with Rogle BK’s junior team but surged to prominence in a starring role for Sweden at the Under-18 world championships. Rogle actually wanted Willander to play on their Swedish Hockey League pro team, but the teenager wanted to remain eligible to play college hockey in the United States, which he will do next season for Boston University."

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't know how he was able to play 2 games for the Senior ream but in this article it says he specifically would not play for pro team to keep his college eligibility? Can you say he has a pro contract as Duda does?

"The six-foot-one, right-shot defenceman had a solid draft season with Rogle BK’s junior team but surged to prominence in a starring role for Sweden at the Under-18 world championships. Rogle actually wanted Willander to play on their Swedish Hockey League pro team, but the teenager wanted to remain eligible to play college hockey in the United States, which he will do next season for Boston University."
From what I heard one of the factors is the salary that is received and NCAA would allow it if it is rather low. As an example, currently in the NCAA there are plenty of Russian players, who were on the pro contracts too, but played only in the MHL and there they play pretty much for peanuts.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I want to know when is the earliest date that Duda can sign an ELC without having to buy out his current contract?

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

Yes, I would like to know the facts in the Wallinder scenario.

I don't know the detail but its fairly common for a player that plays in a pro league to be under contract? I suppose he could have signed an ATO or a PTO but, once again, I would like to know the facts.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yes, I would like to know the facts in the Wallinder scenario.

I don't know the detail but its fairly common for a player that plays in a pro league to be under contract? I suppose he could have signed an ATO or a PTO but, once again, I would like to know the facts.
Just a guess by me but possibly an emergency recall from Pro team's Junior affiliate. I did read after that he was given a one game suspension for playing the 2 pro games. I assume he was not not compensated monetarily for his 2 games with pro team?? The NCAA stance on Major Junior is by far the dumbest rule they have.

Reactions: Kaizen

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I want to know when is the earliest date that Duda can sign an ELC without having to buy out his current contract?
Not an easy question to answer, as currently NHL doesn't allow to sign while having a KHL contract. His current KHL contract is likely suspended now, so I'm not entirely sure, if in this status it will expire at the end of this season as it should've been if it would be active.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Not an easy question to answer, as currently NHL doesn't allow to sign while having a KHL contract. His current KHL contract is likely suspended now, so I'm not entirely sure, if in this status it will expire at the end of this season as it should've been if it would be active.
That's why I was asking. Also doesn't the KHL end before the NHL season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad