Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #36 - Artem Duda, LHD

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just noticed that there is no contract info on his KHL website's profile page anymore, it might mean that he was able to terminate his KHL contract and therefore should be eligible for the USHL.

The NCAA is still reconsidering his status. They reopened his appeal.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The NCAA is still reconsidering his status. They reopened his appeal.
Yeah, but hard to predict how that all will end up - I mean, to prove that a professional player with 21 games in pro leagues is not a professional player will be not too easy. What can be said pretty much for sure though is that, despite the previous reports, returning to Russia is not an option for him.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
If the NCAA and USHL routes fail, could he go to the ECHL, AHL? Not signed to an NHL contract but ECHL/AHL contract. That shouldn’t be breaking a KHL transfer agreement, right? Also wouldn’t force the Coyotes to the 50 contract limit.

HF lawyers discuss………

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At this point, couldn’t we just have him enroll in classes at U of A and play for the Road Runners?
Imagine moving from Moscow to Maine as a teenager. Completely upending your life. Enrolling in classes, making friends, acclimating yourself to a whole new environment and culture, a whole new life. I don’t think now, just a few months later, is the time to turn pro and play in Tucson Arizona all of a sudden.

Reactions: KG and Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
if this kid had gone to class for two months only to get kicked out, that’s really terrible. Can’t they make exceptions for kids from nations at war or something? How is it in anyone’s best interest to kick this kid out? Who does that help?
Politics. It rules the world.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
At this point, couldn’t we just have him enroll in classes at U of A and play for the Road Runners?

Assuming he is AHL ready, then why enroll in classes? I enjoyed my college days, but no one offered me a pro hockey contract to change my mind.

rt

May 13, 2004
"Artem, Artem - a young man's strange erotic journey from Moscow to Maine."

(For people with an odd look on their faces right now...that's a Seinfeld reference)
I’ve read most of Philip Roth’s books and it seems like the Seinfeld joke might almost have been a reference.

Assuming he is AHL ready, then why enroll in classes? I enjoyed my college days, but no one offered me a pro hockey contract to change my mind.
He could be playing in the KHL right now. He’s instead taking courses at Maine. I don’t completely understand why. But I think he should be allowed to play at Maine.

Reactions: Nowotny

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Weird side note, my granddaughter is a freshman at the University of Maine on a academic-softball scholarship. She's gone to some hockey parties and she thinks she's met him. Remember I said "thinks." She's a blonde so take it for what it's worth...

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
There’s a appeal meeting soon.
Has Morgan made any mention of when this appear meeting is/was? I thought it was earlier in November but I haven't been able to track down an exact date.
There could be a bit of a wait after the meeting but it would certainly be a bonus to get this kid playing (not just practising) hockey again.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Has Morgan made any mention of when this appear meeting is/was? I thought it was earlier in November but I haven't been able to track down an exact date.
There could be a bit of a wait after the meeting but it would certainly be a bonus to get this kid playing (not just practising) hockey again.
To answer my own question in the echo chamber here, Craig says we should know next week what the outcome of Duda's final appeal is.:)

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t really see how the USHL is better for him than the KHL would have been. I feel like Tucson would be the best destination, here. Provided he can secure financing to buyout his own KHL deal and the Yotes are willing to give him a max ELC SB to help make him whole.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Staying in the KHL certainly would have been the best option for his growth as a player. He has his reasons for not wanting to play in Russia. I don't blame him. I'm frustrated with how it's turned out though.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Howling Overseas

Dec 9, 2023
Staying in the KHL certainly would have been the best option for his growth as a player. He has his reasons for not wanting to play in Russia. I don't blame him. I'm frustrated with how it's turned out though.
Many young Russians wanted out as the war in Ukraine deteriorated. An opportunity to play and study abroad has more than just hockey on the balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad